Unnecessary Roughness

It is truly sad that these kids have to go through this. But kids are mean, there are no two ways about it. They are like animals that prey on the weak. That is the parents fault. "teach a child in the way they should go." But I'm a Husker fan, born and bred,and if one of my kids was doing this, which we don't live in Lincoln, so it wasn't mine, they would be grounded till they were legal age and they know it. I raise my children to treat others the way they want to be treated. So for me this is all on the parents, kids will go along with what other kids do just to fit in. And it's only getting worse. Unfortunately this isn't the only time, TO has talked about how his kids didn't want to go to school on Monday after losing a game. Doesn't make it right, just means that these kids will grow up someday. Until then all anyone can do, especially parents of kids who go to the schools and is say "Hey I don't think it's good thing to taunt the kids, they can't control their parents anymore than you can control me." It's not their fault.

Dave, I don't want to get into it with you, but your understanding of what makes fans “great” is... wrong. By your statement it can easily be construed that NO COLLEGE TEAM ANYWHERE has good fans, and that they are in fact all bad.

I am not saying they are all bad. I am trying to say that if NU fans as a whole were the best, this crap wouldn't happen. Is it unrealistic to expect that? Absolutely; which leads me to your other comment

The whole “best college football fans in the country” label is a joke. We’re great fans, but there is no non-subjective standard by which this can be measured. It’s been around for a while, and by and large Nebraska Fans show that they fall somewhere around that description, so it’s stuck for some time.

I agree 100 percent. My only point in this whole discussion was to assert that really, NU fans are more like a lot of other fan bases out there and thus the whole "greatest fans in college football" is more or less a joke. I know I read of other fans having great Husker-like experiences at plenty of other schools. To me, it's more about being a friendly, good person than it is being a Husker fan.

What strikes me as terribly odd about your assertion that Husker Fans are NOT the best in the nation is that you call yourself a Husker Fan. You’re essentially saying that your association with those kinds of fools negates YOUR level of fandom. How in the world does that make sense to you? Are you saying that you’re just like the guys who threaten Cosgrove’s kids? If so, WHY? If not, how is it so difficult for you to realize that we abhor those actions (much like I assume you do?) and we, the Husker Fans as a whole, ARE NOT responsible for those actions?

There is no freaking way I am associated IN ANY WAY with anyone who would ever think it’s OK to say the things this article says were said to Cosgrove’s family. They have nothing to do with me, or with any Husker Fans I know. If you want to associate yourself with them, Dave, I would seriously suggest you reevaluate your loyalties.

NO, I don't associate myself with people like that in as much as I don't consider them good people. I only like to associate myself with good people. I am not like that, never have been and never will be. Neither are most Husker fans. You are right, most every fan or person for that reason would consider stuff like this to be Busch league.

However, when people talk about the "Husker fan base", I am associated with them because we are part of the same group in that regard.

Just another reason why Nebraska fans aren't "the greatest fans in college football". They are pretty average IMO.

It's sad to say but i have to agree 100%. It used to be that our fans wouldn't pull this crap, now we are like everyone else...I think that's the GREATEST downfall of this program...

They have always pulled this crap just was never mentioned. I don't care what fan base you are these things are going to happen some a lot worse then others.

DaveH is right. There was a thread on here talking about KU fans being the worst. Apparently some drunk KU fans were dropping f bombs around his wife? I get lumped in that group merely because I wear blue and red. Same

goes every fanbase. You are associated with what other fans do. Just like

how CU fans get the bad rep from throwing crap on the field...even though only a few did it. NU fans are no exception.

this all stinks real bad...i mean FOUL odor.

the worst part is, these families will move on and live somewhere else, and when anyone asks them how there experience was in Nebraska they'll say that we're hicks who have too much time on our hands, that we're rude and have no boundaries on fellow humans...

I can't stand what these few douche bags have done to our program, and they don't even feel the hurt of our fans as we lose in such humiliating fashion. i can't wait for them to be fired...

but these kids have seen a bad side of society and will have less trust of people, especially since we are supposed to be nice and friendly state who CARES about our team and coaches and players and school. imagine what they think of the 'bad' people in the world now?

Just another reason why Nebraska fans aren't "the greatest fans in college football". They are pretty average IMO.

We are "The Greatest Fans in College Football" without a doubt. We are talking about teenagers who are bad mouthing the sons/daughters of NU Coaches. I went to high school and kids in high school are IMMATURE and one day they'll grow up as adults and have a whole different perspective on life. We can't just rule out the "The Greatest Fans of College Football" because of some high school students. That's just crazy and nonsense.

A few weeks back we had fans yelling out at our players telling them "You Suck" or "You shouldn't were the N on your helmet." Ok I didn't really believe this then and I still don't believe it now for 1. Only two players heard this umm ok 2. Our fans would never say that 3. Security is very tight in that area believe me...I couldn't even take pictures in that area because of security. 4. Purfiy was one of the players getting harassed but isn't he one of the most popular players on the team???

And lets say this is true because the media had a coverage in the newspaper about it. I highly doubt that a Nebraska fan for 10 years or more would yell this out. Don't we have a student section not too far from the players bench. And if somebody did yell something out I wouldn't be surprised if I was a student and our STUDENTS attend this University and they represent this University and have all the rights to speak up for their school and players. I don't think that it's right for students to behave in this behavior but their the ones paying to go to this school not me.

I'm a die hard Nebraska fan and it breaks my heart to hear this type of news and I just want to wake up from this nightmare. I hear about it at work, on my myspace page, and from my family members who aren't Husker fans about the bad stories you hear about Husker fans. I've watch Nebraska football since 1992 when I was in second grade and every year after that I wanted to get more involved in Husker football and I attend about 3-4 games a year. I went to the Big 12 game last year and all of the OU fans that approached me told me that they were glad to drink beer with a great husker fan.

Husker fans our loyal and respectful to other people whether isn't during a football game, after a football game, or after the season is over. Husker fans are great to everybody 24/7 365 days out of the year and I don't want to ruin what we've got because of stories of some stupid high school students harassing coaches children.

I'm the type of fan that I won't rub in a lose to other college football team because I wouldn't like some fan from a different school rubbing in a Husker lose. I work with a guy who's a Notre Dame fan and he gives me sh#t every Sunday when Nebraska loses but when his team loses I won't say a damn thing because I know what it's like on the other side. I did talk to this fellow person about the Navy vs Notre Dame game and I told him that I only watched that game to watch Paul Johnson coach his players and to see his offense. My cousin attends K-State and she gives me crap about our poor fans yelling at the players and crap and I remind her that there will alwasy be one bad apple to ruin the whole patch.

WE ARE THE GREATEST FANS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL whether you want to believe it or not. Don't let this stories or any other fans from different schools tell you different because we know what we are like before games, during games and after games. We welcome other schools into our playground with pride, respect, and class.

KEEP THE FAITH AND GO BIG RED.

Everyone does realize these were high school students, right? High school students consistently make bad decisions. I don't see how this reflects upon the adult population of Husker fans.

There wasn't anything in the article that indicted adults. What is the saying? "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"? This IS a good time for all Husker fans to take a good look at their behavior and see for themselves if they are good fans or not. I have attended quite a few Husker games at home and away and I have seen some bad behavior, mostly at away games. There are definitely some bad apples out there. But every fan of every sport could stand a self-sxamination once in awhile. This is a good time for Husker fans. Are you good sports? Are you doing something you can't explain to your kids? Would you or your kid want to be treated the way you are treating a player or coach or coaches kid? If Kevin Cosgrove was your next door neighbor would you be saying or doing the same things? I am sure there are other acid-tests that are more telling than I can come up with but basically it boils down to explaining yourself. If you can't without embarrassment then you probably shouldn't have said or done whatever it was.

Keep it between the lines.

This is a massive over-generalization.

Because high school kids are behaving very poorly, that the entire Husker fan base is "average"? Come on. This is incredibly inappropriate behavior, and it sounds like school officials are handling it well. If you think the same thing doesn't happen at other Universities, you are crazy.

i think it's time for beachbuffs to go. he has no perspective, offers nothing but flames, constantly brings himself up in his own posts, defends his postition when his postition isn't the subject, doesn't give an oppositions enlightened point of view, and generally is negative.

at leat Jhawk, and tarheeltrojan, and trumanBD give decent perspective on our team from an opposing view and occasionally start posts about football subjects in general, talk about players say some things positive once in awhile...

i'm not writing this cuz i just don't agree with b.buffs or don't like other teams fans on here, i do like other teams fans when they offer up contructive conversation...but he does nothing but encite

Ironic how some people can throw garbage on a field and because I wear a certain colored T-Shirt I am automatically typecast by the same people in this thread that refuse to be typecast for the actions of a minority of their fan base.

I would not say a whole student section being kicked out of a game as an minority of the fan base.

Just saying.....

To me, it's more about being a friendly, good person than it is being a Husker fan.[/b]

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. And I will include being a good sport.

As for the article, I hate to read and hear this kind of stuff. Even though the master spin doctor of words continues to preach "we are hurting, it hurts, when we're doing the best we can" gets old when searching out for sympathy, the actions and crap the families and kids recieve is pathetic.

And this is yet another example of your inability to think with any kind of context. No offense, DaveH, but you're like a damn woman. Every time you hear one little bad thing about a fanbase which probably numbers in the hundreds of thousands if not millions, you act as though it is representative of the whole.

Funny. It's wrong to generalize about fans but Ok to generalize about women, or more specifically I guess about "damn woman." "... yet another example of ... inability to think with any kind of context."