RECRUITING RATINGS ARE A SCAM AND SAVED THIS STAFF'S JOBS.

Look...

There is a huge difference between pro football and high school football--a much bigger gap than in basketball--so when a high school kid enrolls in college, it becomes very important that he be developed, taught fundamentals, etc. No athlete can get away on raw talent alone on the college level, period, which leads me to this. So when you see all of these freshmen that are supposed to be contributing, keep in mind that they have terrible coaches, so they are sitting on their talent, learning on their own (not easy for most young men).

Moving on...

When it comes to rivals, scout and all that other crap, I can understand the hype for basketball. It's pretty easy to see who is going to be a killer in that realm. However, in football, the ratings are worthless... here's why:

Websites get money based on the hits and media coverage they receive. It has nothing to do with what player is going to what school. It has to do with how many fans are going to hit up their website. In the case of fanatic Nebraska fans who desperately want to see a return to glory, we are the perfect bait. When Gabbert committed, his 4-star status magically jumped to five-star--in the off-season. When we picked up Jonas Gray, his boy Kenny's 3-star status went up to four-star. Why? Because Nebraska fans will freak out about it and hit their website, hoping the linebacker will commit as well.

The reason I point this out is because this coaching staff has one leg to stand on, and that's the recruiting one. But can anyone honestly tell me that there are more playmakers on the field than there were in 2003?!

Do you really think Marlon Lucky was the number 2 back in the nation? That's higher than Ahman... do you think that David Horne was number 5? C'mon... you've been had.

The truth is that this team is a hell of a lot less talented than the 2003 team, offensively and defensively. I'll take Jammal Lord, Matt Herian, and Wilson Thomas over this offense any day. Defensively, I don't even have to start... it isn't just coaching. Those coaches recruited Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams, the Bullocks Brothers, Trevor Johnson... stop with the recruiting crap. Solich's last staff was waaaaay better at recruiting and, more importantly, DEVELOPING talent.

Don't forget our 2003 losses came to Vince Young, Ell Roberson and Darren Sproles, and a fluke loss to Brad Smith.

Don't be a victim to the hype machine.

Websites can get ad money. But typically they make a lot of money on subscriptions. Actually gathering money from people.

So player's ratings are increased because it will generate more revenue? hmm. I guess it can't be because the sites got more film on a kid than they had before. Truth is there are a lot of kids out there and on some of em, they don't have much information on them initially.

A few of your thoughts are bit far fetched for me.

I can't believe you just said "I'll take Jammal 'It's my ball and I'm running it' Lord." I need Jamal Lord like I need another hole in my head!

Oh and I am going to go ahead and move this to the recruiting forum.

Websites get money based on the hits and media coverage they receive. It has nothing to do with what player is going to what school. It has to do with how many fans are going to hit up their website. In the case of fanatic Nebraska fans who desperately want to see a return to glory, we are the perfect bait. When Gabbert committed, his 4-star status magically jumped to five-star--in the off-season.

Really? I would have assumed it to be because he was named MVP of the Nike Camp over the summer...

"Websites can get ad money. But typically they make a lot of money on subscriptions. Actually gathering money from people."

I bet there are a hell of a lot of Nebraska subscribers.

"So player's ratings are increased because it will generate more revenue? hmm. I guess it can't be because the sites got more film on a kid than they had before. Truth is there are a lot of kids out there and on some of em, they don't have much information on them initially."

Anyone can go to a kid's game two weeks in a row and have two new films... compared to the amount of money the kid can generate with a high rating? It's probably worth it.

"A few of your thoughts are bit far fetched for me.

I can't believe you just said "I'll take Jammal 'It's my ball and I'm running it' Lord." I need Jamal Lord like I need another hole in my head!"

An athlete at quarterback just torched us two weeks in a row.... Jammal was a part of system that rarely got us blown out. The option is far superior than the dated WC... it keeps the ball from the defense and tires out opponents in the second half. It also puts the ball in an athlete's hand every single play. Jammal had no O-Line that year, and he was still an amazing quarterback, with as much athleticism as we've ever had. He went to the NFL.

Websites get money based on the hits and media coverage they receive. It has nothing to do with what player is going to what school. It has to do with how many fans are going to hit up their website. In the case of fanatic Nebraska fans who desperately want to see a return to glory, we are the perfect bait. When Gabbert committed, his 4-star status magically jumped to five-star--in the off-season.

Really? I would have assumed it to be because he was named MVP of the Nike Camp over the summer...

And your boy Kenny? Thought so...

This is a pointless argument anyways. Maybe Callahan gets good recruits...maybe he doesnt. But it doesnt matter because he will turn every single good recruit we get into an unmotivated drone playing on a football field

I don't think it's pointless that the 2003 was a very talented football team with good coaches.

What else is this coaching staff leaning on as a crutch besides recruiting?

You missed my point. Yes, I completely agree that good recruiting is the only leg that Bill Callahan has to stand on. The point is that Bill Callahan has demonstrated that he is incapable of turning a good recruiting class into a good football team. If we ended up with the #1 recruiting class in the nation this year, we'd still be mediocre 4 years from now unless Bill Callahan is shown the door

You missed my point. Yes, I completely agree that good recruiting is the only leg that Bill Callahan has to stand on. The point is that Bill Callahan has demonstrated that he is incapable of turning a good recruiting class into a good football team.

I hear you, but you missed my point...

Callahan doesn't have hardly any good recruits. That was my point. The system is a scam.

If you would have left your argument at these coaches cannot 'coach up' these recruits, then you may have ground to stand on.

But for the facts you try to state about some of our players being over-hyped, well that is a bit far fetched, to say the least. Stars don't mean anything? Why is it that places like Texas, USC, LSU, Florida, etc., get the best talent year in, year out and are consistently among the elite in college football? Because talent level (i.e., star rankings) mean quite a bit.

Now with star rankings, there are always things you cannot factor in. Work ethic, off the field issues, legal trouble, etc., but that goes along with everything else.

The other thing you cannot factor in is that the ratio of 3*'s to make an impact as compare to 5* players. There would be more players to make an impact that are in that range, because there are SIGNIFICANTLY more of them.

Gabbert moved up in the rankings because of the fact he won MVP of the NIKE Camp he attended, to go along with the fact he was far and away the best QB at the Elite 11 Camp. That is how all players make a significant jump in the summer time when they are not playing any games.

But all in all, if you don't like the rankings, just don't read 'em. :)

If you would have left your argument at these coaches cannot 'coach up' these recruits, then you may have ground to stand on.

But for the facts you try to state about some of our players being over-hyped, well that is a bit far fetched, to say the least. Stars don't mean anything? Why is it that places like Texas, USC, LSU, Florida, etc., get the best talent year in, year out and are consistently among the elite in college football? Because talent level (i.e., star rankings) mean quite a bit.

Now with star rankings, there are always things you cannot factor in. Work ethic, off the field issues, legal trouble, etc., but that goes along with everything else.

The other thing you cannot factor in is that the ratio of 3*'s to make an impact as compare to 5* players. There would be more players to make an impact that are in that range, because there are SIGNIFICANTLY more of them.

Gabbert moved up in the rankings because of the fact he won MVP of the NIKE Camp he attended, to go along with the fact he was far and away the best QB at the Elite 11 Camp. That is how all players make a significant jump in the summer time when they are not playing any games.

But all in all, if you don't like the rankings, just don't read 'em. :)

I won't.. I'll check out their stats this season.

oooooo :)