Turner to New Mex?

I honestly have no clue what New Mexico State is looking for. The offense would be a fit, but it says that they are moving from the Sun Belt to the WAC and are looking to step things up especially from a recruiting stand point. I dunno if an unproven head coach is what they are looking for IMO.

Heard today that turner is going to wayne state.

There was an article in yesterdays OWH talking about this. There is something in today's saying Wayne State is holding a 2pm press conference to name their new Head Coach. I didn't know NAIA schools held press conferences. If this is true that is a big step down if you ask me. Crap there are High School jobs that are better then taking a NAIA job.IMO Some people around here will have a new favorite team though. All Nebraska kids running the option.

There was an article in yesterdays OWH talking about this. There is something in today's saying Wayne State is holding a 2pm press conference to name their new Head Coach. I didn't know NAIA schools held press conferences. If this is true that is a big step down if you ask me. Crap there are High School jobs that are better then taking a NAIA job.IMO Some people around here will have a new favorite team though. All Nebraska kids running the option.

If you knew what you were talking about you would know wayne is division 2 just like uno and unk. not naia like hastings,doane,etc.

If you knew what you were talking about you would know wayne is division 2 just like uno and unk. not naia like hastings,doane,etc.

My bad dude. Next time I'll look in my all Nebraska football guide before posting. Sorry I don't follow all the small schools in the state. Still a step down if he gets it.IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on local radio a few days back that neither Turner or Barney Cotton are not among the two finalist for the NMSU job..... Turner has reportedly stated that he would be interested in the Grambling State job....Hopefully he will land somewhere!

The whole story

Ex-Huskers not on Aggies' 'serious' list

Former Nebraska assistant coaches Turner Gill and Barney Cotton weren't among the coaches New Mexico State president Michael Martin on Friday labeled as "serious candidates" for the school's head coaching position.

Declining to call them "finalists," Martin nonetheless released the names of the three leading candidates to the Las Cruces (N.M.) Sun-News: Kent Baer, defensive coordinator at Notre Dame; Hal Mumme, head coach at Southeastern Louisiana and former head coach at Kentucky; and Les Koenning, offensive coordinator at Texas A&M.

Martin left open the possibility of another candidate emerging.

Gill, 42, resigned from his position as Nebraska receivers coach earlier this month, saying he wanted to pursue head coaching opportunities full time. He interviewed for the New Mexico State job last weekend in Phoenix.

A former All-Big Eight quarterback at Nebraska, Gill has emerged in speculation regarding the head coaching vacancy at NCAA Division I-AA Grambling State.

Cotton, who was Nebraska's offensive coordinator in 2003 and who now holds the same position at Iowa State, also interviewed for the New Mexico State job last weekend.

Cotton was offensive coordinator under former Husker Tony Samuel, who was fired as the Aggies' head coach after the 2004 season.

— Steven M. Sipple