CowboyBob

SIGNED OT Andrew Rodriguez

From ESPN.com recruiting section:

"Andrew Rodriguez leads off Husker 2010 class

Nebraska's first commitment for Class of 2010 is Andrew Rodriguez, an ESPNU 150 Watch List lineman from Aurora, Neb.

The 6-foot-6, 300-pound prospect is expected to play on the offense line. He also started on defense while helping Aurora win the Class B State Championship.

He told The Independent, "This feels awesome. There's nothing more to ask for. The support from my family, friends and community has been great. The thing is I wanted to stay close to my family, stay close to my friends. It's also one of the top schools to get an education at. It was the best (choice) for me.""

Yea, the top 100 shows him as a 4 star, but his profile is unranked. weird.

But thats scout for you :D

Yea kinda p***** me off a lil. It's almost like the nat'l bias against "us farmers" kicked in and they dropped stars cuz they just realized he's goin here. The only NE kid l8ly whose rep they didn't touch was Baker's from last year. To tell you the truth, I think the analysts and the media hate us so bad because for all those years (and hopefully some more coming up here soon :) ) we just flat out outplayed schools... while being such a clean team. We straight up beat most teams and then showed nothing but generosity and care for the other team and their fans afterwards. UNLESS THEY'RE THE PUFFS OR CHOKLAHOMA :).

Andrew is now ranked as the #1 OG in the country for the 2010 class, according to scout.

12th overall? Or am I looking at that wrong?

I like the sounds of that, but I think you are looking at ALL. Go to TOP and he is s little lower on the list.

Andrew is now ranked as the #1 OG in the country for the 2010 class, according to scout.

I like the sounds of that, but I think you are looking at ALL. Go to TOP and he is s little lower on the list.

Which list? The top 100 is alphabetical.

From Harlem to a Husker.

Andrew Rodriguez, all 6-foot-6 and 300 pounds of him, has had quite the week.

Win a state championship on Saturday. Commit to the home-state Huskers a few days later. Top all that with some turkey and a big guy couldn't have it much better.

The junior offensive lineman from Aurora High School, fresh off a Class B state championship, became the first commit of Nebraska's 2010 recruiting class.

"It feels awesome," Rodriguez said Tuesday. "Just not having to go through all this (recruiting) stuff (senior year). I just want to have some peace and quiet."

The peace and quiet is one of the big reasons he likes Nebraska. He first lived in New York — in the notoriously rough neighborhood of Harlem — before moving with his older brother, Eric, and his family to Aurora.

Eric's wife was a native Nebraskan, and it didn't take Andrew long after the move to realize he'd be just fine calling himself a Nebraskan, too.

"Just the neighborhood, you always had to watch your back," Rodriguez said of Harlem. "Here you meet people, just great people. You don't have no worries. The worst thing that can happen out here is you hit a deer or something."

As for hitting defensive linemen, Rodriguez welcomes that.

"He's a kid that has a great frame … great footwork … very powerful off the ball, a coachable kid, humble kid," said Aurora's head coach Randy Huebert.

Aurora just completed a 12-1 season with a state title win over Beatrice. Rodriguez played both sides of the ball for the Huskies.

Secondary coach Marvin Sanders was the primary recruiter of Rodriguez, who had to learn on the fly about the passion this state has for the Big Red.

"To be honest, I never even knew Nebraska had a football team. I wasn't that big of a football fan. I really wasn't that big on football at all," Rodriguez said. "My brother was a big football player. He just forced me to go out there and I liked it."

Rodriguez credits his brother for helping guide him down the right paths.

"He just took me under his wing," said Rodriguez, who lives with his brother, sister-in-law and their three kids. "He supported me for the last several years. Just having a rough life over there, I moved out here to have a better life."

While Rodriguez won't sign on the dotted line until about 14 months from now, he said he just knew it was the right decision to stay in-state.

"At one point, he said, 'I don't have to make any decisions, I'm just a junior,'" Huebert said. "But he got a lot of calls, a lot of letters. I think he's just as soon put some of that behind him and make a decision."

And the progress of the team in the first year of Husker head coach Bo Pelini made it even easier to pull the trigger.

Said Rodriguez: "For a completely new staff, it's just great how they're doing with new players and stuff."

Link: LJS

Can't wait to see what this guy is going to be capable of! Gotta love his attitude and what his HS coach says about him. Can't wait to see him anchor the line in a few years.

Go to prospectes, switch it to 2010, then click top. It shouldnt be alphabetical. At least mines not

Go to prospectes, switch it to 2010, then click top. It shouldnt be alphabetical. At least mines not

If I do that I get it by Star and then alphabetical. :dunno

"All" seems to have it by whatever rating they currently have which puts Andrew Rodriguez as the 2nd best 4 :star. If he takes care of business, he is a potential 5 :star and certainly appears like a high Top 100 guy on Scout. FWIW

If I do that I get it by Star and then alphabetical. :dunno

"All" seems to have it by whatever rating they currently have which puts Andrew Rodriguez as the 2nd best 4 :star. If he takes care of business, he is a potential 5 :star and certainly appears like a high Top 100 guy on Scout. FWIW

Guys, go to his Scout profile (which Husker_Power kindly provided in the first post), look below his pic and it says Position: OG Ranking: #1. He is not the highest rated OL, but is the highest rated OG (there are numerous OT's ahead of him).

Coming from Harlem to Nebraska, I've got to think that he is liking Nebraska a lot more. He sounds like a solid commit.

Also given 4 :star 5.9 by Rivals (in addition to being the #1 OG on Scout):

OL Andrew Rodriguez Ht: 6-6 Wt: 300 40: 5.5 Aurora, NE :star :star :star :star #1 OG/:star :star :star :star 5.9/ESPN150 Watch list

ESPN now has analysis:

This mountain of a man is indeed a special player. He has tremendous size and good athleticism for such a big man. A devastating run blocker that comes off the football with good short first steps and not only gives a jarring first punch but also has excellent inside hand placement. Comes out of his stance with a good flat back and maintains power angles throughout the block resulting in knock back off the line of scrimmage. Has huge and powerful legs that road grates the defensive lineman into the laps of the line backers. Locks his hands into the frame of the defender and is a great finisher run blocks. More.

I'm not sure where he is going to play on the OL at Nebraska....but Rivals lists him as a Tackle.

I know that Scout currently has him listed as the nation's #2 OG.

We'll see where Barney puts him when he gets here.

Sounds like karma might come back to bite us in the ass. Just as we are laughing at Mizzou letting Terry slip away scout reports that Rodriguez might take some more visits. This would suck an unbelievable amount if we let this guy slip away.

Sounds like karma might come back to bite us in the ass. Just as we are laughing at Mizzou letting Terry slip away scout reports that Rodriguez might take some more visits. This would suck an unbelievable amount if we let this guy slip away.

I'm not worried about it. Why not take some free trips, and see some sights. Also no one is laughing at Mizzou, because he was never theirs to lose. He would have gone to KU, if he had not commited to us.

I'm sure he did on the scout article but I don't have a subscription so I have no idea. But the headline was something like "Unexpected Plans: Rodriguez plans to take some trips", something along those lines.

Nothing to worry about.

Kid wants to get out of Nebraska and see some of the country. Cannot blame any kid for wanting to take an opportunity like that. Hell, if I was a recruit, I'd be all about taking all 5 visits. A trip to UCLA, Florida, Texas, 'Zona and Nebraska would all be visits that I'd take. Mainly for the girls. :)

Plus, it will likely shoot him up the rankings. Kids who commit very early tend to drop in the rankings. These websites tend to rank kids higher who prolong recruitments just for money purposes. It's better business to have a top 20-30 kid uncommitted later in the year since it will bring more traffic to their website.

Nothing to worry about.

Kid wants to get out of Nebraska and see some of the country. Cannot blame any kid for wanting to take an opportunity like that. Hell, if I was a recruit, I'd be all about taking all 5 visits. A trip to UCLA, Florida, Texas, 'Zona and Nebraska would all be visits that I'd take. Mainly for the girls. :)

Plus, it will likely shoot him up the rankings. Kids who commit very early tend to drop in the rankings. These websites tend to rank kids higher who prolong recruitments just for money purposes. It's better business to have a top 20-30 kid uncommitted later in the year since it will bring more traffic to their website.

I would have to substitute zona for ASU and florida for Ole Miss.. but can't argue with those reasonings!!

A-Rod is seriously looking at another school back east. I'm not going to say which school it is....but the school has continued to put a lot of pressure on A-Rod. I was shocked to hear this, but was able to confirm it.

A-Rod's family lives back east and he is getting pressure to locate closer to his family.

From what I can tell right now I would say there's about a 50/50 to 60/40 chance that A-Rod will stay. This would be a huge blow to this recruiting class.

I wonder how long A-Rod will be able to keep this under wraps....?

A-Rod is seriously looking at another school back east. I'm not going to say which school it is....but the school has continued to put a lot of pressure on A-Rod. I was shocked to hear this, but was able to confirm it.

A-Rod's family lives back east and he is getting pressure to locate closer to his family.

From what I can tell right now I would say there's about a 50/50 to 60/40 chance that A-Rod will stay. This would be a huge blow to this recruiting class.

Hearing this from him? Or from someone who knows him? Or someone who knows a guy who knows the family?

No doubt that would be a big blow.

Fortunately we're in on some good ones for next year's class.

Family pressure?....well, that's his business and how he handles it. Not a flattering way to describe it ("pressure"), but it's important to be close to family, too.

Family pressure?....well, that's his business and how he handles it. Not a flattering way to describe it ("pressure"), but it's important to be close to family, too.

if he feels the need to go back home he feels the need, i will never fault a kid for wanting to be close to family.

if he feels the need to go back home he feels the need, i will never fault a kid for wanting to be close to family.

someone tell the coaching staff pronto... :angry:<_<

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but that seems odd considering that he said this...

He told The Independent, "This feels awesome. There's nothing more to ask for. The support from my family, friends and community has been great. The thing is I wanted to stay close to my family, stay close to my friends. It's also one of the top schools to get an education at. It was the best (choice) for me.""

Did his family move during the last year, or is he wanting to be closer to extended family and not his immediate family? I'm just trying to understand exactly what you're saying.

Man....what buttons to pick on here to reply to someone's post.

If he does remain here he would be close to some family. He currently lives with his brother and sister-in-law as most of you know. The rest of his family resides back east in New York.

What I know comes from yaaaa....never mind. I wish I could share more.....but I like having my nuts right where they're at. I say there's a very good chance he will take a trip back east before the recruiting process is over. Whether or not that's enough to change his mind about NU.....I have no idea.

No, it's not Notre Dame.