Weight: 176

40 time: 4.8

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Northern Illinois

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Owns multiple state records for passing in Iowa. He now owns state records for yards in a season (3,509) and career (7,481) and touchdown passes in a season (46) and career (90).

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: Hard to put a percentage on it, as schools like Nebraska and Michigan State are picking up his recruitment now. But he did state earlier in the process that Nebraska was his "dream" school.

http://www.dailygate.com/articles/2007/11/14/sports/01.txt

Vandenberg gets offer from Huskers

By: Mark Smidt/Gate City Publisher

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:48 PM CST

For the past few years, high school football experts have raved about the abilities of Keokuk quarterback James Vandenberg.

But the nation's elite college programs have not offered him a chance to bring his abilities to the next level.

That changed on Wednesday when the Keokuk High School senior received an offer to play football for the University of Nebraska.

Vandenberg said he received a letter making the offer during school.

“It's definitely an amazing place with an outstanding tradition,” Vandenberg said of Nebraska.

Vandenberg was definitely excited by the offer and the opportunities, but he said he did have other things on his mind: On Saturday, the Chiefs play for the school's first state football title.

“It's exciting and all,” he said of the offer, “but I'll evaluate it after this weekend.

“We've been working hard all year to finish out at the dome, and there's no reason to stop now.”

Jayson Campbell, KHS head football coach, said he is excited for Vandenberg. “He deserves all he can get,” Campbell said.

Campbell said Vandenberg has outstanding physical skills, as well as football IQ.

Toby Vandenberg, James' father, called the offer “amazing.”

“Over the years, Nebraska has an amazing tradition -- like the Notre Dames or Michigans,” he said.

And Toby was thankful his son had help over the years. “He's fortunate to have played on an exceptional team and to have a coaching staff that has allowed his talents to be displayed,” Toby said.

Vandenberg also has received an offer to play for the University of Northern Illinois.

looks like he threw for over 3000 yards and 43 TD's with 4 INT's so far this year. his team is playing in the Iowa State Championship on saturday

I've heard alot of good things about this kid. I watched the interview with him about a month ago and he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. He kinda went away from his stats and how good they are and put all of his success on his team. :thumbs

looks like he threw for over 3000 yards and 43 TD's with 4 INT's so far this year. his team is playing in the Iowa State Championship on saturday

I've heard alot of good things about this kid. I watched the interview with him about a month ago and he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. He kinda went away from his stats and how good they are and put all of his success on his team. :thumbs

If he is playing this well why is this his first high profile offer? If those numbers are accurate he should be getting some looks from some good colleges. Anyone?

If he is playing this well why is this his first high profile offer? If those numbers are accurate he should be getting some looks from some good colleges. Anyone?

Not sure exactly why, but most higher profiles programs already have their QB's locked up at this point in the recruiting year. At least the higher profile ones are locked up. Our's got away because of all the stupid bullsh#t going on.

Not sure exactly why, but most higher profiles programs already have their QB's locked up at this point in the recruiting year. At least the higher profile ones are locked up. Our's got away because of all the stupid bullsh#t going on.

Maybe because his team is only 3A which is one below the top class in Iowa. Of course plenty of good players have come from smaller classes over the years. Does Scott Frost still hold the state records he set at class C Wood River?

Maybe because his team is only 3A which is one below the top class in Iowa. Of course plenty of good players have come from smaller classes over the years. Does Scott Frost still hold the state records he set at class C Wood River?

Check out his measurables. 176 pounds? I don't care how good he is, that's a number that he's had to overcome. The fact that he's now getting recognition is probably a testement as to how good he is.

Check out his measurables. 176 pounds? I don't care how good he is, that's a number that he's had to overcome. The fact that he's now getting recognition is probably a testement as to how good he is.

Wasn't Beau Davis even skinnier coming out of high school? Maybe 165? And he had problem packing on the weight.

he is getting interest from Mich St, Iowa, and Kansas. i think that it is because alot of schools were probably waiting to see what kind of senior year he had. there is not alot of talk about his junior numbers out there so maybe he didnt play well, or very much as a junior.

BTW he was 18-26 for 219 yards and 3 TD in a 42-7 win in the championship game