Just got back from Boulder and....

hskrdedhed

In college football, you basically have two types of fan bases - those who view college football as a sport, and those who view college football as a religion.

Generally speaking, you'll find that the "sport" crowd is less knowledgeable about players, history, and records. They very well might not know how their opponent has played throughout the season, and they're far less likely to know the names of the opposing team's coaches, let alone their offensive/defensive tendencies and strengths. They're unlikely to travel en masse to bowl games, and they're probably going to stop attending games if their team starts out 0-3. They enjoy football as entertainment with benefits; obviously they solicit a far greater pleasure from winning than they would from watching a sitcom, but for the most part they just go to games to have fun, get drunk with their friends, and yell. They don't always handle losing well at the moment it happens, but they get over losses very quickly due to the fact that their emotional involvement to their team in no way resembles the emotional involvement they have with their families.

The downside of this crowd is that, since they view football as little more than a source of entertainment, they don't have a built in "respect for the game". They talk a lot of trash, they don't worry about whether or not they can remember the first quarter, they throw stuff sometimes, and they're relatively likely to get in heated verbal (some of which become physical) spats with opposing fans. They do unfortunate things often, but their unfortunate actions are generally petty offenses. This is CU.

The "religion" crowd is the exact opposite of the sport crowd. They know their facts, stats, and schemes. They will attend every game regardless of the circumstances, and will travel to bowl games regardless of the distance. To them, football is an integral part of their lives. Going to a big time game is likely something they'll tell their grandchildren about 30 years later... it's a spiritual experience. They will likely handle losing with some measure of grace, but they'll think about it for weeks or months after the game is over. They don't talk much trash, they usually don't throw things, and they're only likely to get in a fight if they feel someone is disrespecting their team or the game in some way.

The downside of this crew is that they're far too dependent on their teams for ego gratification. They take losses personally, and can grieve over them more than they would if they lost a family member. They rarely do the sort of petty things that the "sport" crowd does, but they will occasionally do things that the sport crowd would never do. Bizarre, cultish things... like castrating an opposing fan, or threatening the lives of their coaches or players. In short, they rarely do bad things, but when they do, they're REALLY bad things. This is Nebraska.

Obviously, there are CU fans that fall into the religion group, and there are Nebraska fans that fall into the sport group, but most CU fans are casual, and most NU fans are beyond devoted. Personally, I don't think one is at all right nor do I feel that one is at all wrong. They're just different.

There are good fans and bad fans everywhere. Students are generally obnoxious everywhere, and Nebraska and Colorado are not exceptions.

What I have found is: the attitude you give often determines the reception you get. Don't want to sit on the snow? Clean it off, don't stand in someone's way who paid just as much as you have. Around fans from the other team? Get to know them a little. It's much harder to be rude to someone when youy've had a pleasant conversation with them.

Am I naive? No, I've just been to a lot of college football games all over the country for the last 40 years.

Another nice touch to the afternoon was foul mouthed female CU students. Another reason why Nebraska girls are better than CU girls.

What's the first reason? Those trademark Nebraska cankles? Child bearing hips? Flapjack boobies? Waist length hair? Asses shaped like manhole covers?

This is hard, there's so many awesome qualities to choose from! :thumbs

This certainly doesn't surprise me. What else would you expect from the residents of Boulder? It is the same thing every year it is just not NU fans that notice it. That cesspool of a city is made up of a population of classless jerks, liberals and drug addicts (hard to tell them apart though). Actually, I surprised you found two CU fans to back you up. Apparently, you found the only two people in the entire state that have any integrity. At least they didn't have to stop the game this year to throw out about 1/4 crowd like they did 2 years ago when it was remarked on national TV this was one of the most embarrassing events in the history college athletics.

Whoa now don't lump all us liberals with the idiots in Boulder.

CU fans suck....they don't stand up and take the stand that sportsmanship is right....they just keep allowing this kind of thing to go on.

Real lack of class...learn to be a good sport, then maybe you will learn how to win. 6-6 isn't anything to brag about.

I would like to speak on this subject from both sides.

I was raised on CU football and went throught many, many losing years. I witnessed them first hand and have seen more Husker beatings than I care to remember. My parents knew a place we could park for free way back when, but we had to walk through the Harvest House to get to the stadium. This was in the 70's, and Big Red fans took over that hotel and would "hold court" throughout the hotel grounds. As we would walk through, they would laugh and make rude comments about how much we sucked and how much we would lose by. The OU fans would also make their pilgramige each year, but seemed more interested in having fun than insulting us. This is not hearsay, but true experience. Because of this, there is no team I like less than NU.

However, having said that, there is nothing that disgusts me more than our own "student fans" at CU. It doesn't seem to change over the years, they are horrible. We have witnessed them throwing snowballs, using horribly bad language, and displayong bad behavior. When they threw snow balls 15 years ago, fortunately CU fans were quick to point out the offenders and they were thrown out. I can't stand them. The fact is, a huge majority of them are not football fans at all, they go to get wasted (it is actually worse after the beer ban, they sneak in the hard stuff) and "hang out" until they bored.

It is the Boulder "culture", and how rediculous it is to group all of Colorado with them. We are a state much like yours, and we are very insulted when someone sterotypes us with the "Mountain Berkeley". Most of those "kids" are not from Colorado, so don't conclude that we raise such swine.

My husband and I often complain that the alumni fans should just get together and walk over to the student section and "en masse" kick their butts. I hope that Hawkins will continue to call for class, but without a big butt kicking, I am not sure that can happen.

Good Luck with your next coach, I am sure that you guys will do the smart thing this time and pick someone that appreciates your tradition of walk-ons, home-breds, character, and running the fooball!!!

There are bad fans everywhere and some of our fans have not behaved in a respectable manner in these trying times , but to ever compare the bahavior of CU fans to NU fans is comical. As far as i know the Husker student section has never been ejected from a game and nobody in Lincoln has been hit with a D battery or a urine filled water balloon.

i hate to break it to you... but i've watched it.. this year.. happen.. in section 12... so um... :| pretty sure thats our student section and pretty sure i saw a student removed by cops...

not to say that colorado fans arent bad.. but students of course are going to be drunk.. a game that they get up for like no other.. its like the nebraska frat students cheering and yelling obscenities the 1st time that a USC player was hurt during that game this year.. they're drunk, it happens...