Go Big Red Thanksgiving Recipes For Nov. 7th

Roxy

Thanksgiving Recipes:

I prefer the stuffing recipe that I posted yesterday-it had sausage in it..but..here is another good recipe for stuffing. I have no idea what every member likes on their Thanksgiving plate..so am going by guess and golly:) and trying to pick a little of everything. I highly recommend using whipping cream for mashed potatoes. You can find it by the milk. It is alot better than using milk.

Turkey Stuffing:

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup shredded carrots

12 cups dry bread crumbs

1 T. poultry seasoning

1 heaping tsp. sage

5 eggs. beten

Saute onion and clery (do not brown). Add to the bread crumbs & remaining ingredients. Moisten with the broth. This makes enough for a 12 to 14 lb. turkey. The shredded carrots add color and keep the dressing moist.

Paprika Cheeese Biscuits:

2-1/4 cups biscuit/baking mix

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2/3 cup milk

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1//2 teaspoon paprika

In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix and cheese. With a fork, stir in milk just until moistened. With a fork, stir in milk just untl moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2 biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with butter, sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 biscuits.

German Chocolate Cake Frosting:

This is really good..just frost on a german chocolate cake made from box:

1 cup sugar

1 cup evaporated milk

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1 cup coconut

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, evaporate milk, egg yolks and butter. Spray saucepan with Pam and boil all the above ingredients for 12 minutes-STIR CONSTANTLY.. Take off burner and add nuts, coconut and vanilla.

MARIE CALLENDER'S LEMON CREAM PIE

CRUST:

1 c. graham cracker crumbs

1/4 c. butter, melted

2 T. sugar

CREAM CHEESE FILLING:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

1/4 c. granulated sugar

1/2 t. vanilla

1 egg

LEMON FILLING:

1/2 c. sugar

2 T. cornstarch

Dash salt

1 c. water

2 egg yolks

2 T. fresh lemon juice

1 T. butter

Preheat oven to 350* F.

CRUST: Combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar in a small bowl. Press mixture into an 8-inch pie pan.

FILLING: Mix cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla and egg using an electric mixer. Mix well until smooth. Pour cream cheese filling into graham cracker crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is cooked. A knife stuck in the middle of the filling should come out mostly clean. As pie cools, make lemon filling by combining 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch, salt and water in small saucepan. Set mixture over low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Whisk in egg yolks, then add lemon juice and butter. When mixture simmers again remove it immediately from the heat. Pour the lemon filling over the cream cheese filling, and let the pie cool. When cool, chill pie in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.

CoffeeCake: This is really good- Tried and True

1 box yellow cake mix

1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding

4 eggs

3/4 cup oil-I use Wesson oil for this recipe

3/4 cup water

1 tsp. water

1 tsp. vanilla

Beat all of the above ingredients for 8 minutes. Pour into a bundt pan ALTERNATELY with the foolowing sugar/cinnamon mixture:

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

Nuts to taste

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done.

Escalloped Corn:

Line a well-buttered baking dish with cracker crumbs, Mix a can of cream-style corn, 2 eggs, well beaten, 1 tsp. sugar, 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 cup milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper. You can add 1 T. chopped onion and 4 tablespoons of grated cheese if you want to. Pour on top of cracker crumbs. Crush more cracker crumbs to cover the top and spinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Shrimp Dip:

11 oz. cream cheese, softened

2 T. mayonnaise

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. Worcestershire Sauce

2 T. minced onion flakes

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1-(12-oz.) bottle chili sauce

Fresh shrimp or 2 (4-1/2-oz.) cans small shrimp, deveined

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Parsley flakes

Oregano-opt.

Layer dip on a 10-iinch serving platter. For the first layer, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire, onion flakes and garlic powder until smooth. Sprinkle shrimp on top. Scatter cheese over shrimp. Sprinkle parsley and oregano over all. Refrigereate until ready to serve. Serve with onion crackers or crackers of your choice.

Deviled Eggs:

6 hard-cooked eggs

3 tablespoons mayonnaise, salad dressing or half-and half

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Paprika

Cut peeled eggs lengthwise into halves. Slip out yolks; mash with fork. Mix in mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Fill whites with egg yolk mixture; heaping it lightly. Sprinkle top of eggs with paprika. Arrange eggs on large serving plate. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Coleslaw

This coleslaw recipe is great...this is the only recipe I will make from now on and I have tried many...we loved it. Using the half and half is what makes it really good.

Coleslaw:

1 pkg. coleslaw mix

Dressing:

You can use a pint jar..but...I just whipped all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mixed it well.

1 cup salad dressing-I used Miracle Whip

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons vinegar

Pinch of salt...I used 1/8 teaspoon

Pinch of pepper...I used 1/8 teaspoon

Add enough half and half (1/2 to 2/3 cup) to fill jar. *I used 2/3 cup. Mix with coleslaw. Refrigerate for several hours...I stirred it a couple of times when it was in the refrigerator.

Oyster Cracker Tidbits:

6 cups-(10 oz.) oyster crackers

1-(0.4-oz.) envelope Original flavor Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (dry)

1/2 tsp. dill weed

1/4 tsp. garlic salt

1/4 cup cooking oil

Mix dry ingredients together. Stir in crackers. Pour oil over cracker mixture and stir from bottom. Seal in airtight container. These will stay fresh for several weeks.

Stuffed Broccoli:

2 pkgs. (10 oz.s each) frozen chopped broccoli

4 T. butter

1/4 cup flour

2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 cups milk

Cook broccoli according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Melt butter. Add flour and mix. Add bouillon cubes and milk. Cook until sauce thickens. Grease 2-quart baking dish and place broccoli in it. Pour sauce over.

Topping

2 cups seasoned stuffing mix

6 tablespoons butter

2/3 cup water

2/3 chopped walnuts

Combine stuffing mix wih butter, water, and walnuts. Place on top of sauce, and bake at 350 F. for 20-30 minutes.

Green Pea Salad

2 pkgs. (10 oz.s each) frozen peas, defrosted

1 cup celery, finely cut

1/2 cup scallions, finely cut

1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 cup sour cream

Combine peas, celery, scallions, bacon, sour cream, and salt to taste. Chill thoroughly.

Cornbread:

1/4 cup sugar

2 eggs, beaten

2 cups flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2-1/2 tablespoons melted butter

1-1/2 cups milk

Mix sugar with eggs. Sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt, and add to egg mixture. Stir in butter and milk. Beat up quickly. Bake in greased 9x13' pan at 350 F. for about 30 minutes.

Cranberry Salad:

l lb. cranberries, ground

1 cup sugar

3/4 lb. small marshmallows

1 cup drained, crushed pineapple

1 pt. whipping cream or 2 pkgs. Dream Whip, whipped

Combine cranberries and sugar. Let stand about 2-1/2 hours. Whip cream,. Add marshmallows. Let stand 2 hours..then add cranberry mixture and pineapple to whipped cream. Chill.

Cranberry Sauce:

1-12 oz. pkg. cranberries

1-3/4 cup sugar

Cover cranberries with enough water to barely cover. Cook until all skins pop. run through sieve to remove skings. Add sugar. Boil slowly for 5 minutes. Pour in mold and cool.

Baked Beans:

1/2 lb. bacon slices, cut up

1/3 cup chopped onion

2-1 lb. cans pork & beans

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

Dash of dry mustard

Fry bacon until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Mix the bacon and the rest of the ingredients in a baking dish and bake at 350 till heated through..a half hour or so.