ESPN + NU + Recruits = :) ?

I'm watching ESPN right now and they're talking about our current situation . . . and we've been worried about how this coaching/athletic department shakeup and how it will affect the recruiting situation . . . Mark May included, they all said they think this whole thing is going to BENEFIT recruiting by showing recruits that we are working hard to make change and not settle . . .

Thoughts? :cheers

I'm watching ESPN right now and they're talking about our current situation . . . and we've been worried about how this coaching/athletic department shakeup and how it will affect the recruiting situation . . . Mark May included, they all said they think this whole thing is going to BENEFIT recruiting by showing recruits that we are working hard to make change and not settle . . .

I agree, it will help recruiting because of the seriousness shown by the University. :bonez

HI F'ING new guy here !!!

IBR This is great news indeed and I have followed your posts with great interest I wanted to wait for my first post I have tried not to get caught up in all of the swirling rumors and such !! I have humbly and quietly been a NU fan for 37 years ,I can keep my silence no longer ,after the mizzou loss I was furious and knew something had to be done ,ask and ye shall receive!!! I was at the Okie state game we left at 3:42 left in the 4th quarter ,I knew when I saw TO bring on his 97 team ,I was elated words can hardly describe the feeling I am sure you all know that feeling !!!any way I am very happy about the changes I feel as though things are on their way back to where they belong on top!! I am curious about a few things I know TO did not like the idea of the big 12 it seems for several reasons ,does anyone think he will use his AD position to influence the big 12 ? I always thought that was a big part other than his health which is always important as to why he retired Well sorry for the long post ,I feel like its home again and I am honored to be around HUSKER enthusiasts such as myself thank you for your time BlackshirtBill :bonez

I'm gonna have to throw the BS card down.

I'm gonna have to throw the BS card down.

:dunno Okay?

I don't mean to hate or discriminate here, but I have a hard time understanding the logic here... or at the very least, I think the logic that's being used has a big hole in it.

Sure, recruits will eventually be attracted to the fact that the university is moving the football program back in the right direction, but I don't think that will start taking place until the 2009 recruiting class starts throwing out verbals.

You've got to look at the mind of your common recruit. First and foremost, he's going to want to play for a school with adequate facilities - you guys have that more than covered, so there's no worries there. Some kids care about tradition and location, while others don't, so let's just leave both of those out of the mix for the time being. But ALL kids want to play for a coach who runs a system that they'll fit well into, and they ALL want to play for a coach who they like as a person, someone they feel comfortable with.

With Callahan acting as the resident "Dead Man Walking w/a Headset and/or a clipboard", and the future coach of the program existing only in the form of speculation, these kids you're going after this year have no idea what the identity of your offense is going to be like going forward (or your defense, but anything's an upgrade over your current situation), nor will they have any idea what your coach is like as a person. With the exception of Osborne, the football program has no face, it has no one prospective players can look at and say "yep, this is the guy that I want to play for". Dr. Tom is one hell of a guy, but there aren't many kids that go to a school to play for an AD... Osborne may be a massive enough icon to pull that off, but I doubt it.

Of course, if Callahan steps down in the next few weeks and a new coach is named immediately, well... then that's a whole different story. But as is, I don't think there are going to be too many non-Nebraska bred recruits jumping on board until the dust around your program settles a bit.

I don't mean to hate or discriminate here, but I have a hard time understanding the logic here... or at the very least, I think the logic that's being used has a big hole in it.

Sure, recruits will eventually be attracted to the fact that the university is moving the football program back in the right direction, but I don't think that will start taking place until the 2009 recruiting class starts throwing out verbals.

You've got to look at the mind of your common recruit. First and foremost, he's going to want to play for a school with adequate facilities - you guys have that more than covered, so there's no worries there. Some kids care about tradition and location, while others don't, so let's just leave both of those out of the mix for the time being. But ALL kids want to play for a coach who runs a system that they'll fit well into, and they ALL want to play for a coach who they like as a person, someone they feel comfortable with.

With Callahan acting as the resident "Dead Man Walking w/a Headset and/or a clipboard", and the future coach of the program existing only in the form of speculation, these kids you're going after this year have no idea what the identity of your offense is going to be like going forward (or your defense, but anything's an upgrade over your current situation), nor will they have any idea what your coach is like as a person. With the exception of Osborne, the football program has no face, it has no one prospective players can look at and say "yep, this is the guy that I want to play for". Dr. Tom is one hell of a guy, but there aren't many kids that go to a school to play for an AD... Osborne may be a massive enough icon to pull that off, but I doubt it.

Of course, if Callahan steps down in the next few weeks and a new coach is named immediately, well... then that's a whole different story. But as is, I don't think there are going to be too many non-Nebraska bred recruits jumping on board until the dust around your program settles a bit.

You brought up some good points. I have read on this board that if we lose two more games that he was probably going to be let go. After A&M and the Texas game's if he lost both. Funny how The Texas game was put on TV, did they think the same thing and want to boost their ratings, by having Callahan on the side lines in maybe his last game. Gives them some thing to talk about during the game to keep fan interest going, even if it's a blow out. Just a thought.... <_<

GBR!!!