...in defense of Callahan

I realize what he said today can be perceived as egotistic, but let's face it, anything that comes out of his mouth now will always be looked as negatively or how is he trying to f#*k over Husker Nation. I feel today in his press conference was one of the first times he's actually been honest. The guy is merely defending himself and the fact that some people claim he can't coach and sucks. I don't fault him for what he said, it did come out crappy and poor, but everything he says now will be....I just can't get over how fast this has all unraveled.

Stick together...Go Big Red

I realize what he said today can be perceived as egotistic, but let's face it, anything that comes out of his mouth now will always be looked as negatively or how is he trying to f#*k over Husker Nation. I feel today in his press conference was one of the first times he's actually been honest. The guy is merely defending himself and the fact that some people claim he can't coach and sucks. I don't fault him for what he said, it did come out crappy and poor, but everything he says now will be....I just can't get over how fast this has all unraveled.

Stick together...Go Big Red

NO, he's an :asshat plain and simple. Can't sugar coat that one.

Honestly, does anyone disagree? We all said, pretty much, look at Ganz, he's had four years in the system and he knows it in and out now. Look at Taylor, the improvement from year one to year two with one year in the system under his belt. Oh if only Keller had another year in this system, what could be. Things like that...

...but now of course, it's not a good system? So I guess these guys didn't benefit at all from time and learning in the WCO, and these past few games have just been small miracles?

ETR, I know what you are saying. No one likes to see a man beaten down to death. I will also say that he had a chance to come across as humble man, take it on the chin, admitt to some mistakes, embrace new ideas. Simple stuff. Instead he spins everything and has been beyond egocentric, full of pride and arrogance. The whole ride. The entire time. I cant sympathize for someone like that. Not one time in his four year career did he call Steve Pederson "the higher ups". He is slapping Dr. Tom right in the face each time he says that. He keeps distancing himself from Nebraska, the fans, the supporters, the AD, the chancellor, etc. I wanted him to do well here, but he never got it. Instead of adapting to the Nebraska way, he wanted Nebraska to adapt to his way. Dude is outnumbered.

Thats a very nice post, however its just a product of the board. Anything written on this board is going to be good. You can put in a monkey and he can write great posts on this board. The numbers are there, you just need to take a look at them. Im not sure I can convince anyone on this board of that, but its the truth. The numbers dont lie.

ETR, I know what you are saying. No one likes to see a man beaten down to death. I will also say that he had a chance to come across as humble man, take it on the chin, admitt to some mistakes, embrace new ideas. Simple stuff. Instead he spins everything and has been beyond egocentric, full of pride and arrogance. The whole ride. The entire time. I cant sympathize for someone like that. Not one time in his four year career did he call Steve Pederson "the higher ups". He is slapping Dr. Tom right in the face each time he says that. He keeps distancing himself from Nebraska, the fans, the supporters, the AD, the chancellor, etc. I wanted him to do well here, but he never got it. Instead of adapting to the Nebraska way, he wanted Nebraska to adapt to his way. Dude is outnumbered.

Is the WCO system a mistake? That's very, very much debatable. I believe in the system. We all believed in the system, or a lot of us did, until this year, and that was a defensive collapse. Our offense - yes, that darn WCO - is clicking. But I agree - he's doing a lot of distancing himself from Nebraska. I think the chances of him staying are low. It doesn't mean he's egocentric or spinning. He's just a believer in his own system...is that so wrong? I don't think it is. Again, maybe he's not the best fit for the HC position at the University of Nebraska, but it's not like he's the antichrist.

Apart from your post, the sheer lack of intelligent, reasoned responses to the OP here is simply staggering.

Is the WCO system a mistake? That's very, very much debatable. I believe in the system. We all believed in the system, or a lot of us did, until this year, and that was a defensive collapse. Our offense - yes, that darn WCO - is clicking. But I agree - he's doing a lot of distancing himself from Nebraska. I think the chances of him staying are low. It doesn't mean he's egocentric or spinning. He's just a believer in his own system...is that so wrong? I don't think it is. Again, maybe he's not the best fit for the HC position at the University of Nebraska, but it's not like he's the antichrist.

Apart from your post, the sheer lack of intelligent, reasoned responses to the OP here is simply staggering.

Don't forget TuffTiger :)

I dont doubt BC's ability to coach an offense or develop quarterbacks. I doubt his ability to motivate and his over confidence in the abilities of people who he considers friends. I like the loyalty, but there has to be accountability at this level, and I dont feel he is holding coaches on his staff acountable for how they manage their players or a game, and that is the difference between a great coordinator and a lousy head coach. Im just not sure he is cut out for the head coaching job.

The guy has really taken a pounding over the last month. I can't blame him for firing back but you are right. ANYTHING he says will be twisted by the mob that is angry Husker Nation. I had thought some of the stuff that has been brought up had been put to bed years ago (ie the OMG WALK ONS11122!!)

Thats a very nice post, however its just a product of the board. Anything written on this board is going to be good. You can put in a monkey and he can write great posts on this board. The numbers are there, you just need to take a look at them. Im not sure I can convince anyone on this board of that, but its the truth. The numbers dont lie.

you are so correct, 5-6 this year and blow out losses by 70 or more points over the last 4 years......no sh#t, can't escape those numbers!

I don't have a problem at all with Callahan trying to defend himself. I'd rather have that than his typical BS coach talk. The problem I have is that after Joe Ganz comes out and has (statistically) the best game of any QB in Nebraska history, Callahan chooses to come out and basically say Ganz (as well as Taylor and Keller) is just a product of Callahan's system. Even if that's true, that's a complete dick move.

So what if Ganz is just a system QB? Does that mean that Callahan's system is a good college system? No. The problem with Callahan's system is that it takes QBs so long to get it down and effective. It took Taylor time to figure out how to work the offense, Keller has been very inconsistent this year in spite of his amazing arm (and amazing history at ASU), and it must have taken Ganz four years to get the system down for a Keller injury late in the year to be the only thing that got Ganz a sniff of a real game. I stand by that old critique of Callahan's system that it is made for the NFL because in the pros you don't have such a high turnover in QBs as you do in college.

I don't have a problem at all with Callahan trying to defend himself. I'd rather have that than his typical BS coach talk. The problem I have is that after Joe Ganz comes out and has (statistically) the best game of any QB in Nebraska history, Callahan chooses to come out and basically say Ganz (as well as Taylor and Keller) is just a product of Callahan's system. Even if that's true, that's a complete dick move.

So what if Ganz is just a system QB? Does that mean that Callahan's system is a good college system? No. The problem with Callahan's system is that it takes QBs so long to get it down and effective. It took Taylor time to figure out how to work the offense, Keller has been very inconsistent this year in spite of his amazing arm (and amazing history at ASU), and it must have taken Ganz four years to get the system down for a Keller injury late in the year to be the only thing that got Ganz a sniff of a real game. I stand by that old critique of Callahan's system that it is made for the NFL because in the pros you don't have such a high turnover in QBs as you do in college.

you just had to wonder, when he first got here and guys were freaking out over a playbook that looked like the damn yellow pages.......first clue was right there, but being forever faithful we overlooked it...that was our first mistake.