...in defense of Callahan

I realize what he said today can be perceived as egotistic, but let's face it, anything that comes out of his mouth now will always be looked as negatively or how is he trying to f#*k over Husker Nation. I feel today in his press conference was one of the first times he's actually been honest. The guy is merely defending himself and the fact that some people claim he can't coach and sucks. I don't fault him for what he said, it did come out crappy and poor, but everything he says now will be....I just can't get over how fast this has all unraveled.

Stick together...Go Big Red

I agree. I'm not a big call fan...and he should probably go...but give hime a break.

Honestly, does anyone disagree? We all said, pretty much, look at Ganz, he's had four years in the system and he knows it in and out now. Look at Taylor, the improvement from year one to year two with one year in the system under his belt. Oh if only Keller had another year in this system, what could be. Things like that...

...but now of course, it's not a good system? So I guess these guys didn't benefit at all from time and learning in the WCO, and these past few games have just been small miracles?

If he were a good coach and knew he had a product of the system in Ganz, then why did he bring Keller in and hand him the starting torch? Has Ganz really even seen the field other than the Nevada game when Keller wasn't injured? There's a reason TT typically has a junior or senior mature QB. Their system is similar to ours. They don't start freshmen, sophomores, etc. because it takes time. Why did we bring in a bandaid?

In terms of defending himself because we think he sucks and can't coach, well look at all the records his TEAM has broken this year. They're not exactly the kinds of records a coach wants to own. Compared to the last 3 coaches NU has had spanning 4 decades or longer, he is a bust and can't coach!

Or perhaps competition breeds success? Or that Ganz, having to sit and watch after getting beat out for the job, had a fire lit under him? I still don't get why we think Cally HANDED the starting job to Keller. Pure speculation. Everyone on the staff said, all along, that the race was intense and very, very close. It's the fans that handed it to Keller.

Honestly, does anyone disagree? We all said, pretty much, look at Ganz, he's had four years in the system and he knows it in and out now. Look at Taylor, the improvement from year one to year two with one year in the system under his belt. Oh if only Keller had another year in this system, what could be. Things like that...

...but now of course, it's not a good system? So I guess these guys didn't benefit at all from time and learning in the WCO, and these past few games have just been small miracles?

If he were a good coach and knew he had a product of the system in Ganz, then why did he bring Keller in and hand him the starting torch? Has Ganz really even seen the field other than the Nevada game when Keller wasn't injured? There's a reason TT typically has a junior or senior mature QB. Their system is similar to ours. They don't start freshmen, sophomores, etc. because it takes time. Why did we bring in a bandaid?

In terms of defending himself because we think he sucks and can't coach, well look at all the records his TEAM has broken this year. They're not exactly the kinds of records a coach wants to own. Compared to the last 3 coaches NU has had spanning 4 decades or longer, he is a bust and can't coach!

Or perhaps competition breeds success? Or that Ganz, having to sit and watch after getting beat out for the job, had a fire lit under him? I still don't get why we think Cally HANDED the starting job to Keller. Pure speculation. Everyone on the staff said, all along, that the race was intense and very, very close. It's the fans that handed it to Keller.

yep, the race was so close that a guy who knew the sytem inside and out, had a better understanding and opportunity to execute the offense, sat on the bench until Keller couldn't play anymore. yep, no doubt about it, no doubt whatsoever, Sam won the position fair and square! :sarcasm

I don't have a problem at all with Callahan trying to defend himself. I'd rather have that than his typical BS coach talk. The problem I have is that after Joe Ganz comes out and has (statistically) the best game of any QB in Nebraska history, Callahan chooses to come out and basically say Ganz (as well as Taylor and Keller) is just a product of Callahan's system. Even if that's true, that's a complete dick move.

So what if Ganz is just a system QB? Does that mean that Callahan's system is a good college system? No. The problem with Callahan's system is that it takes QBs so long to get it down and effective. It took Taylor time to figure out how to work the offense, Keller has been very inconsistent this year in spite of his amazing arm (and amazing history at ASU), and it must have taken Ganz four years to get the system down for a Keller injury late in the year to be the only thing that got Ganz a sniff of a real game. I stand by that old critique of Callahan's system that it is made for the NFL because in the pros you don't have such a high turnover in QBs as you do in college.

Just because he didn't credit his players in this one specific press conference doesn't mean that he completely dismisses their accomplishments and files them under the category of "products of his system". He has stated several times that this program wouldn't be where it is without Zac Taylor (also saying something to the effect of Zac being the smartest quarerback he's ever coached). He's also said a few times this season that he couldn't be happier with Keller's performances, and that Keller helped keep this team alive. Same goes for Ganz, repeated comments about how they aren't going to shy away from the passing game because he and his staff have the upmost ability in Ganz (this is praising a player, if you are too thick to notice).

Get off the guys nuts :dunno:lol:

i would be glad to get off the guys' nuts, but not one damn time did he stand up and accept the responsibility for the defensive implosion of this team over the last 4 years. not once, not one goddam time did he take responsibility for the defensive failures, only gloated over some offensive stats run up against 2nd and 3rd teamers during blow out losses.

and that is the sign of a one way self promoting a$$hole.....and THAT is all i have to say about THAT!

Promise?!?!

If BC is such a good offensive coach, what happened against Mizzou? aTm? Okie St.?

Last year against OU and Auburn?

This offense has the potential to be good.

Doesn't mean it always is (or has been at NU).

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

I didn't hear BC stating at that point his system didn't work. But when he scores 73 - wow, it is all about the system. Nice.

How about bad defenses.

ETR, I know what you are saying. No one likes to see a man beaten down to death. I will also say that he had a chance to come across as humble man, take it on the chin, admitt to some mistakes, embrace new ideas. Simple stuff. Instead he spins everything and has been beyond egocentric, full of pride and arrogance. The whole ride. The entire time. I cant sympathize for someone like that. Not one time in his four year career did he call Steve Pederson "the higher ups". He is slapping Dr. Tom right in the face each time he says that. He keeps distancing himself from Nebraska, the fans, the supporters, the AD, the chancellor, etc. I wanted him to do well here, but he never got it. Instead of adapting to the Nebraska way, he wanted Nebraska to adapt to his way. Dude is outnumbered.

Is the WCO system a mistake? That's very, very much debatable. I believe in the system. We all believed in the system, or a lot of us did, until this year, and that was a defensive collapse. Our offense - yes, that darn WCO - is clicking. But I agree - he's doing a lot of distancing himself from Nebraska. I think the chances of him staying are low. It doesn't mean he's egocentric or spinning. He's just a believer in his own system...is that so wrong? I don't think it is. Again, maybe he's not the best fit for the HC position at the University of Nebraska, but it's not like he's the antichrist.

Apart from your post, the sheer lack of intelligent, reasoned responses to the OP here is simply staggering.

NO!!!! U!