What Will TO Do?

I can't see it happening at all, Callahan wanting or accepting help from T.O. Can you?

No. He's a know-it-all NFL guy. He can't even say Dr. Tom's name in a press conference. They've spoken two or three times in 4 years. Callahan bristles at the name of Dr. Tom. That's why Callahan will QUIT within the next 15 days and leave his assistants out to dry.

Egomaniac and with no real reason to be.

Yeah, that's what I think. Callahan would never stoop so low as to seek advice from a college coach.

I can't see it happening at all, Callahan wanting or accepting help from T.O. Can you?

No. He's a know-it-all NFL guy. He can't even say Dr. Tom's name in a press conference. They've spoken two or three times in 4 years. Callahan bristles at the name of Dr. Tom. That's why Callahan will QUIT within the next 15 days and leave his assistants out to dry.

I think your wrong there and that he does care about how this will work out for everyone. Every HC knows that he is not only the one to put bread on the table for his family but also for the families of all those on his staff. No HC would ever wish to leave his guys out to dry, I think he is trying to play this out the best way possible and that he has/will talk to TO and get an understanding that what is best is best but lets not ruin peoples lives anymore than they have too. I don't see TO not being a fair man to everyone on the staff.

As far as Cally talking to TO about football related issues I think that would be a mistake. If Cally talks to TO itll be mistaken as, OH cally cant do it by himself and needs TO's crutch. But if Cally doesn't talk to TO its, Cally is alienating the sanctaty of Husker football. Its a no win situation that he is in and I really hope that everything can be done in a professional manner and with due respect to everyone involved.

:restore

I think your wrong there and that he does care about how this will work out for everyone. Every HC knows that he is not only the one to put bread on the table for his family but also for the families of all those on his staff. No HC would ever wish to leave his guys out to dry, I think he is trying to play this out the best way possible and that he has/will talk to TO and get an understanding that what is best is best but lets not ruin peoples lives anymore than they have too. I don't see TO not being a fair man to everyone on the staff.

As far as Cally talking to TO about football related issues I think that would be a mistake. If Cally talks to TO itll be mistaken as, OH cally cant do it by himself and needs TO's crutch. But if Cally doesn't talk to TO its, Cally is alienating the sanctaty of Husker football. Its a no win situation that he is in and I really hope that everything can be done in a professional manner and with due respect to everyone involved.

Mistaken as Cally can't do it by himself...hasn't this already been established? Isn't this why there is all this talk about firing BC in the first place?

First off, BC is the kind of stuff that TO scrapes off of his shoe. Do you honestly believe now that TO is involved that it won't be done in a professional manner? Even in defeat, TO is nothing more than a class act. We won a share of the 97' NC due to TO's being nothing less than a class act!

Its not TO being a class act that I was referring too just the Media and all other outlets to include fans. Perception is key in fiasco's like this and I think everything will be done to avoid not being professional. But I feel like I have to remind some people to act professional and that curtain views maybe wrong or misinterpreted. I would just hate to see another Solich debacle and I think that they are all doing the right things to help detract from that. TO and Cally are doing what needs to be done as far as the media relations are going and not giving out info until it is absolutely necessary.

Mistaken as Cally can't do it by himself...hasn't this already been established? Isn't this why there is all this talk about firing BC in the first place?

Cally is fired...we know this, TO knows this, Cally knows that is definate. But the apperance is what is being protected so that the best professionalism is being shown as far as his firing is going. Why make more waves when the media and the fans can do that for you.

I tend to agree, I think both sides will handle this professionally. I'm always amsused so many feel TO and Callahan haven't spoken much so they must not get along. It seems this doesn't account for Pederson and his wish to cut the old ties. That wasn't necessarily Callahan's idea. At least no one on a forum message board knows that one for sure. No one will ever know how much of the old way being cut was Pederson's idea, and not Callahans. I'm not trying to defend Callahan, but Pederson was his boss, and if he wanted things to go a certain way, Callahan would have to follow. We also have to consider that TO is doing for Callahan and Solich the same thing Devany did for him, and that is stay in the background so the coach doesn't always have to look over his shoulder. Everyone's right TO has class. Class enough to stay away unless asked, and no one knows if Callahan didn't ask, or Callahan understood Pederson didn't want him to ask.

All this being said I think Callahan will leave because he is in a no win situation. If his team loses then it's lost, and even if his team wins, he's still loses. He could have a National Championship team in a couple years and still lose. He'd lose because his legacy would be that it took TO to bail him out and make him a winner. No coach would want that for a legacy. Not Callahan, not Solich, and not Bo. So I think Callahan leaves rather then have his legacy be, it took TO to save his butt.

Cally is fired...we know this, TO knows this, Cally knows that is definate. But the apperance is what is being protected so that the best professionalism is being shown as far as his firing is going. Why make more waves when the media and the fans can do that for you.

Exactly. It's a matter of when not if on the firing. Finito.

If he had any sense he would have spoken to him when he first took the job....and there is no way he is going to swallow is pride and accept help from TO now. Even if he did, everyone would just assume he is just kissing TO's a$$ so he has a small chance of making it. He has one of the best ever college coaches at his disposal and will not acknowledge that!!!!

For some reason, I doubt Tom wants to tell BC about the X's and O's in college football - offense or defense. I really doubt BC wants to hear from Tom on the X's and O's either. What Tom can, and wants to provide, is his experience in managing a college team. How he dealt with the walk-on situation. How in the late 80's/early 90's it was painfully obvious our defense was not good enough for us to win an NC and how they went about making changes to that defense (without having to change personnel mind you). How staff continuity is important. What worked and what didn't in preparing and motivating his players. That kind of stuff. Will BC listen - we can only hope. Because the quickest way for this team to be successful is for the current staff to make the necessary changes to be successful.

I watched the Big Red Wrap up last night. A back up quarterback to Irving Fryer (I forgot his name and he was before my time) was being interviewed, he said since Steve Pederson took over all the shrines to the greatest players have been omitted, there is only one NC trophy displayed and that is the 1997 trophy. When I heard that I was floored. :o

Irving Fryer a QB?!?!?

Also everything that you heard was omitted has never been omitted. Everything is there where it belongs.

I think the humiliating and ridiculous aspect of all this will be more than Coach Callahan can take. I sure hope so. A lot of guys with lesser egos than he would say piss on it, I'm not going to go through this anymore and simply step down.

If Osborne needs to be at Callahan's practices then Callahan shouldn't be the coach for one more day. To me, it's just that simple. I bet he can't wait to get the hell out of here. I mean think about it. He's in an untenable position. I think it demeans us all as it stands now.