DT Lorenzo Jones

Player: Lorenzo Jones

Hometown: Mckinney, TX

Position: DT

Height: 6’ 4”

Weight: 293

40 time: 5.0

Visit Date: 11/26/04

Scholarships offered: Over 8 including: Texas, Iowa State, Oklahoma St., Oklahoma, Nebraska and Arizona

Favorites: Texas, Iowa State, Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: #35/***

Insiders: NR/***

Assessing the talent: He played a lot of DE in High school, but its typical to move a kid down a speed to use his speed and put bulk on him. Most of the Big 12 is after him.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 60% Who the hell knows what's going to happen to Jones. He has given a verbal commitment. But additional visits have the fans wondering and coaches getting jittery. In the end will he sign with the Huskers? He continues to take visits.

• 2 weeks later...
Lorenzo James has committed to Nebraska. Especially key here, of course, the fact that he is DT, something we sorely are missing and the fact that the Huskers beat out Oklahoma and Texas for this recruit.

I think we'll need to see the signiture before we can officially count him, but stillas of now he's a Husker.

One thing is his grades. He'll need to pick them up before he can qualify

2.3 gpa

750 SAT

Jones has decided to take a few more visits this year after saying he wouldn't.

What does it mean when a recruit decides to do this? I would guess it is hard telling how hard he is commited to the Huskers.

A previous interview said he was done with visits. He saw Nebraska and that was that.

A day or two later some other coaches came to his school and ask him to take other visits, obviously to their school.

What does it mean? I guess a variety of things. He may have some doubts about attending Nebraska. Some players like Leon Jackson, visited NU and have cancelled all other trips. I really can't explain exately what he's thinking, but you can make general assumptions

What does it mean when a recruit decides to do this?

It means he's a young kid with a lot of outside influences. A lot of competition will make a strong run at our top "verbals". Look what happened with Murtha; he saw something he didn't like and switched in a heart beat. I am sure the recruiting process especially with the "verbal commitment" is one big game. Hopefully those who have verballed are of solid character and believe in following through and hopefully they don't all of a sudden see something they don't like.

What does it mean when a recruit decides to do this?

It means he's a young kid with a lot of outside influences. A lot of competition will make a strong run at our top "verbals". Look what happened with Murtha; he saw something he didn't like and switched in a heart beat. I am sure the recruiting process especially with the "verbal commitment" is one big game. Hopefully those who have verballed are of solid character and believe in following through and hopefully they don't all of a sudden see something they don't like.

It's also extremely difficult for a 17 or 18 year old to say, "No" to a coach - particularly one at a name school. Ultimately, as noted, it comes down to whether the recruit feels compelled to follow through on his word.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LJ actually told the coaches he was "solid" just last week, but Im not so sure here. Although he said if he had to decide today, he would pull the Scarlet hat outta the hat, but now we have to beware of the Urban legend that is taking the recruiting scene by storm. Include the fact that LJ grew up in FL watching the Crocs, and we may be in for a tug of war here. Also in the mix are Texas and Texas A&M, who are both pushing hard to get visits from him.