Mutiny in Huskerland

The more I think about it, the more it is obvious that in 03 Pelini threw everything including the kitchen sink at opposing teams just to get pressure. Add that plus DeMorrio and Hollowell. And yea, the team had sucess. The D line was good enough to make mismatches on most O-lines...MAKING nice holes to blitz through...with the right personel, you can set the blitz up, instead of HAVING to blitz to get pressure.

This year we actually blitzed more, from what I have read. However, when the lanes aren't open and blitzes are easily picked up, you are screwed. There has to be an alley to blitz threw or the point is moot. Busch said they blitz more this year than any other year in his career. I think McBride was right when he said blitzing isn't a cure all. Defense is a more complicated game than most fans know.

We also didn't hide our blitzes well. We did last year. Was there anything more sick than watching that 1st play from scrimmage in the Texas Tech game, where we put 3 down linemen in there? I wanted to throw a brick at the TV right there. But even in that game, we blitzed every now and then effectively, but Cumbie took advantage of our slow LB's and corners that didn't man up effectively. When he picked up the blitz, we were dead. I really hope the players coming in are the fix-all, or else I would like to see Coz get the same adios as Frank.

We also didn't hide our blitzes well. We did last year. Was there anything more sick than watching that 1st play from scrimmage in the Texas Tech game, where we put 3 down linemen in there? I wanted to throw a brick at the TV right there. But even in that game, we blitzed every now and then effectively, but Cumbie took advantage of our slow LB's and corners that didn't man up effectively. When he picked up the blitz, we were dead. I really hope the players coming in are the fix-all, or else I would like to see Coz get the same adios as Frank.

I expect some improvement, but really the only guys I expect to come in and contribute right away are the juco recruits.

It is rare for Frank Solich to say anything controversial, even with a brand-new job locked up and a time zone of distance from his former employer.

But Solich obviously didn't take well to comments this season that Nebraska struggled because of a lack of talent.

"Well, then I maybe put together the greatest staff in the history of college football," the former NU coach said Thursday, shortly after he took the Ohio job. "Because they did a great job with a lot of those kids returning (in 2004).

"I think the people who say that either don't understand football or they're saying it for an individual reason."

Do you seriously think Solich is going to admit that the talent level dropped under his watch while he is at a press conference for his new job? Didn't think so.

Another one????

Brundgardt leaving

Something is just not right here y'all...I think even the most staunch Calahan supporter has to look at this as a sign of some serious troubles with managing the team.

I think this brings the total up to 8 or 9 players? That they all cite the coaching as the cause is reason for concern.

IRISH!

This is somewhat alarming.... I am not an stong BC supporter, but remember that when Coach Solich cleaned house (Darlington, Young,etc), no fewer than 8 players left the team...and it wasn't that big of news. Players leave universities all of the time and most are unhappy when they do..... It goes with the territory...Some of these guys are local guys who just aren't athletic enough to play in the new systems.

It would be interesting to know about players (if any) that quit when Stoops became head coach at Oklahoma. Yes, it makes me wonder some, but it also seems to be quite a contrast to recruiting and what other players have been saying. Maybe we are losing only those that can't compete.

I agree with you on this one. Come on it's not like Ross or the Bullocks are leaving. These guys are special team players at best.(aside from Pilkington) This kid is mad because he played in every game last year and only five this year. Transfer to Wayne State and move on.

Callahan is one issue - you can discount Pilkington, et al, as sour grapes or what have you. But keep in mind, Charles Wooden and Tim Brown were saying the *exact* same things in Oakland. Although, they were summarily ignored- that's just normal Raider back office crap, right? Stories of players having to be restrained from going after BC were exaggerated, etc. Guess that happens when you play on the "dumbest team in America".

But compounded with more recent accounts, the credibility of their claims starts to firm up a bit. And I'm still not convinced we know the whole story on why Gill left.

The only benefit of the doubt BC gets in my mind is that I don't know him personally and no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors in Lincoln, so it's hard to say with certainty what's happening. I'll stand my ground as a betweener until at least midway through next season, though if performance doesn't improve (regardless of wins or losses, they need to at least be competitive), or the defections continue, then I would have to say BC was a bum deal full of more hype than substance.

The saddest thing about this, I think, has been the response by some to this thread - and I'm hoping it's the minority. I almost can't believe what I'm reading here at times.

These players don't matter because they won't see playing time? Doesn't that suggest that, perhaps, NU has turned from a tradition rich school with a desire to win to the archetype of the "Football Factory"? If a player can't produce in the Wine & Cheese Offense or BC doesn't have a spot for them - either because he didn't recruit them or he's not skilled enough as a coach to use the personnel he has - the player is now expendable?

What exactly constitutes the team anyway? The players that will dedicate 4 or 5 of the most important years of their lives to a school or coaches who will pull a Two-Faced Petrino or a Rick Neuweasel in a heartbeat? I doubt Callahan is the stick-to-it type - this isn't a Joe Pa in the making. Once the heat goes up a bit in Lincoln, I would wager a few heavy coins he's hitting the job search trail.

Of all the things that makes Husker football special, the first things that pops into my mind is family. Brothers and sons playing on the team over the years - that really makes it special. The continuity of coaching has been incredible until Callahan came and that's the thing that's led to the team's long-standing success, I believe. Remember, there's a learning curve for coaches as well as players.

If he wins with class, I'll be happy to say I'm wrong - but don't be an Uber-homer and think that everything's hunky-dorey in Huskerland, because it's not.

IRISH!

The saddest thing about this, I think, has been the response by some to this thread - and I'm hoping it's the minority. I almost can't believe what I'm reading here at times.

Sorry I'm not gonna change my stance on this one. I will repeat I don't care if some third string guy who barely plays leaves. Not gonna lose any sleep ofver any of these guys. The way I look at it if you don't want to be here then don't let the door hit you on the backside.

Players leaving the program is nothing new. Players would leave under Osborne, under Devaney, Solich, etc. And if you think for a second that this doesn't happen at every top football school then you are wrong. The only difference now is that there a lot more critics than there were before, and people are willing to listen to 3rd and 4th string players taking parting shots. Newcombe left and said Crouch didn't throw to him enough and that Solich didn't totally utilize his potential. Curt Dukes left because he said the weight program was a joke. Quite honestly, I would be quicker to listen to Dukes before Birkel or Brungardt leaving. Dukes said there were problems with the conditioning program, these kids are bitching because they don't see the field because they can't cut the mustard. Dukes wanted to be challenged to become better, these kids are pissed off because they are finding out that they weren't all that good.

Many good points to this post. I am not sold on BC yet. On the other hand, the whole argument on "family" doesn't fly. Peterson cut the "family" ties last year and we are stuck with that regardless of wether we like it or not...We will never get that back.... Moving forward, I am concernd that players are leaving with a sour taste, but that's life. Believe me, I am a football coach (which makes me an expert. HA), but whenever a kid doesn't agree with playing time, it is NEVER the athletes fault.....it is not that he is not fast enough, strong enough, or tough enough, it is ALWAYS the fact that the coach doesn't like the athlete or the coach doesn't know what is going on.....It happens at all levels....and as far as the Brungardt's remarks that football isn't fun anymore here.....DUH...if your not playing, and the coach isn't kissing your butt, it wouldn't be fun.

Newearth - I wouldn't call a team captain and the leading receiver a 3rd stringer.

As for the others, it's one thing when you have some primadonna or a rage monster (vis Incognito - scary guy, that) and you let them go - but I wouldn't call Sophmore and Freshman players 3rd stringers inplying they weren't any good. All players know you have to prove yourself and develop and that means warming some wood waiting for your time. That these kids felt the need to leave speaks of a very different picture, I think than just lack of playing time.

If these were Juniors and Seniors or walk-ons, I could probably agree with you - (not to mention were they upperclassmen they would have been more indoctrinated into the BD/TO/FS school of coaching so the change would have been more drastic for them). And I'm sure separating walk-on and schollied players for warmups does wonders for team unity and might breed some resentment.

But these were all young players and all, I believe, were on scholarship.

DJR - I know, players leaving happens - but it's not all that common really (losing that year can hurt the career, you know). You may be right in that these guys are more vocal than the norm - but I say again: this seems to be indicative of Callahan's way of doing things.

Dukes and Newcombe left for various reasons - but they were isolated instances. Had they both left the same year and both blamed the way the staff handled the players, would you still hold onto those examples?

Hell, even Crouch took a little trip back home at one point - and might I remind you the true measure of that little jaunt was Solich's visit to bring him back.

Were that Callahan, he would have let a Heisman winner leave because he just didn't care.

He trashed the Raiders. Pretty much didn't care about last season and let the team fall flat on its collective butt. And has made a number of public comments in his career that would lead one to think that he has a complete lack of common sense (even though cussin' out OU fans gets a secret thumbs up, that wasn't a real classy thing to do on balance).

Now, like I said, this is just my impression - and I think it's a very real concern. But, if next year turns out good, hey...I'll eat all the crow you can feed me. I'll even change my sig from my beloved "IRISH!" to "I WAS WRONG!" if you want and you y'all can rib me the entire season all the way to the Big-12 title game when we hang 50 on OU in a rout.

But if I were writing this story right now with my current attitude towards the staff - Callahan trashes the program with his hubris and inappropriate offensive scheme, while in the wings Turner Gill gets some HC experience somewhere and has insane success then comes back home, Charlie Weis-style to save the day.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong, then.

IRISH!