Think about the TO and LP situation

jawtin

Respectfully, there is no point to this whole thread. You are comparing apples to oranges. Callahan's job performance to a kid's legal problems. Might as well close this thread.

I guess you didn't read my whole post. It states that you can't compare the situations. The point is up until this year, the team has progressively gotten better and giving BC a chance to change and fix, something of which he really hasn't had the chance to do, may be an option for TO.

Respectfully, there is no point to this whole thread. You are comparing apples to oranges. Callahan's job performance to a kid's legal problems. Might as well close this thread.

I guess you didn't read my whole post. It states that you can't compare the situations. The point is up until this year, the team has progressively gotten better and giving BC a chance to change and fix, something of which he really hasn't had the chance to do, may be an option for TO.

I love it when people question the validity of others posts with comments like "I dont see the point" its a message board fellas. nothing more.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying Callahan has failed to put a proper product out on that field, and he has failed to properly correct the problem.

Don't go overboard here.

And that is where I think folks getting this idea Callahan may just be kept as HC. If Callahan is willing to make coaching changes and Osborne feels comfortable with that decision (ORRRRR...if Osborne is unable to get the new HC he wants), Callahan may just be around for another year or even two. Highly unlikely, but not out of the question either.

That will depend somewhat on the new coaching staff.

Sigmund Freud would like us to know - Callahan and Co. are gone.

Back when TO followed the Chritian faith by forgiving Lawrence Phillips and gave him a second chance at redeeming himself, he was heavily critizied by the national media for his actions. Do any of you think he will go down the same path? Be it you cannot compare the LP situation the the current coaching staff fallout, the situation does have a side to it where BC could be given a second chance to fix the problems. Solich was presured (by the media at least) into revamping his coaching line up and he did so. I have begun to think TO may do the same in this situation, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

TO handled the LP situation in an appropriate, humane manner. Phillips had little promise of success in life other than on the football field. What was Osborne supposed to do, cast LP out just because that’s what a bunch of media creeps wanted?

Regardless of which option he chooses, let's hope TO handles the BC situation in an appropriate, professional manner as well. One way or the other.

Back when TO followed the Chritian faith by forgiving Lawrence Phillips and gave him a second chance at redeeming himself, he was heavily critizied by the national media for his actions. Do any of you think he will go down the same path? Be it you cannot compare the LP situation the the current coaching staff fallout, the situation does have a side to it where BC could be given a second chance to fix the problems. Solich was presured (by the media at least) into revamping his coaching line up and he did so. I have begun to think TO may do the same in this situation, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

TO handled the LP situation in an appropriate, humane manner. Phillips had little promise of success in life other than on the football field. What was Osborne supposed to do, cast LP out just because that’s what a bunch of media creeps wanted?

Regardless of which option he chooses, let's hope TO handles the BC situation in an appropriate, professional manner as well. One way or the other.

thats the only way he knows

I don't think it was TO's place to forgive LP for things that he did to other people. Also, forgiveness doesn't mean that you let people continue in their place of privilege; that's more like ignoring the problem. I can forgive a murderous sociopath, but that doesn't mean that he ought to be let out of prison-- it's something between me and the person who murdered my family member (or whatever). It doesn't mean that more people should be put at risk.

TO might "forgive" cally for what happened to the Huskers under his leadership, but that doesn't mean he ought to maintain control-- it would just mean that it's done once it's done. Forgive him, don't hold grudges or ill will, don't bad mouth him, and don't even bring it up and discuss it unnecessarily (as in just to bad mouth him, as a study of what can go wrong, sure, he's a good example of the detrimental effects of cutting ties with the past, tradition, etc.)

LP was probably one of the 3 best I-backs we ever had. He was a troubled kid to say the least, but still a great football player. TO thought it was better for him to be in the team environment, that this was a way to help him find the right path to his future. Unfortunately it didn't work-out and I'm sure that TO feels some sense of failure for the way things have turned out for LP.

Cally is a whole different deal. There is nothing to be gained for either the Nebraska football program or coach Callahan if TO retains his services.

...T_O_B

I agree. I think that TO believed that he could turn LP's life around.

Phillips was a kid from a broken home. Callahan is a grown man. Apples and oranges here.

You couldn't be more wrong about that. We were 10-3 the season before Callahan was hired, and he failed to ever match that record. We've been going backwards since he arrived.

1. TO admits he should've handled the LP-situation differently. He ended-up tarnishing the program for a kid that just went-on to more thuggery(that wasn't the goal of-course but obviously the end-product)

2. TO gave LP another shot because he figured getting LP back into football was LP's best chance in life. TO will be looking at what is best for the program not what is best for BC.

Callahan shows no remorse. Callahan either believes or has certainly given the impression that he believes that he is doing everything right, and there is no need for him to change his ways. He has been recalcitrant throughout his entire tenure at UNL. There's no comparison between the two situations whatsoever.

Why should he show "remorse"? He's not obligated to say that his whole system and method of coaching are wrong when he fails. He's said many times that he is responsible for the product out on the field, and that he is extremely disappointed and hurt by how the season has turned out. What more do you want? "I am a terrible coach and I resign?" He's not going to say that, nor should he. He's still going to believe in what he teaches, and he's going to continue coaching to the best of his ability, which I really think he is doing.

I'm not standing up for the job he's done. I just think it's wrong for everybody to act like Bill Callahan has done a terrible thing for which he needs to apologize.

no apology needed or expected. he just needs to hit the door. he can't coach college ball.

You couldn't be more wrong about that. We were 10-3 the season before Callahan was hired, and he failed to ever match that record. We've been going backwards since he arrived.

Actually I can't be wrong about the point because it's a fact. Callahan wasn't here for the 10-3 season. You can't grade him for or agaisnt a season he had no control over. Just because the team before him had a 10-3 record doesn't make him a failure if he doesn't match or exceed that team instantly the next season. He started the WCO with option offense players and from that point up until this year, Callahan's team did get better year by year. The defense sucked it this year and their problems ooozed onto the offense. When the defense was constantly giving up TD's the offense was always playing catchup and under pressure picking up the slack which lead to where we are now with a total team problem. There's a logical scenario where TO may give a BC a chance to fix the problem (defense), continue the sucsess of the offense, and get the team as a whole back on track.