Booing

Washusker

These aren't kids on the field, they're young men, and part of being a man is putting those things behind you, sucking it up and trying to do better next time

Putting things behind you and moving on. Don't you bring up something that happened in 2003 a lot? <_<

Actually, I don't bring it up myself too often, I just respond to others who do. But nevertheless, you're right, and I WILL move on, once Pedey's gone.

I agree with Bugeater, sometimes the frustrations just boil over. It doesn't make booing acceptable, merely understandable.

By the way, this is such a tiny, insignificant bump in the progress of our team for fans to start jumping off the bandwagon. Our 30+ year sellout streak is unmatched and a testament to the loyalty of our fans....but at the same time, these have been some pretty fair 30 years. Yeah, there was that time we went 11-2, 7-7, 10-3, 5-6, 8-4, 9-5. That's nothing. I ask you, if we go through what USC did in the 90s, if we somehow happened to fall upon real hard times and have say, 6 losing seasons in a span of 10 years, does that streak snap?

Our streak has never been challenged by truly foul weather IMO. So to those who boo, vent frustrations, or talk about not getting what they're paying for: unacceptable if you're a real Husker fan.

If all the people that booed yesterday had stayed home, our sellout streak would have snapped.

Might as well lose that one as well.

"Greatest fans in America" was more of a fictional title, anyway.

I always wondered how Booing came about or what benefit it served.

Where Do Hecklers Come From?

The origins of booing.

By Sonia Smith

Posted Wednesday, May 10, 2006, at 5:57 PM ET

Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson was razzed on his home turf on Tuesday night as the team fumbled toward an embarrassing 14-3 loss to the Red Sox. The Yankee Stadium crowd booed Johnson as he left the game in the fourth inning. Where does booing come from?

The first written record comes from ancient Greece. At the annual Festival of Dionysia in Athens, playwrights competed to determine whose tragedy was the best. When the democratic reformer Cleisthenes came to power in the sixth century B.C., audience participation came to be regarded as a civic duty. The audience applauded to show its approval and shouted and whistled to show displeasure.

In ancient Rome, jeering was common at the gladiatorial games, where audience participation often determined whether a competitor lived or died. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the Latin verb explodere means "to drive out by clapping, hiss (a player) off the stage."

While people have expressed displeasure publicly since ancient times, the English word boo was first used in the early 19th century to describe the lowing sound that cattle make. Later in the 1800s, the word came to be used to describe the disapproving cry of crowds. Hoot, another onomatopoeic English word, was used as early as 1225 to describe the same phenomenon. (Ancient Greek and Latin both contain words resembling boo that mean "to cry or shout aloud," though there is no known etymological connection to the modern English word.)

If baseball had European origins, the crowd might have whistled at Randy Johnson. Whistling has long signified disapproval in Europe, as well as in South America.

How about next week with Iowa State..we just MOO at their cheerleaders?

I have a problem with anyone who saw the way the defense played yesterday and wasn't booing. We hold these players up so high when they do good things, but we're supposed to just bite our tongues when they play like St. Mary's School for the Blind. You can't have it both ways. Don't expect real fans that care about their team to stand by and blindly accept a performance like what we witnessed yesterday. Not booing doesn't make you a better person, doesn't make you classy, and doesn't make you a bigger Husker fan. We all know how badly the defense played yesterday, some of us just weren't afraid to voice our displeasure.

I have a problem with anyone who saw the way the defense played yesterday and wasn't booing. We hold these players up so high when they do good things, but we're supposed to just bite our tongues when they play like St. Mary's School for the Blind. You can't have it both ways. Don't expect real fans that care about their team to stand by and blindly accept a performance like what we witnessed yesterday. Not booing doesn't make you a better person, doesn't make you classy, and doesn't make you a bigger Husker fan. We all know how badly the defense played yesterday, some of us just weren't afraid to voice our displeasure.

So..Did it help?

I totally agree with you Washusker. As a student at the University who has classes with athletes and has several friends who are/were athletes here, I myself feel ashamed when others around me are booing. As a fan in the stands I feel one of my major roles is to do anything I can to help the team win (ie make noise on D, cheer for a big play), but by booing I see no benefit coming from it. Will the defense suddenly become 11 Ray Lewis' or will Cosgrove suddenly turn back into Bo Pelini, the obvious answer is no. With that aside, fans do have the RIGHT to boo if they want, but I think that it is classless and pointless.

Post of the week.

:bonez

way to pick one in 80 athletes

I notice you didn't name any names....

But I could name literally HUNDREDS of Academic All-Americans NU has produced.

You can boo all you want when they start getting paid. Otherwise, it's low-class.

I could name some names...

By the way Maurice Purify's article on particle acceleration was gripping....

Because not writing articles on particle acceleration merits booing, surely.

What are you talking about, anyway? I think particle acceleration is a tad too basic for what you're trying to go for. Particle acceleration is simple high school physics and refers to the change in velocity of a particle moving through a medium. So honestly, who'd write a new article on something that's been covered a billion times in the most elementary physics textbooks?

And it only takes a journalist to write an article on particle accelerators. But what's your point? It'd be pretty exceptional for an undergrad to get first author on a scientific paper anyway...

if you wanted to get technical ;)

You know, I've thought about it, and I don't think it's proper to boo these kids. I know I've BOOOOOOOOed on this board, but I personally don't think it's appropriate for Memorial Stadium.

I'm all for booing professional teams. If I pay for a ticket, I've got some right to voice my displeasure when the team plays poorly.

But these kids are student athletes. Most are competing for the love of the game, nothing more. Most won't be wearing a football helmet in four years.

I think the proper vocal emotion is NO vocal emotion. Just go silent. And write plenty of letters to newspapers voicing displeasure with Cosgrove - nothing wrong with that. And bug the crap out of Pederson and the Ath. Dept.

But leave the players alone. If you can't yell something nice, don't yell anything at all.

It's a funny thing about booing and how short everyone's memory is. I remember in 1995. It was the first home game. Halfway through the third quarter, a young man by the name of Brook Berringer (anyone remember him or ever hear of him?) trots onto the field. The crowd goes wild with booing because the heralded Frazier was being replaced. 8 short months later, that same young man is killed in an airplane wreck. Husker fans were falling all over themselves sending sympathy cards and such to the family.

And you guys want to bitch and moan about a little booing last Saturday? Wow!