SIGNED OT Andrew Rodriguez

CowboyBob

I have done a lot of thinking lately about whether or not stars are overrated. It seems that whenever the Univeristy of Florida throws an offer your way that you are automatically given at least 4 stars. Does that mean that the kid is better than a 3 star prospect from Texas or California? Absolutely not. I wish that they would rank kids after their RS year and RS Freshman year when they are actually going to start contributing.

Interesting thought. Let the coaches decide who is the best in the country (per offers/who they accept) then rivals can come out and tell us what they think after the kids have been in school and played/practiced on the college level.

Not to be Mr. Negative or anything, but I have said since day 1, that Andrew is a PROJECT at best. He will not see the field on a regular basis for at least 3 years. He needs a redshirt, and then another year of being a backup. In his third year, he MAY be a player that will contribute....of course, that would be his redshirt soph. year and if that is the case, we will all be happy.

Not saying the kid isn't going to be good, but just disputing those who think that he will "bolster" our OL anytime SOON.

Not to be Mr. Negative or anything, but I have said since day 1, that Andrew is a PROJECT at best. He will not see the field on a regular basis for at least 3 years. He needs a redshirt, and then another year of being a backup. In his third year, he MAY be a player that will contribute....of course, that would be his redshirt soph. year and if that is the case, we will all be happy.

Not saying the kid isn't going to be good, but just disputing those who think that he will "bolster" our OL anytime SOON.

Personally I think you can say that with any O-line recruit. It is almost impossible to contribute right away as a Freshman O-Lineman and I think it is still a limited number that contribute in a major way as RFr. I get your point about Arod being a bigger project than most are assuming, we can only wait and see. If he has tenacity and a great work ethic, he will be a good player. This staff will force him to compete, something I am not sure he has had to do at a high level too much in HS. Get him in an environment where nothing is given, everything is earned and let's see what he turns into.

Although I HATE Mizzou with every ounce of my husker red blood I have to admit that Dan Hoch was one exception where an OL came in and contributed right away. When he was in HS though he had a body that was made for playing football. The kid was born to play football and he benefited from good HS coaching as well.

Well you're definitely more bearish on A-Rod than Crabtree was on the radio. Not that you care how your view compares with Crabtree's; it's just that's what started this discussion. While Crabtree said he was disappointed with what he saw out of A-Rod at the AA game, he was quick to say that he still thinks A-Rod will be an All-American caliber player for us. But I think he would agree with you in the sense that A-Rod might need more work than the other OL recruits at the AA game.

As you guys read my posts, I don't want it to come across as if I don't like or think that A-Rod won't be a very valuable player, but I just think he is way to "raw" to contibute right away. He hasn't played enough football and from watching him, he looks as if he uses his "size" as one of his only advantages in HS. That will not cut it next year.

I am very happy that he is coming to NU !!!!! We need him and he may very well be an All-American when all said and done. Plus, I am wrong more than not, so hell, he may be Big 12 newcomer of the year next fall. :)

I've heard others say Demien got knocked around for the most part, while Rodriguez did well for being out of position. Dunno.

This is where i think recruiting rankings really start to break down. At this point it's mostly splitting hairs.

Demien didn't get knocked around, he was getting worked during that game.

On the other side, Andrew went up against Shariff Floyd and more than held his own. Shariff only begin to shine once Andrew was rotated out.

This is another example of why you just cannot get too involved on stars. Besides the kids who make it blatantly obvious they are better than everyone else, any recruiting services assumptions on players are no better than anyone else.

In the 2009 class, our lowest rated recruit, Brent Quvale, was the first name I heard as a kid who would play as a freshmen.....then he got hurt but he is another example of how wrong rating systems can be.

So much of being a successful OL is about attitude i think. Hard to quantify that.

In the 2009 class, our lowest rated recruit, Brent Quvale, was the first name I heard as a kid who would play as a freshmen.....then he got hurt but he is another example of how wrong rating systems can be.

The recruiting services are first and foremost business ventures. Never forget that. Evaluating talent stirs up interest both with the fans of the schools in the discussion and with the local populace where the recruit is located. Couple that with the fact that large population centers will have more prospects, and the services rarely venture out to the low population areas or even spend much time evaluating those players. Brent Qvale is a classic example of being overlooked.