WR Laron Byrd

chamrocck

***Update***

Some kind of though Byrd was out of the mix here at Nebraska and to be honest so do I. It appears that coach Papuchis hasn't. At this poing Byrd is still planning to make his trip to Lincoln next weekend.

Oh man, this would be an amazing pick up if we could get him.

Might take a miracle, but crazier things have happened...

From Husker Journal:

JANUARY 25, 2008. PREP STAR

LARON BYRD, WR, 6-3, 210, 4.5, BOUTTE (HAHNVILLE), LOUISIANA

“I visit Nebraska this weekend. I leave for Nebraska Saturday morning, I have a basketball game Friday night.” said Byrd, “Coach John Papuchis is recruiting me. I knew him when he was at LSU. JP is a cool guy. Buddy Wyatt was recruiting me when he was there.”

“Nebraska coaches didn’t say if I could play early, it would depend how I perform. I know Nebraska’s defense needs some work, but I play offense.”

“If I like it at Nebraska I would not commit on the spot, I would come home and talk it over with my family.”

“Nebraska has great tradition, a powerhouse. Mo Purify did well there that’s one reason why I would consider Nebraska.”

“Auburn has a new offensive coordinator, Tony Franklin.” he said, “Auburn is going to change their offense some. They are going to throw the ball more. I thought Auburn would mostly run the ball more.”

“Sylvester Croom (Mississippi State) is a real cool guy.” said Byrd, “Mississippi is a laid back state. Is not a party town, it’s a quite city which is OK. Its (the university) is kind of in an isolated area.”

“Tulane was the first school to offer me. I really liked it there.” he said, “They have great facilities. The training room is like a doctor’s office, if you’re hurt that’s the place to be.”

“Tulane is a private school and the education is great. They are only a 30 minute drive from home. Coach Johnson is my recruiter.”

“I went to Miami’s camp last summer and they told me I was a real good player, and they would keep recruiting me. I like Coach Shannon, he has sent Miami big name wide receivers to the NFL.” he said.

“Miami has commitments from two 5-foot 9-inch receivers, none my size. The two they have now might play other positions.”

Laron’s recruiting visits: Tulane (12/17), Auburn (1/11), Mississippi State (1/18), Nebraska (1/25), Miami (2/1)

He got his Miami-FL offer, so it might be hard to pull him now. Not impossible, but hard.

Also, he doesn't need to listen to this garbage about Miami's THREE WR recruits playing other positions.

Travis Benjamin is a 5'11 141lbs WR. No, that is not a typo. They guy will have to put on 40lbs just to play another position. Not only that, but that would have to be insane to play him at another position. That little guy is insanely quick and an absolute terror with the ball in his hands.

Aldarius Johnson is 6'2 200lbs and a top 100 player. He isn't going anywhere.

Kendall Thompkins is the same as Benjamin. He is 5'10 165lbs and just like Benjamin, an absolute terror with the ball in his hands. He won't play another position.

I hate when college recruiters tell these kids garbage like that to get them to their college. When they do that, the kid gets to the campus and they essentially just jerk the kid around since he cannot do much about it. The kid ends up unhappy and the only option they have is to transfer and lose a year of eligibility. Just stupid.