Would you pay $1200 for inside Husker info?

HuskerExpat

Talk in Texas is that this may be a way for the Aggies to fire Fran without the huge buyout. Here is a scan of his contract:

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics...texas_am_fb.pdf

Read Section 10 on page 12. Apparently Fran did not report this income to the university.

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

The key is how you define income. If it is just money going into his pocket, then this is income. If it is income in the taxable, IRS, sense, then it might not be income, since he is claiming that he used all the money to pay his web site "business." If his web site didn't make a profit, then there would be nothing to report as "income," if the contractual definition of income is the same as the IRS definition.

Texas A&M Coach Stops Selling Newsletter With Inside Information

Saturday, September 29, 2007; Page E02

The Texas A&M athletic director said he didn't know until two weeks ago that Coach Dennis Franchione was providing inside information on the Aggies in a newsletter to boosters who paid $1,200 per year.

"When I saw a copy of an e-mail, I called Coach Fran and recommended this program be discontinued," AD Bill Byrne said in a statement released yesterday. "I understand he stopped at that time."

Washington Post article

Ha ha. Coach Fran got busted by $Bill. :lol:

Texas A&M Coach Stops Selling Newsletter With Inside Information

Saturday, September 29, 2007; Page E02

The Texas A&M athletic director said he didn't know until two weeks ago that Coach Dennis Franchione was providing inside information on the Aggies in a newsletter to boosters who paid $1,200 per year.

"When I saw a copy of an e-mail, I called Coach Fran and recommended this program be discontinued," AD Bill Byrne said in a statement released yesterday. "I understand he stopped at that time."

Washington Post article

Ha ha. Coach Fran got busted by $Bill. :lol:

Yes for Dollar Bill to turn down any money would make you worried about something fishy going on.

Course Dollar Bill just might have been upset he didn't think of it first.

Talk in Texas is that this may be a way for the Aggies to fire Fran without the huge buyout. Here is a scan of his contract:

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics...texas_am_fb.pdf

Read Section 10 on page 12. Apparently Fran did not report this income to the university.

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

The key is how you define income. If it is just money going into his pocket, then this is income. If it is income in the taxable, IRS, sense, then it might not be income, since he is claiming that he used all the money to pay his web site "business." If his web site didn't make a profit, then there would be nothing to report as "income," if the contractual definition of income is the same as the IRS definition.

I think the key is going to be whether or not there's an NCAA infractions. I heard A&M can fire Fran without having to honor the buy-out clause IF he commits any NCAA infractions.

forget NCAA rules. He may have broken the law. It is against the law to disclose other people's medical conditions without their approval. And as the players showed shock, they didnt know. Bye bye Fran.

The HIPAA regulations apply only to certain "covered" entities such as health care providers. However, the equivalent state laws in Texas are stricter than the federal HIPAA (sometimes called "super-HIPAA") so it's possible you may be right. Maybe the university is a covered entity and the coach would then be in trouble as a representative of the school.

I was actually down in aggieland last weekend and many of the alumni want him gone, which isnt a suprise his only quality win was last year against texas. but also i must say after getting the gameday experience, there wasnt much enthusiams, i could sit there and talk to my four friends the whole game, it never got as loud as i have experienced in my fourteen years of husker games. as a high school senior i was considering going there but after that weekend it was a let down. im just fortuanate enough that the huskers are my team.