I don't get the love for Pelini and Gill

Tell me the truth: If neither of these guys had a previous tie to NU, would you give a sweat drop about either one? Give me a break.

Turner Gill has done a respectable job at Buffalo, but there's about 50 other 1-A coaches that are doing respectable. And yeah Pelini's a good DC. So? Ever heard of Mike Stoops? How well has that turned out?

All this "keep it in the family" bit is stupid. What diff does it make? Alabama wanted to "keep it in the family" - what did that get them? Notre Dame wanted a Notre Dame guy instead of Willingham. So they got Weiss. Is one win good enough since he's a ND guy? Would we accept one win next year from Gill because he's a "Nebraska guy"?

Let's go out and hire a proven college head coach. Johnson. Kelly. Whoever.

Let's not take chances on some meat head just because he used to live in Lincoln and work as an assistant. Pelini was here all of one year. Whoopty do. If I'm T.O., I'm not placing the fortunes of my program in the hands of ANY DC, nor a head coach from some piss ant D1 school in Buffalo NY, just because dude worked as an assistant at NU and is winning some games in the tundra.

Tell me the truth: If neither of these guys had a previous tie to NU, would you give a sweat drop about either one? Give me a break.

Turner Gill has done a respectable job at Buffalo, but there's about 50 other 1-A coaches that are doing respectable. And yeah Pelini's a good DC. So? Ever heard of Mike Stoops? How well has that turned out?

All this "keep it in the family" bit is stupid. What diff does it make? Alabama wanted to "keep it in the family" - what did that get them? Notre Dame wanted a Notre Dame guy instead of Willingham. So they got Weiss. Is one win good enough since he's a ND guy? Would we accept one win next year from Gill because he's a "Nebraska guy"?

Let's not take chances on some meat head just because he used to live in Lincoln and work as an assistant. Pelini was here all of one year. Whoopty do. If I'm T.O., I'm not placing the fortunes of my program in the hands of ANY DC, nor a head coach from some piss ant D1 school in Buffalo NY, just because dude worked as an assistant at NU and is winning some games in the tundra.

Well if Devaney would have taken that attitude we wouldn't have had Osborne.

Wow, a little hate filled. People like Gill because he knows what husker football means, beyond the game. The way you carry yourself and to respect the history of it. We didnt get that with B.C. I think that is more Petersons fault than Bills, but he should of figured it out if he is so smart. Bo seems to get what college ball means, and there were many reports that his family loved being in Lincoln, and I think he would be a good fit at this time, a little rough around the collar, more like Devany less like T.O. IMO

Pittsburgh Steelers seem to be having a good year having a coach that had no head coaching experience.

1. Bill Callahan's head coaching record was highly questionable.

2. Turner Gill understands "what Nebraska football means". What the hell does that mean? How many "W"s is that going to be good for? You think Charlie Weiss understands "what ND football means"? How's that working out for ol' Charlie?

3. There are tons of great HCs that were once assistants. So? There are a lot of other crappy HCs that were once great assistants - why would I take the gamble when I don't have to?

If it's a proven college HC with an impressive resume, I'm not putting either Pelini or Gill in his class just because we are so arrogant to think we have some "special ways" in Nebraska that these guys might understand. That's just a bunch of sentimental b.s.

If you can hire a proven winner, do so. Let the KSUs of the world take chances. If it works out for 'em, great.

WE DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THESE STUPID CHANCES. WE'RE NEBRASKA.

1. Bill Callahan's head coaching record was highly questionable.

2. Turner Gill understands "what Nebraska football means". What the hell does that mean?

3. There are tons of great HCs that were once assistants. So? There are a lot of other crappy HCs that were once great assistants - why would I take the gamble when I don't have to?

If it's a proven college HC with an impressive resume, I'm not putting either Pelini or Gill in his class just because we are so arrogant to think we have some "special ways" in Nebraska that these guys might understand. That's just a bunch of sentimental b.s.

If you can hire a proven winner, do so. Let the KSUs of the world take chances. If it works out for 'em, great.

So are the "proven coaches" of the world they guys who can get hot and win a few games at Cincinnati or UConn in the Big Least or Wake Forest in the anemic football conference that is the ACC? The only guy who impresses me that is being thrown out as a "proven coach" is Paul Johnson, as anyone that can take the mediocre talent at Navy and get that many wins is a decent coach. So unless we woo a coach who's already at a big time school (unlikely, given the decline of Husker football and the difficulty recruiting kids to Nebraska), I would say that Gill, or even Pelini who I'm not a fan of, are both better choices than guys who caught lightning in a bottle at basketball schools. (Again, Paul Johnson excluded, as I'm very impressed with his work.)

Pittsburgh Steelers seem to be having a good year having a coach that had no head coaching experience.

Different game, doesn't have to deal with extra things like recruiting and classes for athletes, etc. But you are going to find success stories and failure stories at all levels of football for coaches with no HC experience so I don't particularly pay any attention to people that use that as a reason to not hire someone.

And another thing off this subject. It was easier back when TO was hired to take him because the game was different then too. No limit on scholarships, the conference wasn't as tough. You didn't have all these other schools beating the top teams. I don't think we will ever see a program be that dominant for that long again because the college football landscape has changed. So when people expect 9-10 wins a year every year or bust, it's just more difficult to do now for all the aforementioned reasons. It may work for 5-6 years in a row but things will cycle out and the team will be stuck with down years when others are up. It's just the way it works now....

Wow, a little hate filled. People like Gill because he knows what husker football means, beyond the game. The way you carry yourself and to respect the history of it. We didnt get that with B.C. I think that is more Petersons fault than Bills, but he should of figured it out if he is so smart. Bo seems to get what college ball means, and there were many reports that his family loved being in Lincoln, and I think he would be a good fit at this time, a little rough around the collar, more like Devany less like T.O. IMO

Ok, Bob Stoops he never had HC experience.

respectable? you must not be familiar with that football program