The Age is Over

Husker_x

At this point in the season it is very difficult to see anything positive on the horizon. I can honestly say that never in my wildest dreams did I expect the season would turn this ugly this quickly. Yes, I figured perhaps a trap game or two would emerge, perhaps late in the season, but to see the pinkshirts struggle so much against so little when I was expecting an Okie St. game to be more likely is just astounding. Un-friggin-believable.

This defense is far an above the worst in recent memory. From top to bottom there is an absolute lack of every fundamental. I was unable to watch the game this weekend, so if anyone can correct me on some mistake, go right ahead. From what I heard they were getting little pressure, were not getting off blocks, were out of position, and again, couldn't tackle (the tackling was better, but still they missed several), had no team unity, and played with little to no emtion. In case it passed you, read that little bit again. I'll wait. Okay, back? Good. Now, tell me, what's wrong with that picture? Give up? Okay, I'll tell you:

WHAT I JUST LISTED IS THE ENTIRE CONCEPT OF DEFENSE!

Even though all I could do was listen in horror at what the sportscasters were relating to me, I was getting a sick feeling in my stomach. I just cannot believe we have fallen this far under Cosgrove and no one on the staff is even hinting that he's gone. Can you imagine what would have happened if a Tommy Frazier team had come out and played this way? Even when Solich and Crouch were around, this was unacceptable. And, a news flash to Callahan and co., IT STILL IS.

People, we are a baby's hair away from losing our sellout streak. I was planning on attending the Iowa State game next week, but after yesterday, ha! HAhaahahahahahaha...........HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Whooo. I'd sooner pay money to get my fingernails torn off than to watch the pinkshirts get scored on. This slide to mediocrity is not in the process of occuring; it has already happened right before our eyes. And this, if a single finger can be pointed, is entirely Cosgrove's fault. I am not a baby out with the bathwater Nebraska fan. Callahan's offense is showing that it can work against teams large and small (USC and Ball State), but our defense is just so horrible that they are getting booed off the field at MEMORIAL STADIUM!. And you know what? I am absolutely in favor of that.

People will say, "But...that doesn't happen at Nebraska. We don't boo anyone, ever, especially not our own team." You know what else doesn't happen at Nebraska? The performance you saw yesterday. This booing should be a wake up call to you dreamers out there. So far as I'm concerned, our program hit its lowest point these past three weeks. We have no chance of winning the North, and I'll be grateful at this point of Meiser Cosgrove will even allow the crumbs of a winning season to fall from his table.

In three games we've seen the following: we can't defend trick plays, we can't defend the run, and we can't defend the pass. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that just about covers everything minus the fundamentals, which I mentioned already.

Husker Nation, we are in grave danger. Our program cannot suffer anything less than a Big XII North championship, and the thought of beating Mizzery at this point is laughable. Simply ludicrous. We are officially in panic mode. I am for firing Cosgrove at first chance for this reason: the worst that could happen is things continue as they are with another fill-in. Our defense could not conceivably BE any worse, so I think you can all agree that the only way to go is up.

I hope Cosgrove has the decency to step down without a big media shootout beforehand. If not, Callahan has got to do the right thing here. Friend or not, he can't coach defense. He's proven it too many times to count. Maybe in the pros he's better off, where you don't have to worry so much about fundamentals because by this time the players are all so steeped in experience that it's like breathing, but on the college level his record speaks for itself.

This week I expect every player on defnese to turn in their blackshirt. I don't care who they are, what they did, the whys or whats––just please, for the sake of our tradition don't wear them anymore. At least then we can look back and say that the 2007 season was mostly a disaster because we didn't have a blackshirt defense.

For the milk cartons: Have you seen this? :bonez (Missing, September 2007).

X

At this point in the season it is very difficult to see anything positive on the horizon. I can honestly say that never in my wildest dreams did I expect the season would turn this ugly this quickly. Yes, I figured perhaps a trap game or two would emerge, perhaps late in the season, but to see the pinkshirts struggle so much against so little when I was expecting an Okie St. game to be more likely is just astounding. Un-friggin-believable.

This defense is far an above the worst in recent memory. From top to bottom there is an absolute lack of every fundamental. I was unable to watch the game this weekend, so if anyone can correct me on some mistake, go right ahead. From what I heard they were getting little pressure, were not getting off blocks, were out of position, and again, couldn't tackle (the tackling was better, but still they missed several), had no team unity, and played with little to no emtion. In case it passed you, read that little bit again. I'll wait. Okay, back? Good. Now, tell me, what's wrong with that picture? Give up? Okay, I'll tell you:

WHAT I JUST LISTED IS THE ENTIRE CONCEPT OF DEFENSE!

Even though all I could do was listen in horror at what the sportscasters were relating to me, I was getting a sick feeling in my stomach. I just cannot believe we have fallen this far under Cosgrove and no one on the staff is even hinting that he's gone. Can you imagine what would have happened if a Tommy Frazier team had come out and played this way? Even when Solich and Crouch were around, this was unacceptable. And, a news flash to Callahan and co., IT STILL IS.

People, we are a baby's hair away from losing our sellout streak. I was planning on attending the Iowa State game next week, but after yesterday, ha! HAhaahahahahahaha...........HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Whooo. I'd sooner pay money to get my fingernails torn off than to watch the pinkshirts get scored on. This slide to mediocrity is not in the process of occuring; it has already happened right before our eyes. And this, if a single finger can be pointed, is entirely Cosgrove's fault. I am not a baby out with the bathwater Nebraska fan. Callahan's offense is showing that it can work against teams large and small (USC and Ball State), but our defense is just so horrible that they are getting booed off the field at MEMORIAL STADIUM!. And you know what? I am absolutely in favor of that.

People will say, "But...that doesn't happen at Nebraska. We don't boo anyone, ever, especially not our own team." You know what else doesn't happen at Nebraska? The performance you saw yesterday. This booing should be a wake up call to you dreamers out there. So far as I'm concerned, our program hit its lowest point these past three weeks. We have no chance of winning the North, and I'll be grateful at this point of Meiser Cosgrove will even allow the crumbs of a winning season to fall from his table.

In three games we've seen the following: we can't defend trick plays, we can't defend the run, and we can't defend the pass. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that just about covers everything minus the fundamentals, which I mentioned already.

Husker Nation, we are in grave danger. Our program cannot suffer anything less than a Big XII North championship, and the thought of beating Mizzery at this point is laughable. Simply ludicrous. We are officially in panic mode. I am for firing Cosgrove at first chance for this reason: the worst that could happen is things continue as they are with another fill-in. Our defense could not conceivably BE any worse, so I think you can all agree that the only way to go is up.

I hope Cosgrove has the decency to step down without a big media shootout beforehand. If not, Callahan has got to do the right thing here. Friend or not, he can't coach defense. He's proven it too many times to count. Maybe in the pros he's better off, where you don't have to worry so much about fundamentals because by this time the players are all so steeped in experience that it's like breathing, but on the college level his record speaks for itself.

This week I expect every player on defnese to turn in their blackshirt. I don't care who they are, what they did, the whys or whats––just please, for the sake of our tradition don't wear them anymore. At least then we can look back and say that the 2007 season was mostly a disaster because we didn't have a blackshirt defense.

For the milk cartons: Have you seen this? :bonez (Missing, September 2007).

X

Yeah, i definitely think that there's a difference between "We don't boo" and "We don't have a reason to boo"... And, yeah, I've been at games where people have Booed the O before. It's not unheard of, but it's not common, and I didn't always think it was warranted.

i agree with a lot of what you said. however, i'm just not quite ready to say the entire ship is sinking. if that were so, we'd see a lot more rats jumping off. by that i mean, players blaming players, coaches yelling at the media, players quitting during games and a bunch of 'injuries'. i was on a team that won 9 games 5 years in a row in college and then we only won 2 my senior year, trust me, rats jump off a sinking ship.

having said that, i read all the coach and player quotes on huskers.com and you can definetly see some reaction to our D's inaction. Callahan sees it, no doubt. Keller said he was praying. even Ruud said knew they were stinking and it was time to make a few plays.

the simple fact is, this year we may see many close games. i hate close games that seriously make me feel like i'm having a heart attack. as long as we win and the players stick together, then we can still cheer for them and support them. we fans have every right to have a chip on our shoulders and express our 'discomfort' with the current defensive situation.

Cosgrove should see the door this year. however, the players can play for themselves and each other, close out the rest of the world, ban together and just fricking fight...that's what we can ask of them. and in return, they have my support.

if we win the BIGXII even if every game is won by only one point, then i would be proud of them for fighting. it's not like they want Ball St. to happen. i truly believe at this point it's the coach. so, i will support the players and not be mad at them anymore so long as they never give up. but i like our teams' chances and think there is still plenty of time to turn it around. except cosgrove

I just don't see how Coz can wake up each morning, put on his Husker shirt, go to his office and think he is living up to the traditions of Husker Nation. He has put this team in a downward spiral...even though he has some of "his" players in the "schemes".

If he wants to send a message to the fans, then he should pull every single Blackshirt away from the players and start over from scratch. If he doesn't, then Bowman, Ruud, McKeon need to step and have a team meeting to take them away.

I have never been so pissed off at the Blackshirts than I have the past two weeks. Giving up 40+ points to USC was very hard to take, but to BALL STATE?!?!?!?!? I can't even make a half-a$$ excuse for that.

Someone needs to make a statement...BC, Stevie, or even Coz needs to come out and say he needs help!!!!!

i agree with a lot of what you said. however, i'm just not quite ready to say the entire ship is sinking. if that were so, we'd see a lot more rats jumping off. by that i mean, players blaming players, coaches yelling at the media, players quitting during games and a bunch of 'injuries'. i was on a team that won 9 games 5 years in a row in college and then we only won 2 my senior year, trust me, rats jump off a sinking ship.

having said that, i read all the coach and player quotes on huskers.com and you can definetly see some reaction to our D's inaction. Callahan sees it, no doubt. Keller said he was praying. even Ruud said knew they were stinking and it was time to make a few plays.

the simple fact is, this year we may see many close games. i hate close games that seriously make me feel like i'm having a heart attack. as long as we win and the players stick together, then we can still cheer for them and support them. we fans have every right to have a chip on our shoulders and express our 'discomfort' with the current defensive situation.

Cosgrove should see the door this year. however, the players can play for themselves and each other, close out the rest of the world, ban together and just fricking fight...that's what we can ask of them. and in return, they have my support.

if we win the BIGXII even if every game is won by only one point, then i would be proud of them for

fighting. it's not like they want Ball St. to happen. i truly believe at this point it's the coach. so, i will support the players and not be mad at them anymore so long as they never give up. but i like our teams' chances and think there is still plenty of time to turn it around. except cosgrove

I agree that I would love to see the defense hunker down together and just carry each other through the storm that is brewing. However, it isn't going to happen. Why? Because there's no unity, no passion. These guys are zombies, unfit to play for Nebraska. Outside of Octo and Bowman, the whole lot of them are a washout. Suh continually disappoints me, although he is only one man on the D-line. I just expected so much more, and now that we're getting humiliated by MAC teams, I have no faith in any of them to do anything. Best thing to do is get the next generation of kids on the field. We need to start getting them game experience now, so that our whole future isn't in jeapordy. Ruud and McKeon––gone. At least get the younger LBs plenty of playing time.

My hope is dead, unfortunately. I waited to post this article to make sure it wasn't simply reactionary. But now that I've zoned to my farthest intellecual objective point possible, I can see that I have not one good reason to assume this season will be anything but failure.

if we win the BIGXII even if every game is won by only one point, then i would be proud of them for fighting. it's not like they want Ball St. to happen. i truly believe at this point it's the coach. so, i will support the players and not be mad at them anymore so long as they never give up. but i like our teams' chances and think there is still plenty of time to turn it around. except cosgrove

How can I post anything when you take the words right out of my mouth!!!! :lol: Great post man and you are right on...............stand behind the players, but not Coz!!!

Alright everybody,

First of all, Hello and greetings from Colorado. Yeah I'm a Buff fan, but before you slam me just listen. The Huskers pulled out a win. I know it was ugly, but a win it was. Second you guys must understand the age of parity in college football is upon us. There are more good athletes going to the smaller schools these days and upsets are in the making. No team is a gimme game anymore. See Appalachian State, and as much as I'd like to forget... Montana State. Your guys came off of an emotional week against USC and I'm sure they were stunned a bit by USC. And this was Ball States Bowl game! They responded poorly against Ball State (blame to coaching) but they pulled it out and their record is still fine. Your team is still the class of the North talent wise and should beat Mizzou, even though they look pretty good now, they have to beat you to win it.

Coach Callahan in my opinion has underachieved since his arrival. Yes this offense I think might be his best so far, but I think he has neglected the defense in order to build his offense, and any blame must go squarely on his shoulders. I don't think he's the man to bring the program to the top again. (Good for my Buffs, but not good for the North) I am shocked that he got a contract extension this early in the year.

Lastly, you will pull through it, your team will respond. Good luck with Big Twelve play and win the North. Except for the last game of course! All is not lost!

Alright everybody,

First of all, Hello and greetings from Colorado. Yeah I'm a Buff fan, but before you slam me just listen. The Huskers pulled out a win. I know it was ugly, but a win it was. Second you guys must understand the age of parity in college football is upon us. There are more good athletes going to the smaller schools these days and upsets are in the making. No team is a gimme game anymore. See Appalachian State, and as much as I'd like to forget... Montana State. Your guys came off of an emotional week against USC and I'm sure they were stunned a bit by USC. And this was Ball States Bowl game! They responded poorly against Ball State (blame to coaching) but they pulled it out and their record is still fine. Your team is still the class of the North talent wise and should beat Mizzou, even though they look pretty good now, they have to beat you to win it.

Coach Callahan in my opinion has underachieved since his arrival. Yes this offense I think might be his best so far, but I think he has neglected the defense in order to build his offense, and any blame must go squarely on his shoulders. I don't think he's the man to bring the program to the top again. (Good for my Buffs, but not good for the North) I am shocked that he got a contract extension this early in the year.

Lastly, you will pull through it, your team will respond. Good luck with Big Twelve play and win the North. Except for the last game of course! All is not lost!

Hey Thunder welcome to the board and thanks for your post. I agree that something is definately different about this college football season compared to the ones in the past because a lot of teams people are writing off are playing those larger schools tough! I think this is going to do two things for us either 1. It's going to bring our team together and they are going to find out what they are really made of. or 2. It's going to drive a wedge down the middle of the team and is going to tear us apart!