RECRUITING RATINGS ARE A SCAM AND SAVED THIS STAFF'S JOBS.

If you would have left your argument at these coaches cannot 'coach up' these recruits, then you may have ground to stand on.

But for the facts you try to state about some of our players being over-hyped, well that is a bit far fetched, to say the least. Stars don't mean anything? Why is it that places like Texas, USC, LSU, Florida, etc., get the best talent year in, year out and are consistently among the elite in college football? Because talent level (i.e., star rankings) mean quite a bit.

Now with star rankings, there are always things you cannot factor in. Work ethic, off the field issues, legal trouble, etc., but that goes along with everything else.

The other thing you cannot factor in is that the ratio of 3*'s to make an impact as compare to 5* players. There would be more players to make an impact that are in that range, because there are SIGNIFICANTLY more of them.

Gabbert moved up in the rankings because of the fact he won MVP of the NIKE Camp he attended, to go along with the fact he was far and away the best QB at the Elite 11 Camp. That is how all players make a significant jump in the summer time when they are not playing any games.

But all in all, if you don't like the rankings, just don't read 'em. :)

It might be because the players don't get a high ranking until those teams actually start offering them. I could see USC recruiting a player thats has 2 stars and the next week that kid would probably have 2 stars added to his ranking.

Websites get money based on the hits and media coverage they receive. It has nothing to do with what player is going to what school. It has to do with how many fans are going to hit up their website. In the case of fanatic Nebraska fans who desperately want to see a return to glory, we are the perfect bait. When Gabbert committed, his 4-star status magically jumped to five-star--in the off-season.

Really? I would have assumed it to be because he was named MVP of the Nike Camp over the summer...

:yeah

Look...

There is a huge difference between pro football and high school football--a much bigger gap than in basketball--so when a high school kid enrolls in college, it becomes very important that he be developed, taught fundamentals, etc. No athlete can get away on raw talent alone on the college level, period, which leads me to this. So when you see all of these freshmen that are supposed to be contributing, keep in mind that they have terrible coaches, so they are sitting on their talent, learning on their own (not easy for most young men).

Moving on...

When it comes to rivals, scout and all that other crap, I can understand the hype for basketball. It's pretty easy to see who is going to be a killer in that realm. However, in football, the ratings are worthless... here's why:

Websites get money based on the hits and media coverage they receive. It has nothing to do with what player is going to what school. It has to do with how many fans are going to hit up their website. In the case of fanatic Nebraska fans who desperately want to see a return to glory, we are the perfect bait. When Gabbert committed, his 4-star status magically jumped to five-star--in the off-season. When we picked up Jonas Gray, his boy Kenny's 3-star status went up to four-star. Why? Because Nebraska fans will freak out about it and hit their website, hoping the linebacker will commit as well.

The reason I point this out is because this coaching staff has one leg to stand on, and that's the recruiting one. But can anyone honestly tell me that there are more playmakers on the field than there were in 2003?!

Do you really think Marlon Lucky was the number 2 back in the nation? That's higher than Ahman... do you think that David Horne was number 5? C'mon... you've been had.

The truth is that this team is a hell of a lot less talented than the 2003 team, offensively and defensively. I'll take Jammal Lord, Matt Herian, and Wilson Thomas over this offense any day. Defensively, I don't even have to start... it isn't just coaching. Those coaches recruited Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams, the Bullocks Brothers, Trevor Johnson... stop with the recruiting crap. Solich's last staff was waaaaay better at recruiting and, more importantly, DEVELOPING talent.

Don't forget our 2003 losses came to Vince Young, Ell Roberson and Darren Sproles, and a fluke loss to Brad Smith.

Don't be a victim to the hype machine.

I bet the executives at Rivals have also sabatoged cars so they combust when you syphon gas out or they're using radiation to cause tumors. Hell, they paid a player to dislocate a qb's shoulder .

Websites get money based on the hits and media coverage they receive. It has nothing to do with what player is going to what school. It has to do with how many fans are going to hit up their website. In the case of fanatic Nebraska fans who desperately want to see a return to glory, we are the perfect bait. When Gabbert committed, his 4-star status magically jumped to five-star--in the off-season.

Really? I would have assumed it to be because he was named MVP of the Nike Camp over the summer...

the Nike Camp in Columbia, the Elite QB camp at NU, and the Elite Eleven in Vegas

i dont think any of that had anything to do with his star rating going from 4 to 5 either :sarcasm

all i'm saying is this:

Don't think this staff can recruit better than the staff of 2003. That's a lie. The entire defense that year went pro. The offense was just as prolific (and it was wack).

That team, talent wise alone, poops all over anything we've had since.

And, yes, Rivals and Scout is notorious for adding stars to recruits once they get an offer... the best of the best? Perhaps not... I see the point with Gabbert. Then again, he's had a hell of a senior season (ha).

So this coaching staff has absolutely no leg left to stand on. The talent has gone down.

If you would have left your argument at these coaches cannot 'coach up' these recruits, then you may have ground to stand on.

But for the facts you try to state about some of our players being over-hyped, well that is a bit far fetched, to say the least. Stars don't mean anything? Why is it that places like Texas, USC, LSU, Florida, etc., get the best talent year in, year out and are consistently among the elite in college football? Because talent level (i.e., star rankings) mean quite a bit.

Now with star rankings, there are always things you cannot factor in. Work ethic, off the field issues, legal trouble, etc., but that goes along with everything else.

The other thing you cannot factor in is that the ratio of 3*'s to make an impact as compare to 5* players. There would be more players to make an impact that are in that range, because there are SIGNIFICANTLY more of them.

Gabbert moved up in the rankings because of the fact he won MVP of the NIKE Camp he attended, to go along with the fact he was far and away the best QB at the Elite 11 Camp. That is how all players make a significant jump in the summer time when they are not playing any games.

It might be because the players don't get a high ranking until those teams actually start offering them. I could see USC recruiting a player thats has 2 stars and the next week that kid would probably have 2 stars added to his ranking.

It's a mixture, I think, but as long as there is a profit motive, those PROFIT-DRIVEN-COMPANIES are not going to be objective. They're like any other media publication.

So how does that explain the star quality of Husker recruits? They must be at least 1 or 2 stars better than the services give them since the Huskers play like a high school team.

Many of the players on the '04 defense that went pro later admitted to giving up towards the end of the season.

It was their third set of coaches in three years. No player should have to go through that. It's hard to blame them for being upset and quiting. At the same time, it's hard to fault the coaches when the players they inherit refuse to play for them.

So how does that explain the star quality of Husker recruits? They must be at least 1 or 2 stars better than the services give them since the Huskers play like a high school team.

wow. lol.