SIGNED OT Andrew Rodriguez

CowboyBob

From Harlem to a Husker.

Andrew Rodriguez, all 6-foot-6 and 300 pounds of him, has had quite the week.

Win a state championship on Saturday. Commit to the home-state Huskers a few days later. Top all that with some turkey and a big guy couldn't have it much better.

The junior offensive lineman from Aurora High School, fresh off a Class B state championship, became the first commit of Nebraska's 2010 recruiting class.

"It feels awesome," Rodriguez said Tuesday. "Just not having to go through all this (recruiting) stuff (senior year). I just want to have some peace and quiet."

The peace and quiet is one of the big reasons he likes Nebraska. He first lived in New York — in the notoriously rough neighborhood of Harlem — before moving with his older brother, Eric, and his family to Aurora.

Eric's wife was a native Nebraskan, and it didn't take Andrew long after the move to realize he'd be just fine calling himself a Nebraskan, too.

"Just the neighborhood, you always had to watch your back," Rodriguez said of Harlem. "Here you meet people, just great people. You don't have no worries. The worst thing that can happen out here is you hit a deer or something."

As for hitting defensive linemen, Rodriguez welcomes that.

"He's a kid that has a great frame … great footwork … very powerful off the ball, a coachable kid, humble kid," said Aurora's head coach Randy Huebert.

Aurora just completed a 12-1 season with a state title win over Beatrice. Rodriguez played both sides of the ball for the Huskies.

Secondary coach Marvin Sanders was the primary recruiter of Rodriguez, who had to learn on the fly about the passion this state has for the Big Red.

"To be honest, I never even knew Nebraska had a football team. I wasn't that big of a football fan. I really wasn't that big on football at all," Rodriguez said. "My brother was a big football player. He just forced me to go out there and I liked it."

Rodriguez credits his brother for helping guide him down the right paths.

"He just took me under his wing," said Rodriguez, who lives with his brother, sister-in-law and their three kids. "He supported me for the last several years. Just having a rough life over there, I moved out here to have a better life."

While Rodriguez won't sign on the dotted line until about 14 months from now, he said he just knew it was the right decision to stay in-state.

"At one point, he said, 'I don't have to make any decisions, I'm just a junior,'" Huebert said. "But he got a lot of calls, a lot of letters. I think he's just as soon put some of that behind him and make a decision."

And the progress of the team in the first year of Husker head coach Bo Pelini made it even easier to pull the trigger.

Said Rodriguez: "For a completely new staff, it's just great how they're doing with new players and stuff."

Link: LJS

Andrew is now ranked as the #1 OG in the country for the 2010 class, according to scout.

12th overall? Or am I looking at that wrong?

I like the sounds of that, but I think you are looking at ALL. Go to TOP and he is s little lower on the list.

Which list? The top 100 is alphabetical.

Go to prospectes, switch it to 2010, then click top. It shouldnt be alphabetical. At least mines not

Andrew is now ranked as the #1 OG in the country for the 2010 class, according to scout.

I like the sounds of that, but I think you are looking at ALL. Go to TOP and he is s little lower on the list.

Go to prospectes, switch it to 2010, then click top. It shouldnt be alphabetical. At least mines not

If I do that I get it by Star and then alphabetical. :dunno

"All" seems to have it by whatever rating they currently have which puts Andrew Rodriguez as the 2nd best 4 :star. If he takes care of business, he is a potential 5 :star and certainly appears like a high Top 100 guy on Scout. FWIW

If I do that I get it by Star and then alphabetical. :dunno

"All" seems to have it by whatever rating they currently have which puts Andrew Rodriguez as the 2nd best 4 :star. If he takes care of business, he is a potential 5 :star and certainly appears like a high Top 100 guy on Scout. FWIW

Guys, go to his Scout profile (which Husker_Power kindly provided in the first post), look below his pic and it says Position: OG Ranking: #1. He is not the highest rated OL, but is the highest rated OG (there are numerous OT's ahead of him).

• 3 weeks later...

Also given 4 :star 5.9 by Rivals (in addition to being the #1 OG on Scout):

OL Andrew Rodriguez Ht: 6-6 Wt: 300 40: 5.5 Aurora, NE :star :star :star :star #1 OG/:star :star :star :star 5.9/ESPN150 Watch list

ESPN now has analysis:

This mountain of a man is indeed a special player. He has tremendous size and good athleticism for such a big man. A devastating run blocker that comes off the football with good short first steps and not only gives a jarring first punch but also has excellent inside hand placement. Comes out of his stance with a good flat back and maintains power angles throughout the block resulting in knock back off the line of scrimmage. Has huge and powerful legs that road grates the defensive lineman into the laps of the line backers. Locks his hands into the frame of the defender and is a great finisher run blocks. More.
  • 1 month later...