KU fans are the worst in the Big 12

godd2

As a College football fan since the early 40s and a former legal resident of 18 States, my top 10 WORST fans are as follows:

1. Penn State

2. Colorado

3. Missouri

4. Georgia

5. Miami

6. Michigan

7. Kansas

8. Texas A & M

9. Wisconsin

10. Virginia Tech.

Top 10 BEST fans:

1. Auburn

2. Nebraska

3. Texas

4. Ohio State

5. Stanford

6. Air Force

7. Tennessee

8. Illinois

9. Washington

10. Arkansas

man I thought I moved a lot....

I'll throw in my two cents here....

Last season, I went to Columbia to watch Ole Miss play Mizzou. My buddies and I wore red and blue and cheered for the Rebs. We parked in the lawn of a frat house and tailgated a little bit at the stadium. We sat in the Ole Miss section, and as there were only a few hundred of us Reb fans, we were not only surrounded by Mizzou fans, but had quite a few of them in our section. My overall experience was very good; there was one loud-mouthed fan who kept giving a Rebel fan in front of us a hard time, but he was doing this in a relatively polite, fun manner. At the end of the game, the two guys shook hands and said, "Best of luck" for the remaining season. Overall, the Mizzou fans were very polite and showed great hospitality. In fact, I found the students to be nicer than the adult fans.

Well, needless to say, my experience was quite a bit different this year when I watched Mizzou play Nebraska. A lot of the fans were straight up jerks. Cussing, taunting, and poor sportsmanship were abundant. A few Husker fans fired back, which certainly didn't help the situation.

I have also been to quite a few games in Lawrence. In all the blow-out games I've seen there, even with KU winning, the fans were there for a good time and often left when the outcome was certain. I did find the student section at KU to be pretty rowdy. They have a tasteless cheer, "Rip their f****** heads off!" when KU kicks off. But still, nothing too bad.

Again, this year's KU-NU game was quite a bit different than other games. A lot of fans were more hostile than normal and I witnessed Husker fans taking their fair share of abuse. (I would also like to add that even though certain sections are titled "student", many college-aged kids from other schools like to come down to see some old friends and cheer for their visiting school.... no excuses for fans' bad behavior towards other teams' fans sitting in the student section).

My point about all this: Big 12 schools get more pumped up for Nebraska games and take them way more seriously. I don't know if it's the fact that Nebraska is still viewed as "The football school" (along with OU) in the Big 12, or what, but when Nebraska comes to town, it is a completely different experience. Maybe opposing fans find it intimidating to see a quarter of their stadium filled with Husker fans and feel the need to act obnoxious. I don't know.

These are just my personal experiences. Take them for what they're worth...

I'll throw in my two cents here....

Last season, I went to Columbia to watch Ole Miss play Mizzou. My buddies and I wore red and blue and cheered for the Rebs. We parked in the lawn of a frat house and tailgated a little bit at the stadium. We sat in the Ole Miss section, and as there were only a few hundred of us Reb fans, we were not only surrounded by Mizzou fans, but had quite a few of them in our section. My overall experience was very good; there was one loud-mouthed fan who kept giving a Rebel fan in front of us a hard time, but he was doing this in a relatively polite, fun manner. At the end of the game, the two guys shook hands and said, "Best of luck" for the remaining season. Overall, the Mizzou fans were very polite and showed great hospitality. In fact, I found the students to be nicer than the adult fans.

Well, needless to say, my experience was quite a bit different this year when I watched Mizzou play Nebraska. A lot of the fans were straight up jerks. Cussing, taunting, and poor sportsmanship were abundant. A few Husker fans fired back, which certainly didn't help the situation.

I have also been to quite a few games in Lawrence. In all the blow-out games I've seen there, even with KU winning, the fans were there for a good time and often left when the outcome was certain. I did find the student section at KU to be pretty rowdy. They have a tasteless cheer, "Rip their f****** heads off!" when KU kicks off. But still, nothing too bad.

Again, this year's KU-NU game was quite a bit different than other games. A lot of fans were more hostile than normal and I witnessed Husker fans taking their fair share of abuse. (I would also like to add that even though certain sections are titled "student", many college-aged kids from other schools like to come down to see some old friends and cheer for their visiting school.... no excuses for fans' bad behavior towards other teams' fans sitting in the student section).

My point about all this: Big 12 schools get more pumped up for Nebraska games and take them way more seriously. I don't know if it's the fact that Nebraska is still viewed as "The football school" (along with OU) in the Big 12, or what, but when Nebraska comes to town, it is a completely different experience. Maybe opposing fans find it intimidating to see a quarter of their stadium filled with Husker fans and feel the need to act obnoxious. I don't know.

These are just my personal experiences. Take them for what they're worth...

I would completely agree that Nebraska has a target on its back, even more so than OU at least as far as Mizzou is concerned. I think part of it with Mizzou is that we have had some recent success against Nebraksa winning three times in a row at home. I think our fans still think we will lose to OU, but now we think we have a chance to beat NU, and that has brought out the worst in some people.

Pffft....you haven't seen anything.

Try going to a Broncos game at Invesco being a Chiefs fan. Granted, I was decked out in facepaint & an indian head dress, but does that deserve 1) Having glass beer bottles come crashing down all around you in the parking lot at you're headed into the stadium? and 2) Having plastic beer bottles rain down on your section from the balcony THE ENTIRE GAME!?? (Of course, I never got hit, but pretty much everyone around me at least got a real close call).

Oh yeah, can't forget the chickensh#t who punched me in the back of the head while taking a leak (That backfired on him as it led to a mass fight pouring out of the doorway of the bathroom. I just remember a Bronco fan getting on his case & saying that it was uncalled for & I think he jacked the guy.

The Denver cops were amused(something that is very rare from the nazis). I ended up posing in pics for quite a few of them.

As a College football fan since the early 40s and a former legal resident of 18 States, my top 10 WORST fans are as follows:

1. Penn State

2. Colorado

3. Missouri

4. Georgia

5. Miami

6. Michigan

7. Kansas

8. Texas A & M

9. Wisconsin

10. Virginia Tech.

Top 10 BEST fans:

1. Auburn

2. Nebraska

3. Texas

4. Ohio State

5. Stanford

6. Air Force

7. Tennessee

8. Illinois

9. Washington

10. Arkansas

Now I know this list is silly because Georgia has one of the finest reputations in the SEC for places to watch a game. Even 'Bama and LSU fans love going to Athens for a game. You can place us at the top, doesn't realy matter to me, because I know how I have personally acted towards people opposite of my team and I can speak that I have always enjoyed the company. One of my fondest memories was attending a CU basketball game as a Freshman in '91 and trading some competitive banter with a KU fan and we actually beat KU, he and I were ribbing each other throughout the contest and at the end we shook hands and wished each other well. My ultimate goal, I now live in south Alabama, is to go back to CU for the CU/NU game and try and sit near a Bugeater and shair the experience with him/her. Then the following year go to a game at Memorial for the same contest. I think if you seek out knowledgible fans and regardless of affilition you can have a good time.

Actually, South Carolina fans find Georgia to be the worst place to visit in the Southeastern Conference. I guess rivalry's effect perception of the fan bases. But you hear wild stories about gamecocks that visit "between the hedges"

I was there two years ago, was mad that we lost but once I got over our beat down. I went out and had as good of a time as I have at any nebraska game including those in lincoln. I thought their fans were really funny and figured I was due for some good natured ribbing. There were a couple a-holes, but no more than I see in lincoln, Columbia, Bolder, etc.

I don't know....we don't go to many games either where the refs have to stop the game to have the STUDENT SECTION CLEARED OUT {{cough cough, CU}}

Oh yes, those HORRIBLE Colorado students, how could 5 of them throw empty water bottles at a patch of Folsom's grass? My god, it's amazing that one of the Nebraska players (standing 50 yards away) wasn't seriously injured by one of those things, they weigh at least 2 ounces!

And let's not give credit to the stadium security for just clearing out a section of fans before anything got out of hand... yeah, it would have been a lot better if the refs and stadium security just did nothing in that situation... you know, like what the folks in Lincoln did when Nebraska's student section threw garbage at Brandon Drumm after he scored on your vaunted Blackshirts in 2002.

A story about those GREAT Colorado fans...my ex-boyfriend played for the Huskers 76-80...One of the years at Boulder he was in the end zone to catch a kickoff, he was tackled...he felt a searing pain in his side and thought "man he must've hit me just right." He stood up and there was a cigarrette sticking out of his jersey (remember the old jerseys? holes were bigger)...it obviously was thrown by a fan, and thrown just right.

But, he said Iowa State fans were worse. His first year on the road with the team, the upperclassmen were telling the rest of the team to make sure to wear their helmets when they walked from the locker room to the field (it's open space) they did....my BF said people were throwing bottles at them, and some of the most beautiful women in the Big 8 were yelling profanities so obscene, even he was embarrassed!!

Some Longhorn fans of mine came up for the game last year..I sat with them... they commented on how nice everyone was...they couldn't believe it when fans would walk up and say "Welcome to Nebraska and thanks for coming." They even experienced it when I, dressed in Husker Red, was standing away from them.

I don't for a second doubt the stories I'm hearing about Mizzou and especially Colorado fans. I have heard WAY too many times from very reliable people I know personally that these things are true.

However, I think most of the "issues" people are talking about are things of the past. I believe that a fair portion of these things happpened back when Nebraska was still dominant, or during the transition from our dominance to a team that CU and Mizzou could beat. During that period, ESPECIALLY for Colorado, a lot of "fans" came out of the woodwork and started attending games and vented a lot of frustration they'd had over the decades. It's not an excuse, it's just what happens.

Aside from the "storming the field" issue with Kellen Huston in Missouri and the emptying of the student section in CU a couple of years ago, I don't really remember hearing too much about either school. Not like I used to.

A story about those GREAT Colorado fans...my ex-boyfriend played for the Huskers 76-80...One of the years at Boulder he was in the end zone to catch a kickoff, he was tackled...he felt a searing pain in his side and thought "man he must've hit me just right." He stood up and there was a cigarrette sticking out of his jersey (remember the old jerseys? holes were bigger)...it obviously was thrown by a fan, and thrown just right.

I have a very hard time believing this. A cigarette weighs less than an ounce, and isn't at all aerodynamic... I mean, the fan would either need a strong wind behind him (unlikely since obviously this person would be standing in front of a 200ft tall facade regardless of where they were sitting), or there would have to be absolutely no wind whatsoever. In the second case, the cigarette weilding guy would have to be a master technician of the tobacco flicking arts... like one of those people that can dent a car door with a playing card.

It would seem a lot more likely that a fan could have dropped a cigarette onto the field (this was the 70's afterall, the earth was little more than the best ashtray money could buy), and ended up in your former beau's jersey by happenstance. The odds of something like that happening deliberately in an outdoor environment, especially from a distance of 20+ feet, are practically nil.

I had to take "the physics of cigarette disposal" during my sophomore year at CU, it's a prereq if you want to get into the advanced class, "modern applications of pulling women down flights of stairs and throwing bags of feces during and after intercollegiate athletic competitions".

A cigarette was thrown from the stands that managed to find its way lodged into the jersey holes of this guy's jersey? I would love for you to email this story to CU, since it does have one of the best aerodynamic programs in the country. Perhaps they could wind tunnel test this. Come on, I know there have been some problems with some of the sttuents but to make up something so rediculous.............nevermind, this can go nowhere positive.

Yep, I have too agree with beachbuffs. Pretty bizzarro. Really hard to believe.

I don't know the true story here....

but I was pelted with snowballs and other objects and I vote my pocketbook. No more trips to Boulder for the wife and me to follow the 'skers!

Oh come on, Boulder's nothing like you remember it being nowadays. Just to be on the safe side, check the weather report before you come :lol: We'd be happy to have you.

Yep, I have too agree with beachbuffs. Pretty bizzarro. Really hard to believe.

I don't know the true story here....

but I was pelted with snowballs and other objects and I vote my pocketbook. No more trips to Boulder for the wife and me to follow the 'skers!

Just don't go when it has snowed <_<

A cigarette was thrown from the stands that managed to find its way lodged into the jersey holes of this guy's jersey? I would love for you to email this story to CU, since it does have one of the best aerodynamic programs in the country. Perhaps they could wind tunnel test this. Come on, I know there have been some problems with some of the sttuents but to make up something so rediculous.............nevermind, this can go nowhere positive.

I have hung around plenty of smokers, and I've seen cigarettes flicked quite a long distance. If you take a mostly-smoked cigarette and hold it perpendicular to your knuckles and flick it like you would a booger (first analogy I could think of - sorry) it'll go 20-30 feet, if you do it right. So the "cigarette missile" is possible.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe in the extreme that you could flick a cigarette from the stands - even the front row - and have it lodge inside a player's jersey so that it contacts skin. That would have to be the Immaculate Reception + Matt Davison vs. Missouri + Christian Leattner vs. Kentucky.

So while there are plenty of things to legitimately call Buffs fans on, this is most likely a story with plenty of embellishment.