Go Big Red Recipes

Roxy

If I have repeated these recipes..sorry...I don't keep track of what ones I post. Hope you all enjoy them:

This salsa recipe is fantastic:

Salsa:

6 lbs. Roma (Plum) tomatoes

1/4 lb. Roma (Plum) tomatoes, chopped-I used 6 tomatoes

3 bunches of garlic-not individual cloves

1/4 cup real lemon juice-2 lemons

1-1/2 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Green onions-Alot of them

12 fresh jalapeno peppers

Use your food processor with the "S" blade to chop up the following. Put them in seperate bowls in the refrigerator when you get done doing each one.

Chop the 6 Roma Plum tomatoes by hand. Put in the refrigerator.

Chop using the food processor:

Green onions

3 whole bunches of garlic

Take 12 fresh jalapenos and cut off the stems. Take a knife and cut down the middle and remove the seeds.

Chop the jalapenos in the food processor.

Squeeze the 2 lemons to make lemon juice.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Briefly put in the 6 lbs. of tomatoes. Keep the tomatoes in the pot just until the tomatoe skins start to loosen and set color. Drain the tomatoes and put them in the food processor and cursh them using the "S" blade.

Using the same pot as you used to boil the tomatoes in, mix the 6 chopped tomatoes that you chopped by hand, the 6 lbs. crushed tomatoes, juice from 2 lemons, 1-1/2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper, chopped green onions, chopped jalapeno peppers, chopped garlic and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin. Bring this to a boil and continue boilng until the vegetables are soft and mixture has reached desired consistency. Remove from heat, put in container and refrigerate.

Homemade tortilla chips are the best:

Homemade Tortilla Chips

From chef and author Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients

12 corn tortillas, cut into quarters

Vegetable oil if deep-frying

1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. To fry the chips, add enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large heavy pot or electric deep fryer and heat over high heat to 360° F.

2. In batches, without crowding, deep-fry the tortillas until golden brown, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.

3. Sprinkle lightly with salt to taste while still hot.

Serve immediately.

Yield: 48 chips

Beer Dip

8 oz. cream cheese

8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese

1 whole onion

Round loaf of Pumpernickel bread

1 packet dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing

1 TBSP Cayenne Pepper

1/2 beer or less -- make thick (I used light beer)

Directions

Mix all in Food Processor. Starting with onion, cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese. Add small amount of beer with each. Needs to be chopped fine. Add packet of HidenValley Ranch and pepper with a little beer after all other ingredients are chopped. Make thick.

Cut top of bread off and scoop out insides and place around plate3. Pour dip in bread shell and should have extra bread around tray because it will go fast.

Butterscotch Dessert

Melt 1 stick of butter. Add 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup chopped pecans. Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9x13" pan and bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool crust. Whip together:

1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup Cool Whip

Smear this carefully over crust; cool in refrigerator. HINT: Drop the cream cheese mixture all over the crust in teaspoons, then spread it gently or else the crust will end up being a crumbly mess. Cook 2 small packages of butterscotch or chocolate pudding..your choice..with 3 cups milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour this over the cream cheese layer. Cool and top with Cool Whip.

Chicken Jalapeno Dip

Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3 teaspoons garlic powder or to taste

2 ½ teaspoons salt (divided use)

1 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

½ cup milk

½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup minced red bell pepper

4 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 ½ teaspoons Tabasco sauce

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Sauté chicken in olive oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Cut breasts into thirds and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through but not overcooked. Transfer chicken pieces to cutting board and finely chop.

Combine remaining ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Add chicken; stir until completely blended. Transfer to greased 8-inch-square ovenproof pan. Bake until mixture is hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Use crackers or pita chips for dipping. Makes 10 servings.

Chicken Wings:

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon paprika

20 chicken wing sections

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions: Combine flour, salt, cayenne, & paprika in a bowl. Coat chicken pcs in mixture. Reserve leftover flour mixture.

Refrigerate coated wings for at least an hour.

Coat wings in flour mixture a second time right before frying.

Deep fry wings in two batches in 375º oil for 13 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat butter, hot sauce, pepper, & garlic just until butter melts. Keep warm.

Drain cooked wings on paper towels.

Place wings in a large bowl, Pour warm sauce over & toss to coat.

Wings can be frozen and reheated in a 400º oven for 10 minutes.

OUTBACK KOOKABURRA WINGS

1/4 Cup butter

1/3 Cup Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning

1 1/2 teaspoons Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix

20 Small wings

Instructions: Heat butter, sauce, & seasonings over medium heat until all flavors are well blended.

Fry wings at 375º for 10 minutes or until crispy.

Toss wings & sauce together.

Hot and Spicy Chex Party Mix

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1 1/4 tablespoons seasoned salt

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 to 3 teaspoons red pepper sauce

3 cups Corn Chex® cereal

3 cups Rice Chex® cereal

3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal

1 cup mixed nuts

1 cup pretzels

1 cup bite-size cheese crackers

1. Heat oven to 250°F. Melt butter in large roasting pan in oven. Stir in

seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Gradually stir in

remaining ingredients until evenly coated.

2. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool,

about 1 hour. Store in airtight container.

.Lemon Crumb Bars

Servings: Makes 24 to 36 bars

Prep Time: 30 minutes

1 (18 1/4 oz.) package lemon or yellow cake mix

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened

1 egg

3 egg yolks

2 cups finely crushed saltine crackers (1/4 lb.)

1 (14 ounce) can Eagle® Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)

1/2 cup ReaLemon® Lemon Juice from Concentrate

Preheat oven to 350°. In large bowl, beat cake mix, margarine and 1 egg with mixer until crumbly. Stir in saltine crumbs. Reserving 2 cups crumb mixture, press remaining crumbs on bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking pan.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.

With mixer or wire whisk, beat 3 egg yolks Eagle Brand and ReaLemon. Spread over prepared crust. Top with reserved crumb mixture.

Bake 25 minutes longer or until set and top is golden. Cool. Refrigerate within 2 hours. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.

Onion Dip:

2-lbs yellow onions sliced thin

3/4 c.- sour cream

4-oz. room temp cream cheese

1-tea. worchestershire sauce

several drops Tabasco

salt and freshly ground black pepper

put onions in a nonstick skillet and cover, and cook over low heat about 20 min, stirring now and then til wilted. Uncover and continue cooking gently about 45 min til very sweet, soft and reduced to just a fraction of original volume. Cool to room temp and stir in remaining ingredients adding salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 2 cups.

Sarah's Treats

Boil together for one minute:

1 cup white syrup

1 cup sugar

Add:

1-1/2 cups peanut butter

6 cups cornflakes

Mix all ingredients together. Spread in a greased 9x13-inch pan. Cover with miniature marshmallows and chocolate chips. Return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes until the chips are melted enough to spread. When they are cooled after taking them out of the oven...cut in squares.

Shrimp Bacon Bites:

1 cup cleaned cooked shrimp-about 18- like to use fresh shrimp..can buy them at Albertson's...we bought 2 lbs. of fresh shrimp at Albertson's

3 bunches garlic; slivered

2 glass jars homemade chili sauce that you can buy at Albertson's

2 packages bacon

Frozen bacon is alot easier to cut and it doesn't take long for it to thaw out.

Mix shrimp and garlic; pour chili sauce over mixture. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally; several hours. I needed it sooner so I refrigerated it for 2 hours or so.

***You can also buy a package of shrimp seasoning in the fresh meat dept. at Albertson's and I sprinkled that over the shrimp, then mixed in the garlic and chili sauce..then refrigerated it..etc.

Cut bacon slices into halves. Cook bacon until limp; drain. Wrap each shrimp in bacon piece; secure with wooden pick. I had some left over so I just put the rest on top of the shrimp.

Set oven control to broil and/or 550. Broil with tops 2 to 3 inches from heat until bacon is crisp.

**I fried the bacon, but, not completely and drained the grease..also patted the bacon with a paper towel. After I wrapped the shrimp in the bacon, I baked it in the oven at 550 for less than 10 minutes....just keep an eye on it.

SPINACH/ARTICHOKE DIP

2 10 oz pkgs frozen chopped spinach, thawed

2 cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped

1 cup fresh grated parmesan and/or romano cheese

1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese

4 oz cream cheese

8 oz sour cream

10 oz jar Alfredo sauce

½ medium onion, diced

2 tbl butter

pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain chopped spinach well, wringing out in a clean tea towel to remove excess moisture.

Nuke diced onions with butter until onions are soft.

Combine all ingredients in bowl, then turn into 9x13 or similar baking dish.

Bake for about 40 minutes, or until cheeses are melted and bubbling.

Serve with chips, crackers or baguettes.

Vegetable Pizza

2 packages crescent rolls

1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 cup Miracle Whip

2 teaspoons dill weed

1 pkg. Hidden Valley dressing

Assorted vegetables of your choice

8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated

Spread crescent rolls into a jelly roll pan to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes at 375. While the rolls are cooling, mix the Hidden Valley dressing, dill weed and mayonnaise together. Spread this mixture on cooled crust. Spread assorted vegetables on top of this mixture and gently pat into the crust. Top with grated cheese. Refrigerate until served. Serve with crackers of your choice.

*Any combination of vegetables and cheeses may be used and this recipe is still delidious.

Crockpot Chili: I will only make my chili using this recipe..it is great

Chili

1 package hamburger

1 package hot sausage-Farmer John

Farmer John's sliced smoked hot sausage links--use as much or as less as you want-I just sliced and dumped..didn't count

2 onions, diced

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon pepper

3 cloves garlic, minced

2-14 1/2 oz. cans Del Monte diced tomatoes with zesty mild green chilies

1-30 oz. can Hunts chili beans, drained and rinsed

Sliced fresh mushrooms-use how much you want

Cut up celery-use how much you want in it

Chopped green peppers-use how much you want in it

1-28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes

Cook hamburger and sausage in a large skillet, drain grease. Add all of the above and the sausage hamburger mixture to the crockpot and stir well. I covered the top with more chili powder, stirred again and covered the top again with chili powder..we like hot and spicy foods. I have made this with and without the hot links. They are good both ways..but..we liked it more with the hot links. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Add jalapeno or cheddar cheese on top of chili when you put the chili in your bowl. Add crushed saltine crackers

I like to cook..you would think I weighed 500 lbs...but..I don't. Anyone can call and make a reservation to eat somewhere..but..if you have a mate..it shows you care and love them by making appetizers, etc. Sure I like to eat out once in awhile..but..to me..cooking shows to your mate how much you care and love them. Thanks so much for the compliment:)