...handed the national title over Penn State because it was Tom Osborne’s turn...

I happen to think that LSU is highly overrated with one loss, and 3 near loses. Being a Florida grad I am reminded that last years champions team had even more close calls. To that I say, last years team, BCS Championship game aside, struggled. I couldn't watch a single game on replay during the summer outside the BCS and the SEC games because they were sad to watch. This begs the question of who you think the 5 worst title winners are going back to 1992 (when I started college). – JF

A: You're being way too hard on the 2007 Gators. It was a good team that had an all-timer of a championship performance, but yeah, it has to be in the mix of worst champions since 1992. 1984 BYU and the 1990 combination of Georgia Tech and Colorado are the most recent entries in the worst national champions, but if we’re talking since 1992, my five worst national champions would be ...

1) 1997 Michigan. This was before the Big Ten was a true part of the BCS equation. Michigan didn’t have to play any SEC team in a year with several killers, and it didn’t have to deal with a nasty Nebraska team that would’ve won a true national title game by three touchdowns. This was a very, very good Wolverine team, but there were better in 1997.

2) 2007 Florida. The team rose up to dominate in the national championship, and the defense was a killer, but the offense was too inconsistent. This turned out to be the best team in a lousy overall year for college football.

3) 1994 Nebraska. The 1995 team was one of the greatest of all-time. The 1994 team was fine, but was basically handed the national title over Penn State because it was Tom Osborne’s turn. The Huskers beat a good Colorado team, and that’s about it.

4) 1998 Tennessee. The Peyton Manning teams were better, but couldn’t get by Florida. A juggernaut of an Ohio State team, that got screwed over by Florida State in the polls, would’ve beaten these Vols.

5) 1996 Florida. Merry Christmas, Spurrier. The only way the Gators were able to win the national title was because it got a rematch against a Florida State team that won the first time around, and got help from Arizona State losing in the last minute to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Sorry I have to disagree on the '94 Nebraska team. They played a very good Miami team in Miami after their home winning streak had been broken by Washington. That team was on a mission to not let it happen again that year. I would say the '94 team was better then '97.

Not to mention Nebraska beating down Miami, while it took the whole Rose Bowl for penn state to dispose of .....................Oregon?

Hmm beating down Miami? If I recall (yes I was actually at that game).....It was 17-9 and we were trailing in the 4th qtr. Yes we pulled out the victory by scoring 15 points in the 4th, but it was hardly a beating! Those two FB traps made by Schlesinger scoring from 14 and 15 yards were a thing of beauty!

The fourth quarter certainly was a beating! :bonez

Two other reasons why us beating Miami was more impressive than Penn State beating Oregon:

Miami was ranked third. Oregon was ranked, what, 11th? :)

We beat Miami on THEIR HOME FIELD. :)

I live near PSU and fact work in State College PA. And i hear about this at least once a week, every week all year, every year. and i look at it like this- yes PSU had a good O fact they were the #1 O but PSU D sucked really bad. While Huskers had the #2 O and the #1 D. so i really feel that Huskers would have beat them. and the point about them having troubles w/ the Ducks is so true, and this isent the 07 ducks they weren't that good back then.

Nebraska is Hated around here so much, it's very very hard being a big red fan in PA but i wouldn't have any other way

GBR

No doubt! We took it to Miami IN THEIR OWN HOUSE!

We got the toughest bowl assignment and DOMINATED the 4th Qtr. We would laid SUCH a BEAT DOWN on '94 PSU.

As far as '82... all yinz got to say is Mike McCloskey!

I happen to think that LSU is highly overrated with one loss, and 3 near loses. Being a Florida grad I am reminded that last years champions team had even more close calls. To that I say, last years team, BCS Championship game aside, struggled. I couldn't watch a single game on replay during the summer outside the BCS and the SEC games because they were sad to watch. This begs the question of who you think the 5 worst title winners are going back to 1992 (when I started college). – JF

A: You're being way too hard on the 2007 Gators. It was a good team that had an all-timer of a championship performance, but yeah, it has to be in the mix of worst champions since 1992. 1984 BYU and the 1990 combination of Georgia Tech and Colorado are the most recent entries in the worst national champions, but if we’re talking since 1992, my five worst national champions would be ...

1) 1997 Michigan. This was before the Big Ten was a true part of the BCS equation. Michigan didn’t have to play any SEC team in a year with several killers, and it didn’t have to deal with a nasty Nebraska team that would’ve won a true national title game by three touchdowns. This was a very, very good Wolverine team, but there were better in 1997.

2) 2007 Florida. The team rose up to dominate in the national championship, and the defense was a killer, but the offense was too inconsistent. This turned out to be the best team in a lousy overall year for college football.

3) 1994 Nebraska. The 1995 team was one of the greatest of all-time. The 1994 team was fine, but was basically handed the national title over Penn State because it was Tom Osborne’s turn. The Huskers beat a good Colorado team, and that’s about it.

4) 1998 Tennessee. The Peyton Manning teams were better, but couldn’t get by Florida. A juggernaut of an Ohio State team, that got screwed over by Florida State in the polls, would’ve beaten these Vols.

5) 1996 Florida. Merry Christmas, Spurrier. The only way the Gators were able to win the national title was because it got a rematch against a Florida State team that won the first time around, and got help from Arizona State losing in the last minute to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Extreme lack of understanding here. ANYBODY that could beat Miami on their own home field in those years was a better team than the 94 Nittany Lions. Period. Miami was just an outrageous team back then. The voters understood though.

The Huskers beat a good Colorado team, and that’s about it.

I take offense to this. Admittedly, I know little about the intricacies that differentiate the 1994 Huskers from the 1995 squad, but that Colorado team wasn't merely "good", they were at the very least "damn good" and in all likelihood "excellent."

The 1990 NC team may have been a better team than the Buffs' '94 incarnation, but CU has never fielded a more talented squad than the one they had in 94. Kordell at QB, Rashaan Salaam at running back, one of the most dominant offensive lines in modern college football history, two 1st round wide receivers, a stout defense, and a spectacular defensive secondary... I mean, that team was absolutely STACKED.

And then the damned Fuskers absolutely steamrolled them. It wasn't even a game. And then there was this audible deflating noise, like a saliva covered balloon flying across a birthday party. Oh, so depressing...

And then the damned Fuskers absolutely steamrolled them. It wasn't even a game. And then there was this audible deflating noise, like a saliva covered balloon flying across a birthday party. Oh, so depressing...

... good times... for us... back *THEN*...

insert sound: hack sobbing like a little girl as he looks at what his beloved huskers have become.

No doubt! We took it to Miami IN THEIR OWN HOUSE!

We got the toughest bowl assignment and DOMINATED the 4th Qtr. We would laid SUCH a BEAT DOWN on '94 PSU.

As far as '82... all yinz got to say is Mike McCloskey!

haha i love the "yinz" part, I take it you have been out this way?

No, but my brother went to Carnegie Mellon for 2 years - and does a hysterical drop dead Yinzer accent. Notice I put the link to a site of Myron Cope clips. "Trrbull Tahhls" :lol:

Check 'em out.

You may also want to remember that Penn State won a national championship by having a pass that was caught 30" out of bounds called good.

...T_O_B

:bonez:angry::angry::bonez

Actually got two calls like that, that year. Alabama also got hosed in the back of the end zone. Of course it didn't hurt that the same ref made both calls and was from Pennsylvania. Funny how that was his last season as a ref ever again.

GBR!!!

Actually got two calls like that, that year. Alabama also got hosed in the back of the end zone. Of course it didn't hurt that the same ref made both calls and was from Pennsylvania. Funny how that was his last season as a ref ever again.

GBR!!!

That ref had family members who played for Penn. State!

I take offense to this. Admittedly, I know little about the intricacies that differentiate the 1994 Huskers from the 1995 squad, but that Colorado team wasn't merely "good", they were at the very least "damn good" and in all likelihood "excellent."

The 1990 NC team may have been a better team than the Buffs' '94 incarnation, but CU has never fielded a more talented squad than the one they had in 94. Kordell at QB, Rashaan Salaam at running back, one of the most dominant offensive lines in modern college football history, two 1st round wide receivers, a stout defense, and a spectacular defensive secondary... I mean, that team was absolutely STACKED.

I would say that Colorado team might have been one of the best Colorado teams ever. The Big Eight probably had the best 3 teams playing that year.

I feel ya on that one. Been there a bunch of times myself over the years. Although I don't think Kordell Stewart was a good QB against NU. He struck me as intimidated. Just my take.

The `94 Huskers = Top ten offense and top ten defense

The `94 nit lions = Number one offense and no defense

The huskers did struggle early against the canes but wore them down (the canes also had a good offense)

Also, like others have said Huskers beat Miami, nit lions beat friggin oregon.

I do believe the nit lions would have scored a few TDs against NU, but who the f*ck on the nit lions was going to stop Tommie and the boys?

Also, back to the `97 season: It still pisses me off that they gave part of our title to michigan. We beat five teams that finished in the top 20, they only beat three. We beat Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Peerless Price, Lenard Little, etc. in the Orange bowl. Clearly Nebraska was better than Michigan. Besides, as someone said earlier, Michigan wasn't part of the Bowl Aliance (or whatever they called it back then), so they didn't play in the National Championship game. WE DID!!!! and won it!!!!

Also, on the list of worst National Championships, what about when the sports writers gave USC a national title when they didn't even play in the championship game? That was one of the worst in recent memory. Why don't they give the NFL championship from last year to New England. It doesn't matter if they weren't in the Super Bowl. :sarcasm