My son's first game tommorow...

Hello fellow Husker fans......Tommorow i'll be taking my nine year old son to his first game. I'm sure you all know the anticipation that we are going through right now, its almost unbearable. I was wondering what I can do to make this an unforgetable experience for him?? What are some of the things other than the game that I can take him to? Someone told me they had some type of kid activities before the game on the track northeast of the stadium?? Any suggestions you can give me to make this an unforgetable experience for my son would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time, and GO BIG RED. :bonez

• 1 year later...

I would suggest getting to the game really early 8 or 9AM. This way you have time to walk around and enjoy the tailgating atmosphere. Maybe score some free food as well! You will see lots of Husker fans (including kids) running around having fun. Just seeing thousands of people dressed in red and excited for the game will get him energized and excited.

Buy him a souvenir (a hat, football, tshirt) so he has something to remember this game by forever.

Your friend was right, there are indeed quite a few cool activities going on at the northern track field before the game. Just take a look, you can't miss it.

About an hour before game time take him down to the field (on the sidelines where fans can walk around and stand next to the fence/husker bench). The players will come out to warm up, and he can watch them practice up close. It's very cool, trust me.

Make sure you buy him a red balloon and get in your seats before the band starts playing! Tell him about the balloon tradition (letting it go on the first score) and make sure he waits until the first touchdown.

Make sure he knows all of the chants and participates. Go Big Red! HUSKER POWER!! Get him involved and help him to learn the words/songs/traditions.

Finally, get him excited for the tunnel walk and tell him how cool it is before it starts. When the screen goes black, he will be jumping out of his chair with everyone else.

Those are the big things. I know the food is expensive, but there is something special about enjoying food at the stadium. Maybe get him a pizza/drink to kill time before the game starts. It will be a special meal.

Overall, I think you guys are going to have a great time! Ultimately make sure you answer all of his questions, keep him involved, have fun yourself, and make this a day you will both remember forever.

Good luck and have a blast!