Damn contradictions

I took this directly from the Washington Redskins website and is the dialogue from Spurriers "official" resignation. We all probably could expect contradictions, but its nice to catch them. Here is an example. Just an hour or so before he said he had not resigned now he does.

Spurrier: 'It's Time For Me To Move On'

12/30/2003

The following is an official statement by Steve Spurrier, released by the Washington Redskins on Tuesday afternoon:

STATEMENT FROM STEVE SPURRIER

“I am announcing my resignation as head coach of the Washington Redskins effective today, December 30, 2003.

"I thank Dan Snyder for the opportunity to coach this team for the past two years and I apologize to Redskins fans that we did not achieve a level of success that we had all hoped.

"This is a very demanding job. It’s a long grind and I feel that after 20 years as a head coach, there are other things that I need to do. I appreciate all the support, especially from former Redskins players in the area and again, I wish we would have come closer to the success those players enjoyed under coach Joe Gibbs.

"There are many outstanding players on the Redskins team and I wish them all the best. I’ll always be pulling for the Redskins. I simply believe that this is the right time for me to move on, because this team needs new leadership.

"Hiring a new head coach will allow [Mr. Snyder] to hire a new coaching staff and hopefully point the Redskins in the right direction.

"I’ve enjoyed my time in Washington. Obviously, all of the losing can wear you down, but I believe that the franchise is headed in the right direction. Again, I’ll always be pulling for the Washington Redskins.”

Lets just say he does come to NU, he'll probably gut the entire staff. He did it at Florida and Washington.

eric "the red"

Cant believe any of the stuff that the media hears. see bill parcells how many times say he isnt coming back etc etc.

I will say up front that I am NOT a spurrier fan. BUT i will admit i am a bit intrigued by the thought of what he could do for NU. I will say that SS would bring a new interest and huge national spotlight back to lincoln, which is never a bad thing. yes we would lose some fans, but we would also gain some, including a different breed of recruits. not sure if this is good or bad yet though. he needs some polishing, but i will admit that if he were to be "the one", after one 11-1 season his antics would change from "tantrums" to "colorful and passionate".

my gut feeling. this seems right up pedersons alley. seems to be a character fit w/ similiar qualities to his.

The timing w/ his "resignation" is curious. why did he wait until the day after the NU game to announce this? and why didnt he just let himself get fired, which would have saved him millions. I know it could have been a pride thing, but this could have been a ploy to make the move look legit, getting let go is the ultimate excuse to jump ship and start over, and doesnt make you look like a quitter - rather the owner would look impatient. I think this was a chess match b/t spurrier and snyder. snyder knew spur had ulterior motives and wishes, and knew he could bluff as if he wanted him back and pull spurs hand, and come out smelling somewhat less crappy than a fire happy owner of a 4 & terrible team.

it does look as if the chips are all falling into place. spur will probably give it a week to make it look as if he wasnt in contact w/ perderson over the past couple, which would validate his story to the media that he hadnt been contacted. b/c yes knowing his personality, no way this freak could sit out an entire year doing nothing, and it sounds as if it aint football, it is "nothing" in his world.

I think you just have to overlook all the nuances and take a logical perspective. pederson would never pass on an opp to bring in a seemingly "fail safe" solution in spurrier (b/c after all his job is on the line too, so all he cares about is redeeming himself), and a guy with the competitive spirit and ego of a spurrier would never pass on an opp to take a fledgling team with all the money and tradition of NU, and restore it to glory, which would bring the "old gloryhound" exactly what he needs to survive.

so yes a mutually fulfilling relationship may be inevitable, I admit it!! :o