Negative Attitudes

Damn, I guess we better just quit now! We could forfiet the rest of our games and get ready for next year, yeah that's a great idea. Hey I have an idea, let's shut down everything i.e. message boards, etc. until we are dominant again. This is a little off subject, but it realates -I coach youth football, and I told my boys the other night at practice that if I hear any negative talk I am going to treat it like cancer and CUT IT OUT! Yes, my team is also struggling this year, but we still have an outside chance at making the playoffs. The problem is our last two games are against the two best teams in our league. These kids need to believe that they can win, they need as much positive influence as possible to get their best football, and yes it's going to take my best coaching. Can we do it? I don't know, but we are going to give it one hell of a try! Last week a play went bad and I could hear someone in the stands making a coment about the play calling. What the wannabe coach in the stands doesn't realize is that the QB called the wrong play in the huddle (misread the plays on his wrist band). I have the kind of team that needs next to perfection to win (from both players and coaches) not to mention a few lucky breaks. We won the game but only 6 - 0 when we could have easily won by 3 t.d.'s, but we turned the ball over (pretty ironic huh?) I agree with Dave, all this negative talk makes me want to puke. When I hear "oh wahhhh, we suck, oh wahhhh, we can't win....it makes me question the heart of some husker fans. Some have said NU football has lost it's identity, well I think some fans have questionable identity as well. I realize that message boards are to share individual opinions good and bad, but some opinions are ALWAYS negative. Hopefully there are enough "true" fans that will carry the rest through the bad times into the good times once again. GBR for better or worse!

Nebraska would be undefeated and number one in the nation if Bo Pelini was still there and Nebraska ran the option. For what Pelini did last year, there should be a bronzed 12 foot tall statue of him outside memorial stadium. Ok, at least over a message board no one can tell I can't keep a straight face while typing that. :up

Hey, I've been a true Husker fan my whole life and I will be until I die. I've stuck by the team through some pretty ugly losses in the past. Even in the 7-7 season, I had continual optimism week in and week out that we would turn things around. I still have that optimism that eventually we will get back to where we were. But that doesn't change the fact that Pedersen and Co. took the program in the absolute wrong direction. I'm not talking offensive philosophy, I'm talking attitude. How can you fire a 9-3 coach and expect your fans to have the same amount of patience they've had for 40 years?

The cancer you speak of is Pedersen.

Damn, I guess we better just quit now! We could forfiet the rest of our games and get ready for next year, yeah that's a great idea. Hey I have an idea, let's shut down everything i.e. message boards, etc. until we are dominant again. This is a little off subject, but it realates -I coach youth football, and I told my boys the other night at practice that if I hear any negative talk I am going to treat it like cancer and CUT IT OUT! Yes, my team is also struggling this year, but we still have an outside chance at making the playoffs. The problem is our last two games are against the two best teams in our league. These kids need to believe that they can win, they need as much positive influence as possible to get their best football, and yes it's going to take my best coaching. Can we do it? I don't know, but we are going to give it one hell of a try! Last week a play went bad and I could hear someone in the stands making a coment about the play calling. What the wannabe coach in the stands doesn't realize is that the QB called the wrong play in the huddle (misread the plays on his wrist band). I have the kind of team that needs next to perfection to win (from both players and coaches) not to mention a few lucky breaks. We won the game but only 6 - 0 when we could have easily won by 3 t.d.'s, but we turned the ball over (pretty ironic huh?) I agree with Dave, all this negative talk makes me want to puke. When I hear "oh wahhhh, we suck, oh wahhhh, we can't win....it makes me question the heart of some husker fans. Some have said NU football has lost it's identity, well I think some fans have questionable identity as well. I realize that message boards are to share individual opinions good and bad, but some opinions are ALWAYS negative. Hopefully there are enough "true" fans that will carry the rest through the bad times into the good times once again. GBR for better or worse!

My question is were you all super positive last year with solich? Did you agree with him getting fired and how it was done? Alot of the people that say be positive are ones that were negative as hell last year. It's a message board and we can voice our opinions. Me and many others think that Callahan isn't doing a very good job and has plenty of talent to win. He is flat out getting out coached.

Damn, I guess we better just quit now! We could forfiet the rest of our games and get ready for next year, yeah that's a great idea.  Hey I have an idea, let's shut down everything i.e. message boards, etc. until we are dominant again. This is a little off subject, but it realates -I coach youth football, and I told my boys the other night at practice that if I hear any negative talk I am going to treat it like cancer and CUT IT OUT! Yes, my team is also struggling this year, but we still have an outside chance at making the playoffs.  The problem is our last two games are against the two best teams in our league.  These kids need to believe that they can win, they need as much positive influence as possible to get their best football, and yes it's going to take my best coaching.  Can we do it?  I don't know, but we are going to give it one hell of a try!  Last week a play went bad and I could hear someone in the stands making a coment about the play calling.  What the wannabe coach in the stands doesn't realize is that the QB called the wrong play in the huddle (misread the plays on his wrist band).  I have the kind of team that needs next to perfection to win (from both players and coaches) not to mention a few lucky breaks. We won the game but only 6 - 0 when we could have easily won by 3 t.d.'s, but we turned the ball over (pretty ironic huh?) I agree with Dave, all this negative talk makes me want to puke.  When I hear "oh wahhhh, we suck, oh wahhhh, we can't win....it makes me question the heart of some husker fans.  Some have said NU football has lost it's identity, well I think some fans have questionable identity as well. I realize that message boards are to share individual opinions good and bad, but some opinions are ALWAYS negative. Hopefully there are enough "true" fans that will carry the rest through the bad times into the good times once again. GBR for better or worse!

My question is were you all super positive last year with solich? Did you agree with him getting fired and how it was done? Alot of the people that say be positive are ones that were negative as hell last year. It's a message board and we can voice our opinions. Me and many others think that Callahan isn't doing a very good job and has plenty of talent to win. He is flat out getting out coached.

I would not say that i was super positive with solich but that is not the same as being negative. I do agree that we needed a change because we were getting out coached in games last year, maybe not as bad as we have been this year but we were getting out coached last year. Yes, Callahan does have enough talent here to win but I don't think it is the right talent to win with his system. There is a difference and some players talents are just not going to fit into his system. People need to start understanding that the talent that we have now was great for the option offense but it just does not fit into the WCO.

we have plenty of talent here right now to run the west coast offense at every position besides qb. If you look at okie when stoops got there, they were a wishbone type offense that stunk it up but stoops got there and they ran a solid offense and went 7-4 compared to a 3 win season before. We were 10-3 and are heading more for the 5 win season. I dunno.

I don't think that it is fair to compare the two schools. First, Stoops brought in Hypual (sp) from a very good JC school that ran the same offense that OU ran the next year. Stoops got the job early so that he had plenty of time to recruit. Callahan did not have a whole lot of time. Plus, since we had a decent year last year, we could not expect a four win increase this year, because that would be impossible. When people compare us to OU, they compare how the progress took more than one season. They are not comparing year one.

I don't think that it is fair to compare the two schools. First, Stoops brought in Hypual (sp) from a very good JC school that ran the same offense that OU ran the next year. Stoops got the job early so that he had plenty of time to recruit. Callahan did not have a whole lot of time. Plus, since we had a decent year last year, we could not expect a four win increase this year, because that would be impossible. When people compare us to OU, they compare how the progress took more than one season. They are not comparing year one.

Stoops got hired at the end of the year right? So he didn't have alot of time either but he made the most of it and improved his team. Callahan has made our team much much worse.

Stoops got hired at the end of the year right? So he didn't have alot of time either but he made the most of it and improved his team. Callahan has made our team much much worse.

This year, yea we have been worse. But realistically, with the magnitude of changes on both sides of the ball, that should have been expected.

If we aren't playing better in the next 2-3 years, I will agree that he has made the team worse. There is way way too much in the air to same something like that right now IMO.

I think the whole point is Callahan is too arrogant to tweak his offense to fit the talent. I've said before on this board that if he was as great as pedersen says he is, he could adjust to fit the talent he has and transition to what he wants over the next two years. I miss the option and think it was a mistake to scrap it, but I'm not so stubborn to say it should never change. But the fact that in all the games I've seen this year I can't remember seeing the option run once shows the stubbornness of Callahan.

I think forcing things to change when you don't have the talent to do it isn't 'necessary growing pains', its just stupid.

You are forgeting the most important element in college coaching, recruiting. The Stoops are the best recruiters in the country. Thats why they are so good. How do you think K-State got so good? They convinced kids to come to, at the time, a scholl with the worst football tradition ever. If Callahan can't recruit in the next couple of years then cry into your beers. For footballs sake girls don't give up yet.

On the other hand I'd love for that stupid air up doll of yours deflate like your school spirit.

I don't think Dailey would hold to the ball if we ran the option. It seems to me he fumbles everytime he gets hit. I also think they have dumbed down the offense. They only threw the ball 12 times last week and 20 the week before that. The last two weeks we have run the ball almost 80 times. I was positive with the Solich teams also. Crap I stuck with him through 7-7.

I will say that I have to agree with UtahHusker. "Pud" is the cancer that is ruining Husker nation as we speak. For example, Callahan was like the 5th or 6th person on the list of hirees. Why didn't the first 4 or 5 take the job? They either didn't like how Solich was fired, or they didn't want to have to face all the pressure. Hell, Callahan wasn't even fired yet when the job became available. Pud has killed all the spirit of this team and of Husker nation. How many 10-3 seasons did Osbourne have? Did we fire him? Hell no.

In some sort of way, I believe the players are sabotaging this season. I know this may be harsh, but most really liked Solich and Pelini. You don't just rip the heart and soul out of a program and staff that has been around 40 years without crushing some spirits. Again, I believe Callahan is in a lose lose situation. Pud created this mess, and I'm not sure whether or not Callahan or anyone else can rectify the situation immediately. There are a lot of hurt feelings over everything that has happened. When a defense as highly touted as ours was at the end of last year and beginning of this year totally gives up, it doesn't say much for the program. To get the best out of players, you have to give them something to play for. Without the willingness to go to battle for your coach and your school, we have nothing. I would rather be 2-5 knowing the team played with heart, desire, and the best of their abilities than to be our current 4-3 with the team simply giving up.

I will say that I have to agree with UtahHusker.  "Pud" is the cancer that is ruining Husker nation as we speak.  For example, Callahan was like the 5th or 6th person on the list of hirees.  Why didn't the first 4 or 5 take the job?  They either didn't like how Solich was fired, or they didn't want to have to face all the pressure.  Hell, Callahan wasn't even fired yet when the job became available.  Pud has killed all the spirit of this team and of Husker nation.  How many 10-3 seasons did Osbourne have?  Did we fire him?  Hell no. 

In some sort of way, I believe the players are sabotaging this season.  I know this may be harsh, but most really liked Solich and Pelini.  You don't just rip the heart and soul out of a program and staff that has been around 40 years without crushing some spirits.  Again, I believe Callahan is in a lose lose situation.  Pud created this mess, and I'm not sure whether or not Callahan or anyone else can rectify the situation immediately.  There are a lot of hurt feelings over everything that has happened.  When a defense as highly touted as ours was at the end of last year and beginning of this year totally gives up, it doesn't say much for the program.  To get the best out of players, you have to give them something to play for.  Without the willingness to go to battle for your coach and your school, we have nothing.  I would rather be 2-5 knowing the team played with heart, desire, and the best of their abilities than to be our current 4-3 with the team simply giving up.

I would agree but I don't think the team has "given up". Nothing I have heard come out of the players mouths says that they have given up.

That and I am tired of all this sap talk of "oh the spirit and heart is gone *tear*". Suck it up. That sh#t is all in your head as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy watching and listening to games as much as I ever have. I don't like Pedersen as much as the next, guy but that crap doesn't matter much to me right now. What matters right now is football. You know, that game that's played at universities around the country on Saturday's? :)

As far as the players are concerned, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the some of the players this year have been through three coaching staffs in their career. They really haven't had a chance to get really settled in to any system. Now that that crap has hopefully settled down, the current and incoming players can start absorbing the new stuff.

Like newearthhusker said, Callahan and the offensive staff have simplified the offense greatly and it is pretty bare bones right now. Just because the guy can talk to the press without saying uhhhh and ummm a thousand times doesn't mean he is arrogant.

You are forgeting the most important element in college coaching, recruiting. The Stoops are the best recruiters in the country. Thats why they are so good. How do you think K-State got so good? They convinced kids to come to, at the time, a scholl with the worst football tradition ever. If Callahan can't recruit in the next couple of years then cry into your beers. For footballs sake girls don't give up yet.

On the other hand I'd love for that stupid air up doll of yours deflate like your school spirit.

KST recruits in an entirely way, they get a bunch of jucos and hope they can contribute right away. That to me is not recruiting.