If Osborne keeps Callahan, are we all going to complain?

Landlord

This whole thread reminds me of being back in college. In college, the grades you received on tests made up your grade. Giving BC another year would be like asking your professor to give you a passing grade just because you did well on the final but flunked every other test. College football has changed somewhat. Programs do occasionally have a rough season every now and again. Solich had one in 2002, but came back strong the following season. Clownahan is on the verge of not making a bowl game in 2 out of 4 seasons. It's not like making a bowl is that hard. You only have to win 50% of the games to make one.

Complain?

more likely....

Rant, throw a fit, hold breath, jump off high places, beat the wives/children...

Personally, I think a head coach should get SIX years like Frank did.

My favorite example is Mangino-

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

If KU didn't wait SIX years, they never would have sniffed 10-0. Mangino's record SUCKED until year six.

But if a revolving door policy (four years or less) is going to be in place from now on..... I hope TO gets PJohnson for the next HC.

BEAT CU!!

you will be chastised for it because one game does not make a season.. if we lose every game up to the colorado game, and win 74-23 every year.. would we be happy? no we wouldnt but ya know? thats an impressive win, so lets keep the coach.. sorry but it cant happen.. cally hasnt done enough while he was here.. i think the reason the players played with all the fire they did was because of senior day.. the last home game of the year.. fans were behind them.. they got into it.. it was a great atmosphere to be in.. however, it does not mean that cally has done a good job, like he himself has stated numerous times..

bottom line.

Callahan gone after Colorado.

Agree whole heartedly. Callahan needs to be gone. One game does NOT make up for this season. dedhoarse

:yeah:yeahdedhoarsededhoarse

I want Callahan gone. However if TO decides to keep him, my trust in TO trumps my attitude to have Cally gone. Whatever TO decides to do I will roll with. Just read my signature.

If TO gave a reasonable explanation of why Callahan was staying, and that there would be a new DC, I might be willing accept it. But if TO were to say that Callahan was staying, and no changes were being made to the DC, sorry I would complain - loudly, and often.

Complain?

more likely....

Rant, throw a fit, hold breath, jump off high places, beat the wives/children...

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

If KU didn't wait SIX years, they never would have sniffed 10-0. Mangino's record SUCKED until year six.

But if a revolving door policy (four years or less) is going to be in place from now on..... I hope TO gets PJohnson for the next HC.

BEAT CU!!

The problem with your KU analogy is that there are vastly different expectations between KU and Nebraska. Mangino had all the time in the world to make that sow's ear into a silk purse because they hadn't done anything in the past umpteen years. Another problem with your analogy is that KU is far more likely to be 6-6 next year than 10-0, based on their past history. Teams play over their heads every year. Clearly KU is doing that this year. You simply cannot expect that to happen year in and year out.

That's a complete apples to oranges comparison, clone.

Complain?

more likely....

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

BEAT CU!!

Mangino has a 51.4% (just 5.7% below Clownahan) winning percentage over his tenure at KU. The closest season to even match his overall record was 5 years before he even got there in 1997. In 2001 (the season before he took over), KU was 3-8. In 2000, 4-7. In 1999, 5-7. In 1998, 4-7. In 1997, 6-5.

In 2005, KU had an 8-4 record. Previous to 2005, KU had only won 8 or more games 5 times since 1945. Yep, that's right just 5 times in 60+ years. There were only 8 KU teams that had a higher winning percentage in those same 60+ years than Mangino had in 2005.

Mangino took over a pretty bad KU team that has little to no history of winning. You can go ahead and make all the comparisons that you want to in regards of NU to KU, but they just hold little to no merit. I could go dig up all the statistics from the same years for NU, but I don't need to.

Another thing you need to remember about Mangino and Kansas is this little fact. KU's AD came out publicly and stated that Mangino needed to win over 50% of his games and make a bowl game this year or his job would be in jeapardy. Even though KU has sucked for almost ever, even their AD was growing weary with Mangino and the direction of the football program. In terms of giving a coach time, I think comparing the KU position to the NU position is like comparing water and oil.

Complain?

more likely....

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

BEAT CU!!

The problem with your KU analogy is that there are vastly different expectations between KU and Nebraska. Mangino had all the time in the world to make that sow's ear into a silk purse because they hadn't done anything in the past umpteen years. Another problem with your analogy is that KU is far more likely to be 6-6 next year than 10-0, based on their past history. Teams play over their heads every year. Clearly KU is doing that this year. You simply cannot expect that to happen year in and year out.

Callahan took over a program that was down...but wasn't where KU was when Mangino took over.

Mangino also hasn't near the "quality" of recruiting classes that callahan has had.

I will not complain if BC is kept, once I see an effort by BC to make some changes and relate to the fans. If it's the same old crap then yes. Changes being Coz gone and a new DC. He would need to NOT treat the fans like a bunch of hicks from the country that don't understand football. But I would not be opposed to him staying if he made these efforts. And i think TO could help in that a lot.

I will not complain if BC is kept, once I see an effort by BC to make some changes and relate to the fans. If it's the same old crap then yes. Changes being Coz gone and a new DC. He would need to NOT treat the fans like a bunch of hicks from the country that don't understand football. But I would not be opposed to him staying if he made these efforts. And i think TO could help in that a lot.

I think the saddest thing about this whole situation is he's gone so far that any effort he would try from now on would be seen as a front, or just to appease Osborne, not truly making an effort. I think this is truly his personality and it just doesn't fit. At least the cupboard isn't bare, we have a bunch of "4 or 5 star" players here and coming in. I look for NU to rebound next year quickly with a new staff.

I honestly do not think it is TO's choice to make ,to say I think the decision has already been made and Callahan is gone ,In the past TO has given second chances though (L.P.) comes to mind obviously a lot different circumstances ,but a second chance is a second chance no matter what you did to garner it :nutz I would personally consider it a kick in the nuts If Callahan was kept on but thats me

Complain?

more likely....

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

BEAT CU!!

The point isn't to compare apples to oranges, NU to Ku or the size of our vehicles. I don't care if KU ever wins another game.

The point is this--

TIME.

Mangino was given time. That's the only comparison I'm making.

An NU coach will never again get six years to see what he can/can't do. The revolving coaching door is about to start spinnning at NU.

Look at HC tenure for the last four coaches and tell me what the "trend" is. It's trending towards shorter HC coach tenures, not longer. Shorter generally means less stability. Solich got six years. Cally got four years. Will the next coach get three?

A few coaches have been able to turn schools around in a year or two. The huge majority don't. Patience is a virtue that's totally lacking at NU.

BEAT CU!!