The Biggest Embarrassment...

robsker

I love the Huskers - When we lost NC games before TO won the "BIG ONE" and the players and coaches cried on the sidelines, I cried too. When they cried tears of joy after finally winning a NC, I cried too. For as long as I an remember this great team and the fans were on the same level because of the love for this program. All I feel I am entitled to, as a fan, is that the team (coaches/players) show the same love as I do. That feeling has not been around for 4 years. I expect the team to play with the same love and enthusiasm that I am cheering them on with.

TO is back because he loves this program. Period. And he wants to see it return to what it once was. Not necessarily W's and L's but coaches, players, and fans alike sharing all of this together.

There used to be a feeling that when you were at the games that you where a part of something wonderful. This staff has intensionally distance itself from that. I think a lot of the fans feel pushed away, and most will push back. Most of don't expect to win every game, hope, yes. What we do expect, is to leave the stadium after a loss feeling our team left everything they had on the field.

I saw the header for this topic so I thought I'd check in and see what it's about. I didn't read all the posts because some of them seemed a little lengthy. But one thing that stuck out in my mind was that "The Biggest Embarrasment" Myself as a Husker fan would never be embarrased to be a husker fan or of other husker fans, because we all bleed the same color..... I would rather use dissapointment or dissapointed! It's been a down year and everyone has been impacted by it, keep you chins up!!

I will say AMEN to that. :yeah

Callahan is that you disguised as robsker??

Wally --- I like that :)

No, I am not Callahan. I do however think that right and reasonable behavior is it's own reward and that it would be great if we as a fan base were classy and great sports in both victory and in defeat.

Nebraska is a great place. We long ago had to leave Nebraska for a job but still see that state as a special place. Frankly, I have been surprised that we as fans have been so classless (again, not everyone, but many). Perhaps it is just an outcrop of the internet age --- anyone can post in representation of a group and all it takes is certain critical mass of posters with poor behavior before the thing goes south. In any event, I, and I can only speak for myself, am more saddened by the fan response than what it that the fans are responding to.

Robsker, I think that much of this has to do with the "new era" of unfettered (and anonymous) internet message boards, and sports talk radio. I came to this board thinking that there would be more talk of x's and o's, of different offenses and defenses, personnel, etc. It has turned into a place for folks to go to vent against the Villian of the Day. It does get tiring to see the constant postings that belittle and berate the coach ("Clownahan," according to one persistent poster).

I understand the frustration of this year's season, but all teams go through this from time to time, and some of these guys would make you think that there is nothing more to life.

But you must also understand that the "Clownahan" cluster is only a tiny proportion of fans. Most do not post on message boards, and most do not call in to talk radio.

I came to this board thinking that there would be more talk of x's and o's, of different offenses and defenses, personnel, etc. It has turned into a place for folks to go to vent against the Villian of the Day. It does get tiring to see the constant postings that belittle and berate the coach ("Clownahan," according to one persistent poster).

I must have missed all the threads you've started discussing X's and O's.

If that's what you want to talk about, nobody's stopping you. I'd bet you would get a lot of response if you wanted to discuss that stuff. I know I would join in.

A big problem about talking alignment and whatnot is not having a chalkboard to use. If you can figure out a way around that I think we could have some pretty good discussions about what works, what to do, what not to do, blah blah blah applesauce.

in the fall of the Husker program has been the fan response.

The fan base, as represented here and elsewhere has embarrassed the state of Nebraska far worse than has the football team. The response to the fall of the football team has been far, far worse than has the fall itself. The fan base needs to get a life. Losing in a football game happens 1/2 the time, by definition. Fans should expect that over time your team will eventually struggle. Our teams struggles have been few and very, very far between. That the program is down is, in and of itself, not a big issue --- nothing to get worked up over. We'll be back, in due course. We have no right to expect excellence all the time. Why are we so special?

So, really the worst thing that has come from the fall of the program is that many Nebraska fans have been shown to be terrible losers, expressing an arrogant sense of entitlement and a childish sense of being poor sports. Of course this indictment does not include everyone or perhaps even most fans --- but enough fans have been unsportsmanlike and ridiculous in their behavior that the fan base at Nebraska is rightly viewed now as no different than any other collective fan base. We are great if we win and not when we lose.

The team will likely get better and recover. Will the fans?

I'm a bit late to this party--but robsker, you hit the nail on the head. Sadly, this is very true.

in the fall of the Husker program has been the fan response.

The fan base, as represented here and elsewhere has embarrassed the state of Nebraska far worse than has the football team. The response to the fall of the football team has been far, far worse than has the fall itself. The fan base needs to get a life. Losing in a football game happens 1/2 the time, by definition. Fans should expect that over time your team will eventually struggle. Our teams struggles have been few and very, very far between. That the program is down is, in and of itself, not a big issue --- nothing to get worked up over. We'll be back, in due course. We have no right to expect excellence all the time. Why are we so special?

So, really the worst thing that has come from the fall of the program is that many Nebraska fans have been shown to be terrible losers, expressing an arrogant sense of entitlement and a childish sense of being poor sports. Of course this indictment does not include everyone or perhaps even most fans --- but enough fans have been unsportsmanlike and ridiculous in their behavior that the fan base at Nebraska is rightly viewed now as no different than any other collective fan base. We are great if we win and not when we lose.

The team will likely get better and recover. Will the fans?

Well, you can't expect 100% maturity from everyone. Husker fans are still the classiest around.

Robsker attacks fans for ingratitude to team; His attack is not founded in facts, but hyperbole. all the proof you need is the consecutive sell out of the stadium remains intact. Count the turnstyle robsker.

people vote with thier wallets. You are like a mouthpiece of the new left, always seeking to find a scapegoat.What better scapegoat than question the loyalty of a fan base beyond your hyperbole.

Husker football isnt going anywhere that this fan bases has not seen before. Afterall we've always had opponents in every game, we've seen bad coaching in victory and defeat. Every game at home or on the road has been watched critically by most of us.

We dont even need claims such as We'll be back" truth is we never left.

We know good football by our tradition, including the battles of the 70's when we couldnt get past the Sooners, no we are an educated fan, schooled in both adversity and success.

we dont need no mouthpieces, to describe our intent.

We are what we are, and will make no apologies for it.

your attempt to add baggage to the equation has failed.

Very interesting response.

First, there was no attack. Ingratitude, while perhaps part of what I have in view, is a minor component. Dedication to the team was never questioned. By the way, an argument cannot be based on hyperbole as set against fact --- an argument can be exaggerated and embellished and that would hedge towards hyperbole. So, the misuse of terms makes it unclear as to what you are trying to say --- but it is clear you do not agree. Fair enough. Anyway, the facts, subjective as they are, are that Husker fans --- at least a subset of them --- have shown that when they lose they cry like babies as if the world was crashing in and they in turn call for the heads of everyone who was responsible (and many do so in most unpleasant ways) Such is not right, reaonsable or what we should ascribe to.

For the record, I am not PC and have no problem expressing opinions or hearing those of others. I have written 20 posts stating that this staff must go. I was on the leading edge of that movement --- while most on this board were still on the Callahan bandwagon (or were wavering) I was fully stating that coaching was the problem. While this staff should (and I think will) go, I nonetheless think (at least as far as I can tell) that Callahan worked his butt off. I assume the same for his staff (though cannot dogmatically say whether it is true). They deserve to be commended for their efforts. They deserve reasonable treatment. They were not evil. They were not purposeful in what came to pass. They just failed. So, we replace them.

Rather than an attack, this has been a call to fix our attitudes, not have such a sense of entitlement, treat those who served their best in a civil manner and be gracious in both victory and defeat. We will get plenty of practice at dealing with defeat and so lets learn how to do it well. No one wants to lose --- but when one does, it is there (over and against in victory) where character is on display.

Tom Osborne was and is an awesome man (coach) not because he won (although he did do that) but because he both won and lost very well. He was civil, poised, appreciative, humble and generous in both victory and defeat. We as a fan base should look to TO, a model of integrity, and support our program in like fashion.

As for the mouthpiece of the new left --- wow. You would have to see my voting record and my positions on social, spiritual and political issues --- if you did, you would see that I as right-wing as one can almost be.