QB James Vandenberg

BigWillie

also think that he is under the radar like Patrick Witt, plus he is a 4.0 gpa student. in his interview with scout he said that he realizes that it is probably going to a year for him to learn to play at the college level.

he is really excited about the NU offer, has been to a bunch of games at NU and has always wanted to play for NU. the coaching turmoil doesnt really bother him, in fact it is because of the turmoil that he got the offer.

if it wasnt for the question of who was going to be on staff nest year at NU, gabbert doesnt de-commit and James doesnt get the offer

i feel that it is about 90% that he commits, only way he wont is if the new coaching staff doesnt want him

looks like he threw for over 3000 yards and 43 TD's with 4 INT's so far this year. his team is playing in the Iowa State Championship on saturday

I've heard alot of good things about this kid. I watched the interview with him about a month ago and he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. He kinda went away from his stats and how good they are and put all of his success on his team. :thumbs

If he is playing this well why is this his first high profile offer? If those numbers are accurate he should be getting some looks from some good colleges. Anyone?

Not sure exactly why, but most higher profiles programs already have their QB's locked up at this point in the recruiting year. At least the higher profile ones are locked up. Our's got away because of all the stupid bullsh#t going on.

Maybe because his team is only 3A which is one below the top class in Iowa. Of course plenty of good players have come from smaller classes over the years. Does Scott Frost still hold the state records he set at class C Wood River?

Check out his measurables. 176 pounds? I don't care how good he is, that's a number that he's had to overcome. The fact that he's now getting recognition is probably a testement as to how good he is.

Wasn't Beau Davis even skinnier coming out of high school? Maybe 165? And he had problem packing on the weight.

yeah, i think Davis had some health issues, mono or something to that effect.

Did he just get an Iowa offer?

Looks like he did according to Scouts.com

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...amp;nid=3031185

dont think that it will matter, he will be "N" if the new staff wants him

I was talking to one of the Iowa fans at work today about this kid and he said that this kid wears Iowa Hawkeyes wrist bands when he's playing. Probably doesn't mean anything just passing it along. ;)

This could be a decent replacement for Gabbert. I like that he has a high football IQ. That is perhaps the most important trait for a QB. And even though he may not had been in the best class of competition, he has at least shown something on the field.

Gabbert may have the most natural physical talent out there, and I am not down grading him because he is no longer coming here. And what I am about to say could be because of his injury this year and because he was on a sh#tty team. And, yes, he could be Missouri's next great QB. But he really hasn't proved to be a five star on the field so far. Last year he completed just 50 percent of his passes when healthy (Again, yes, it could had been because of the team he played for.). So I don't think I'm being unfair by saying it is somewhat of a mystery whether he is really that good.

And, yes, you can say that Vandenberg play against less competition and it is not a gimme that he will be a great college QB, but he has shown more on the field than Gabbert. And while we won't know for perhaps three or four years, it's possible we got the QB with the better football smarts. We shall find out some day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any word if he will pull the trigger now that Coach Pelini is da man and the offense isn't gonna change much?

He committed to Iowa last night.

Not too surprised. Most likely he would never have seen the field at Nebraska. With Ganz, Lee, and Witt, it would take a heck of a lot for a guy to come in and start over them. At least at Iowa he may get to play.

I'm not too worried about getting a QB this class, but we could really use a stud for the next class.