The ESPN Bo Pelini Rumor

Here's where this rumor is coming from. ESPN, like most everyone else in America, thinks it's going to be Bo Pelini. Many signs point that way and there are no other conflicting reports right now, so that's the story.

Now, the most logical time for the announcement of the new Nebraska coach is Saturday after the SEC title game, Saturday after the Army/Navy game, or Monday after the weekend is over and NFL coverage isn't dominating TV. So it stands to reason that an announcement is going to be made within the next 3 1/2 days.

Since all signs seem to point to Pelini, ESPN can declare a scoop if they begin reporting that a "source" has given them inside info before anyone else reports it. It does the same thing for them that the rumormongers here were trying to do - get bragging rights. That's why the rumor comes out today.

If I had to bet money I'd bet they have NO source whatsoever. They don't have an Insider in the NU Athletic department, and even if they had one at LSU it's not likely they would know unless it's someone high enough up their chain that they stand to lose something for divulging this kind of stuff. If the decision has been made my guess would be that only Pelini and Miles and their AD know at this point.

So to me, knowing a bit about what happens in newsrooms, I'm not giving this story too much weight right now. Just like here at Rumorville - without citing a source, it's just a rumor.

So I would caution most everyone not to get too terribly excited about this right now. We still don't know more than we did yesterday - we still just have a rumor.

Here's where this rumor is coming from. ESPN, like most everyone else in America, thinks it's going to be Bo Pelini. Many signs point that way and there are no other conflicting reports right now, so that's the story.

Now, the most logical time for the announcement of the new Nebraska coach is Saturday after the SEC title game, Saturday after the Army/Navy game, or Monday after the weekend is over and NFL coverage isn't dominating TV. So it stands to reason that an announcement is going to be made within the next 3 1/2 days.

Since all signs seem to point to Pelini, ESPN can declare a scoop if they begin reporting that a "source" has given them inside info before anyone else reports it. It does the same thing for them that the rumormongers here were trying to do - get bragging rights. That's why the rumor comes out today.

If I had to bet money I'd bet they have NO source whatsoever. They don't have an Insider in the NU Athletic department, and even if they had one at LSU it's not likely they would know unless it's someone high enough up their chain that they stand to lose something for divulging this kind of stuff. If the decision has been made my guess would be that only Pelini and Miles and their AD know at this point.

So to me, knowing a bit about what happens in newsrooms, I'm not giving this story too much weight right now. Just like here at Rumorville - without citing a source, it's just a rumor.

So I would caution most everyone not to get too terribly excited about this right now. We still don't know more than we did yesterday - we still just have a rumor.

That's exactly right! This is the same network that said Tuberville was going to Arkansas!! Sorry! I don't trust ANYTHING coming from them. In fact, I think they should be renamed BSPN!!

So your saying that ESPN bluffing and hoping the cards fall their way. It's not like anyone other then Nebraska fans would get upset with them if their wrong. Most Nebraska fans think they stink already so whats to lose.

No way in hell. ESPN is annoying, I'll give you that. But even ESPN wouldn't stick their neck out there like that and report such a big breaking story without multiple sources. That's completely absurd. If that were true, I guarantee you that anyone that had anything to do with reporting the story or giving the story the "okay" to be posted would get fired.

Remember a guy named Cassidy who was in the AD's office but is now going to A&M?? He's probably spilling his guts as I type this.

I assume you're being sarcastic because everything I hear about Cassidy is that he's a very stand-up guy. It doesn't sound like him at all.

That being said, I'm pissed that this story leaked. TO wanted it to stay under wraps until the press conference for a reason. This story leaking hurts other people, namely the LSU players. The leaks should indeed be fired.

Am I misreading something? There is nothing in the updated article that gives it any credibility or facts. No sources. As far as I'm concerned, it's a rumor.

ESPN Pelini to NU

Barring any last-minute snags, LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini will be introduced as the new head coach at Nebraska early next week, multiple sources confirmed Friday.

Pelini will coach the Tigers defense Saturday in the SEC championship game against Tennessee and, according to a source close to the situation, will be in Lincoln for an announcement Monday.

When reached by The Associated Press, Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne refused to comment on the situation.

"I have no comment one way or the other," said Osborne.

Pelini and Buffalo coach Turner Gill were believed to be Tom Osborne's final two choices to replace fired Bill Callahan. Both have Nebraska ties -- Gill as a former player under Osborne and coach under Frank Solich, and Pelini as a former defensice coordinator under Solich.

The move further complicates LSU's postseason. Head coach Les Miles is expected to meet with Michigan Wolverines early next week about its head-coaching vacancy. LSU is making an effort to keep Miles, but he's a Michigan alum who has often voiced his affection for the Wolverines program.

If they dont have a source I'll laugh my a$$ off if TO hires Gill...

If they dont have a source I'll laugh my a$$ off if TO hires Gill...

Don't limit your options - laugh if it's Johnson, or any other coach...