Jim Rose

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 - 12:24:04 pm CDT

LAWRENCE, Kan.— Greg Sharpe is replacing Jim Rose as play-by-play announcer on the Huskers Sports Network for today’s radio broadcast of the Kansas football game.

David Witty, vice president and general manager of the Husker Sports Network, said Rose is off for the weekend because of personal reasons.

“Right now, that’s all there really is to it,” Witty said.

Will Rose return for next week’s game against Kansas State?

“If we get everything taken care of, yeah,” Witty said.

Lane Grindle did the pre-recorded pre-game show with Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. Sharpe will host Sunday’s televised Bill Callahan Show.

Witty said he met with Sharpe in Topeka on Friday about today’s gig.

“David Witty called me and said, ‘We need some help, are you available this weekend?’ ” Sharpe said, “and I said, ‘Yeah, what do you want me to do?’ And he told me, and I was, ‘Wow, OK.’ So it’s been a quick prep time.”

Sharpe, director of operations for WIBW radio in Topeka, did play-by-play for two televised pay-per-view games this season.

“We’re lucky we have somebody who knew the team well enough who could help us out on short notice,” Witty said.

Sharpe was the radio play-by-play voice for Kansas State football from 1996 to 2002. He hosts a talk show on WIBW, an affiliate for Kansas sports.

“Because I know both teams pretty well, it should be pretty easy to pull this off,” Sharpe said before Saturday’s game.

Sharpe also does television play-by-play for Nebraska’s basketball package on FSN. He said radio is his first love, though.

“I love it,” Witty said. “I had a great time doing K-State games.”

Rose couldn’t be reached for comment.

It's time the Huskers Sports Network reworks their Nebraska football broadcasts anyway. They need to get rid of Rose and allow announcers to be critical of the program when it's called for. I'm sick of hearing a company man homer act excited about a $hitty team. If I can't trust that my radio announcer is being honest about what he's seeing on the field, then I would be better served following the game on ESPN gamecast.

I don't know what most of you guys's problems is with Rose...yeah, you can analyze and nitpick, but his broadcasts are just EXCITING and great fun to listen to.

Oh well. I hope he's back. At least, I hope we don't get Sharpe again. Nice guy, commend him for picking up this broadcast for whatever reasons Rose couldn't make it, but I'd rather have Rose calling the plays than the former Voice of the Wildcats.

Three words: Pa Vel Ka

If you ask me this guy stunk and a lot of people only think he was good because of the time in history he was calling games. He should never be allowed to call games again because he thought he was "A Big Deal" and wanted crap-loads of money, so unless he has been humbled he can eat a fat one. FYI if you would like to see him in action turn to public access and watch him host the Metro Community College show, it is awesome. :wacko:

Just let Davison and Adrian do the games.