Spencer Tillman on Callahan, et al

I really do feel bad for cally. he has worked hard. I dont think he is a bad coach, or a stupid guy. but he's not a great leader, and not a college coach.

What's odd is that Callahan CAN connect with recruits. He has such an ability to connect, in fact, that he makes the recruit's relationship to him and to other coaches, rather than to NU, his main selling point. What happens after they arrive is the mystery.

I really do feel bad for cally. he has worked hard. I dont think he is a bad coach, or a stupid guy. but he's not a great leader, and not a college coach.

I think you hit the nail on the head. BC is not a leader. This is probably why he was a decent OC at Oakland, but he wasn't a very good HC. Not only would TO's players run through a wall for him when they played, I think most would still run through a wall for him today if he asked them to.

In terms of BC being able to connect with recruits, I somewhat question this. On Sports Nightly, they were talking about some of the recruits and how BC had landed them. They alluded to the fact that he has been selling the prostyle offense and getting them into the NFL. I realize this is very attractive to top athletes at the high school level, but I also feel like it can come back to bight you in the butt. If our seniors don't start making some waves in the draft, he won't have any way to back up what he's selling.

What's odd is that Callahan CAN connect with recruits. He has such an ability to connect, in fact, that he makes the recruit's relationship to him and to other coaches, rather than to NU, his main selling point. What happens after they arrive is the mystery.

I am not in the know, just taking a stab.

Do you thinks it's like a job interview where the boss is great in the interview, personable, freindly, talking up how much they need you...........then you start work and barely ever see or talk to the boss.

You end up with a job that you love and friends that you like and everything is going good except job performance, becuase there is little interaction and training with the employees.

I suspect that Callahan is thought of by many on the team as an Offensive mastermind because of how complex his system is and the play calls and how many years it takes to UNDERSTAND. When this incredible system fails the players blame themselves (for not knowing enough, or executing properly) and the coaches do to an extent also (we need to execute). The players work harder the next week only to come out a struggle again..... feel worse, coach blames them, "I'm doing an excellent job", players thinking they suck. It spirals out of control until people get fired. That's how I think he lost this team.

1) The offense can't be like the pro's, these kids only get 20 hours a week on football and they should be practicing fundamentals not spending 18 hours a week lining up in formations and walking through your diagrams.

2) A good football coach NEVER blames his players. They are kids, you are a man being paid very well. TAKE THE BLAME weather you should or not. It should be in the job description.

3) Have 3 bread & butter plays (2 run, 1 pass) that you run EVERY PRACTICE. Every player on the team should run those plays 30 - 50 times. It breads confidence, and can re-establish the tone after a tough series.

My BIG question is who is smarter.....

the coach that has a 800 page play book and a sub-500 team - or -

the coach with an 80 page playbook that is 7 - 1

I believe Callahan would choose the first, and that's why he needs to go.

:restore

Remember his old boss put a real priority on recruiting and actually stated that as one of the reasons he hired Callahan. Too bad he went overboard on that and really isn't a college coach.

That article may have well hit the nail right on the head of why the team is failing. I have heard before that Coz calls the players by number, and not name, in practice.

Hopefully the connection is something TO looks for in his next hire. It was a part of how he lead. All the former players talk about how TO was like a father figure to them.

Well said Husker Homer. The defense wasn't mentioned but perhaps the lack of connection that you alluded to surfaced first on the defense but who knows. One thing is certain and that is Cally is insane, it appears he keeps running the same old tired plays over and over. It was obvious against Missouri that other teams have figured him out, it seems like it's mechanical play calling. Look at the defense, if this then that, if that then this, look at play card see what plays are available against the defense, pick one and run it. When Watson was calling the plays we saw mis-direction, counters, off balance passing, in other words he mixed it up and we scored twice!