...handed the national title over Penn State because it was Tom Osborne’s turn...

I happen to think that LSU is highly overrated with one loss, and 3 near loses. Being a Florida grad I am reminded that last years champions team had even more close calls. To that I say, last years team, BCS Championship game aside, struggled. I couldn't watch a single game on replay during the summer outside the BCS and the SEC games because they were sad to watch. This begs the question of who you think the 5 worst title winners are going back to 1992 (when I started college). – JF

A: You're being way too hard on the 2007 Gators. It was a good team that had an all-timer of a championship performance, but yeah, it has to be in the mix of worst champions since 1992. 1984 BYU and the 1990 combination of Georgia Tech and Colorado are the most recent entries in the worst national champions, but if we’re talking since 1992, my five worst national champions would be ...

1) 1997 Michigan. This was before the Big Ten was a true part of the BCS equation. Michigan didn’t have to play any SEC team in a year with several killers, and it didn’t have to deal with a nasty Nebraska team that would’ve won a true national title game by three touchdowns. This was a very, very good Wolverine team, but there were better in 1997.

2) 2007 Florida. The team rose up to dominate in the national championship, and the defense was a killer, but the offense was too inconsistent. This turned out to be the best team in a lousy overall year for college football.

3) 1994 Nebraska. The 1995 team was one of the greatest of all-time. The 1994 team was fine, but was basically handed the national title over Penn State because it was Tom Osborne’s turn. The Huskers beat a good Colorado team, and that’s about it.

4) 1998 Tennessee. The Peyton Manning teams were better, but couldn’t get by Florida. A juggernaut of an Ohio State team, that got screwed over by Florida State in the polls, would’ve beaten these Vols.

5) 1996 Florida. Merry Christmas, Spurrier. The only way the Gators were able to win the national title was because it got a rematch against a Florida State team that won the first time around, and got help from Arizona State losing in the last minute to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

I happen to think that LSU is highly overrated with one loss, and 3 near loses. Being a Florida grad I am reminded that last years champions team had even more close calls. To that I say, last years team, BCS Championship game aside, struggled. I couldn't watch a single game on replay during the summer outside the BCS and the SEC games because they were sad to watch. This begs the question of who you think the 5 worst title winners are going back to 1992 (when I started college). – JF

A: You're being way too hard on the 2007 Gators. It was a good team that had an all-timer of a championship performance, but yeah, it has to be in the mix of worst champions since 1992. 1984 BYU and the 1990 combination of Georgia Tech and Colorado are the most recent entries in the worst national champions, but if we’re talking since 1992, my five worst national champions would be ...

1) 1997 Michigan. This was before the Big Ten was a true part of the BCS equation. Michigan didn’t have to play any SEC team in a year with several killers, and it didn’t have to deal with a nasty Nebraska team that would’ve won a true national title game by three touchdowns. This was a very, very good Wolverine team, but there were better in 1997.

2) 2007 Florida. The team rose up to dominate in the national championship, and the defense was a killer, but the offense was too inconsistent. This turned out to be the best team in a lousy overall year for college football.

3) 1994 Nebraska. The 1995 team was one of the greatest of all-time. The 1994 team was fine, but was basically handed the national title over Penn State because it was Tom Osborne’s turn. The Huskers beat a good Colorado team, and that’s about it.

4) 1998 Tennessee. The Peyton Manning teams were better, but couldn’t get by Florida. A juggernaut of an Ohio State team, that got screwed over by Florida State in the polls, would’ve beaten these Vols.

5) 1996 Florida. Merry Christmas, Spurrier. The only way the Gators were able to win the national title was because it got a rematch against a Florida State team that won the first time around, and got help from Arizona State losing in the last minute to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

94 huskers? That is a reach. Maybe I'm a homer, but that team was friggin wicked.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Eric you need to re-think. The 1993 Huskers out played Florida St. and lost. That game was our Spring board into the next season. UNFINISHED BUSINESS.

The 1994 Huskers were poised to completely dominate college football and then early in the year Tommie Frazier went down to injury. QB number 2, Brooke Berringer, steped in and took the reigns of a great Husker team only to sustain injury and be replaced by third team, walk on Matt "the Terminator Thurman, and the Huskers just kept on winning. Berringer returned and helped to finish the season undefeated.

The Husker foe in the '95 Orange Bowl, for the then mythical National Championship, was an old nemisis, the University of Miami featuring Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis. Outcome, the Huskers dominate the 4th quarter and win Coach Osborne's first National Championship on Miami's home field.

The '95 team was so great that no one came close including a Florida team with the "ole ball coach" Steve Spurrier as head coach. They didn't even belong on the same field as the Huskers.

There has never been a team that has sustained excellence for as long as the Nebraska Cornhuskers as coached by Dr. Tom Osborne, and let me add that Coach Bob Davaney laid the ground work for this tremendous accomplishment that lasted for the last thirty years of the 20th century.

I have nothing more to say other than, Big Red will rise again, and pay back is a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!

...T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

I live near PSU and fact work in State College PA. And i hear about this at least once a week, every week all year, every year. and i look at it like this- yes PSU had a good O fact they were the #1 O but PSU D sucked really bad. While Huskers had the #2 O and the #1 D. so i really feel that Huskers would have beat them. and the point about them having troubles w/ the Ducks is so true, and this isent the 07 ducks they weren't that good back then.

Nebraska is Hated around here so much, it's very very hard being a big red fan in PA but i wouldn't have any other way

GBR

I live near PSU and fact work in State College PA. And i hear about this at least once a week, every week all year, every year. and i look at it like this- yes PSU had a good O fact they were the #1 O but PSU D sucked really bad. While Huskers had the #2 O and the #1 D. so i really feel that Huskers would have beat them. and the point about them having troubles w/ the Ducks is so true, and this isent the 07 ducks they weren't that good back then.

Nebraska is Hated around here so much, it's very very hard being a big red fan in PA but i wouldn't have any other way

GBR

their hatred stems from the fact that they know that they were the beneficiaries of a home-town refereeing job at their place in 1982 that gave them the national championship. as bob dole would say, "you know it, i know it, and american people know it." in their hearts they are trully embarrassed by that fiasco so that they only way they can overcome it, is by ignoring the facts of the 94 season, (NU beat colorado, K-state on the road, a miami team on their home field who had two hall of fame defensive players on their team and PSU played some really weak big 10 teams and had trouble with a mediocre oregon team at a neutral site) and playing the role of the ignored and mistreated red-headed step child, whining and bitching how they were jobbed out of a national title. we know the truth.

And we're going to see the whining about undefeated teams that win championships but somehow aren't "worthy enough" until the manage to actually get a playoff system established. Maybe someone would have beaten the 1994 Huskers. Maybe Michigan could have beaten the Huskers in 1997.

Maybe. We'll never know. Imagine having the chance to see such a game every year. That's why we need a playoff instead of people voting.

Not to mention Nebraska beating down Miami, while it took the whole Rose Bowl for penn state to dispose of .....................Oregon?

Hmm beating down Miami? If I recall (yes I was actually at that game).....It was 17-9 and we were trailing in the 4th qtr. Yes we pulled out the victory by scoring 15 points in the 4th, but it was hardly a beating! Those two FB traps made by Schlesinger scoring from 14 and 15 yards were a thing of beauty!

GBR

:yeah Oh my GBR brother, Testify!!!!!!

Not to mention Nebraska beating down Miami, while it took the whole Rose Bowl for penn state to dispose of .....................Oregon?

Hmm beating down Miami? If I recall (yes I was actually at that game).....It was 17-9 and we were trailing in the 4th qtr. Yes we pulled out the victory by scoring 15 points in the 4th, but it was hardly a beating! Those two FB traps made by Schlesinger scoring from 14 and 15 yards were a thing of beauty!

And I would call that 4th Qtr the "beatdown". That's what is was, in their house, Sapp gasping for air...............