What are you listening to right now?

• 5 months later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

How timely. All of the leaves on my ash tree have fallen in the last 3 days. I said all. Don’t recall a time when it hasn’t taken up to 1-2 weeks to drop them all before. Got a pile to pick up.

Same here. They were really nice looking for about 10 days lol

The one in our front yard was completely golden - we had people stopping in the street to take pictures (weirdos)

• Plus1 1

Ok young ones....honest question.  I love good guitarists.

Prince was amazing and, I honestly think, underappreciated while he was alive.

What young musicians can do this?  I hear the music my kids listen to and I don't hear or see musicians being able to do live music like this.  I'm sure they are out there and I just don't know them.  So....who?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What young musicians can do this?  I hear the music my kids listen to and I don't hear or see musicians being able to do live music like this.  I'm sure they are out there and I just don't know them.  So....who?

Not sure he's 'young' anymore, but Jack White on the strings is pretty effin amazing.

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't really know anything about today's music or what the kids are listening to, so I won't have a specific answer to your question. But I do have a long-winded theory.

I think it is worth noting in Prince's case that he was an amazing musician on the guitar and an extremely prolific songwriter. However, he mostly made pop music that did not necessarily display the kind of skill he that he showed off in this video. I love classic rock and love great guitar work, but I don't really like most of Prince's catalog. 

There are other musical geniuses that don't necessarily play the kind of stuff that appeals to us. For example, Flavor Flav of Public Enemy (the doofus with the clock around his neck). I heard that he is a musical virtuoso who plays like 15 different instruments. But he made rap music and wasn't even the best rapper in his group. A casual listen of Public Enemy would give you no idea that Flav has such a broad range of musical skill. 

So my theory is that there are probably still a lot of very talented musicians out there making music, but no one really shreds on the guitar anymore, and rock and roll is essentially dead. Those of us who love what we heard in this video are not going to find it in today's music. There is a new generation of musical geniuses out there making other types of music that us old-timers aren't going to be interest in.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Short answer: yeah there are probably a lot of guitarists that could do what he does in the video. I don't know that they will look as cool though lol

What do you kids listen to? I'm guessing more pop-like music where there isn't a lot of instrumental work?

I'm glad you posed the question though cuz I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube

Some of the stuff these guys are doing is pretty wild. Probably not what you're looking for BRB, but I though it was pretty cool

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1