Mutiny in Huskerland

...whenever a kid doesn't agree with playing time, it is NEVER the athletes fault.....it is not that he is not fast enough, strong enough, or tough enough, it is ALWAYS the fact that the coach doesn't like the athlete or the coach doesn't know what is going on.

Errr...you're being facetious, right? ;)

I can sort of see that being a possibility - if the player can't make the grade at all, cut him from the team rather than sit him and make room for someone who can. A bit harder to do with scholarships in place, but then you have to rely on your scouting and recruiting, I guess.

IRISH!

I have never even heard of this kid. No skin off my back. He says there is a lot of frustration? I am sure there is when you realize that you might not get to play where you thought. Tough luck. That's life. No fun anymore? What, do you expect rooms full of balls like at Chucky Cheese's? Sorry, some people take what they do seriously and if they have a head on their shoulders, they have some fun with it as well.

Again, I think this isn't that uncommon when you change coaching staffs. Players have to make a decision whether they want to play here after the changes that have gone on. If they don't, great, see ya later. If they do, great. But what gets me is that some of these kids insist that the coaching staff sit there and hold their hand. BS. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I was sorry to see Pilkington leave, but he obviously made a choice to put the rest of his life in front of football. Why risk more injury when you a) probably aren't going to be playing football for a living and B) have the rest of your life in front of you?

I read somewhere that Urban Meyer lost upwards of 20 players to transfer when he took over at Utah. I only bring that up as a comparison and the fact that some people think he should be our coach. We're dealing with

Until guys like Ross, etc start leaving and saying harsh things, whatever. Let the media eat it up.

Okay so you are a moderator. That's makes you an *** kisser. The moderators tell us oh there's a support pederson webite. ***** you people. If you want to have a ****** **** and keep us from having any opinions then kick everybody off this board and kiss each others ***.

Obviously since the word "husker" is attached to this board you are under their control. Everytime someone leaves this team it's the same old crap "I never heard of this guy". You make it sound like everything is great. Take off your scarlet and cream glasses and stop making excuses. Steve Pederson spent and Callahan are not going to lead you anywhere. And if, and that 's a big if you are real fans you would question what the hell is going on in Lincoln. Stop making excuses for these morons.

roadrat has been suspended for attacking another member - NOT for having a different opinion than a Mod or The Program. We are one of the most open and uncensored boards online, allowing both sides to be expressed very liberally. If anyone feels otherwise, we are always open for feedback in the designated forum. We have NEVER said you can not have an opinion, only that you can not attack someone elses - regardless of their position. This will NOT be tolerated, bottom line.

And for what it's worth - we have actually never banned anyone before roadrat, so his claim is groundless.

Hell, even Crouch took a little trip back home at one point - and might I remind you the true measure of that little jaunt was Solich's visit to bring him back.

Were that Callahan, he would have let a Heisman winner leave because he just didn't care.

someone will have to help me out here but I cant remember the linemens name that wanted to leave he was from big 11 country. But Callahan went and talked to his parents about staying. So I wouldnt quite say the Callahan does not care. It seems like fans from other schools are the ones that are so worried about what Callahan does.

someone will have to help me out here but I cant remember the linemens name that wanted to leave he was from big 11 country. But Callahan went and talked to his parents about staying. So I wouldnt quite say the Callahan does not care. It seems like fans from other schools are the ones that are so worried about what Callahan does.

Happy New Year KC husker... That player you are asking aobut is Chris Patrick and I believe he is from Michigan... He was leaving the team, but BC talked him and his parents into the kid staying in Lincoln. It has been reported that Patrick's parents saying that BC has been "very good" to Chris... I think that BC does care a little bit, either that or this kid is a stud and BC is kissing some butt so he will stay :cheers

Okay so you are a moderator. That's makes you an *** kisser. The moderators tell us oh there's a support pederson webite. ***** you people. If you want to have a ****** **** and keep us from having any opinions then kick everybody off this board and  kiss each others ***.

Obviously since the word "husker" is attached to this board you are under their control.  Everytime someone leaves this team it's the same old crap "I never heard of this guy".  You make it sound like everything is great. Take off your scarlet and cream glasses and stop making excuses.  Steve Pederson spent and Callahan are not going to lead you anywhere. And if, and that 's a big if you are real fans you would question what the hell is going on in Lincoln. Stop making excuses for these morons.

I feel I need to respond to the ridiculous nonsense as it was directed, most obviously, towards me.

Everyone here will agree that no one has tried to prohibit anyone from expressing their opinion on this board. You are free to give your perspective at any time about any topic, as long as you aren't juvenile about it (i.e. follow the board rules).

That being said, it seems that some people get their panties in a bunch when someone challenges their opinion on something. Well, that's what the board is for. If you want to express your opinion without possibly having someone call you out on it, you might find a different board. Otherwise, post up! Please!

I am also sick and tired of the idea "well if you don't have anything bad to say about [insert a coach or AD here] then you must be kissing their ass". I wish I didn't have to explain this, but apparently I do. NOT DISAGREEING WITH SAID PERSON DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE A KISS ASS. Some people apparently think it's impossible to look at what is published and form their own opinion and actually have it agree with one side or the other. Again, I think the majority of the level headed people around here know what I am talking about.

In conclusion, I felt I needed to say something in light of this non-sense in case that someone actually takes what was posted as fact. Because, well it isn't.

GO HUSKERS.

Happy New Year KC husker... That player you are asking aobut is Chris Patrick and I believe he is from Michigan... He was leaving the team' date=' but BC talked him and his parents into the kid staying in Lincoln. It has been reported that Patrick's parents saying that BC has been "very good" to Chris... I think that BC does care a little bit, either that or this kid is a stud and BC is kissing some butt so he will stay :cheers [/quote']

Happy New Year to you HANC. Thanks for the kids name i could have researced it myself but being it was Jan 1 2005 my head was hurting a little bit. By the way never seen HANC spelled that way before or does it stand for something?

(Finished business like hell were just getting started) :wasted

Dukes and Newcombe left for various reasons - but they were isolated instances. Had they both left the same year and both blamed the way the staff handled the players, would you still hold onto those examples?

Hell, even Crouch took a little trip back home at one point - and might I remind you the true measure of that little jaunt was Solich's visit to bring him back.

Were that Callahan, he would have let a Heisman winner leave because he just didn't care.

He trashed the Raiders. Pretty much didn't care about last season and let the team fall flat on its collective butt. And has made a number of public comments in his career that would lead one to think that he has a complete lack of common sense (even though cussin' out OU fans gets a secret thumbs up, that wasn't a real classy thing to do on balance).

Now, like I said, this is just my impression - and I think it's a very real concern. But, if next year turns out good, hey...I'll eat all the crow you can feed me. I'll even change my sig from my beloved "IRISH!" to "I WAS WRONG!" if you want and you y'all can rib me the entire season all the way to the Big-12 title game when we hang 50 on OU in a rout.

But if I were writing this story right now with my current attitude towards the staff - Callahan trashes the program with his hubris and inappropriate offensive scheme, while in the wings Turner Gill gets some HC experience somewhere and has insane success then comes back home, Charlie Weis-style to save the day.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong, then.

IRISH!

Points well taken Irish. BUT, as kramer posted in the coaches corner forum a couple weeks ago:

This past week, Chris Patrik announced he will not be looking to transfer and will be staying with the Husker.

He was actually called a good person. His mother says "Coach Callahan has been very good to Chris". Hmm.. I wonder how that could be possible. I thought he was a "win-at-all-costs" coach who didn't care about people.

I disagree with you on that. I understand that Callahan is being construed as a monster who doesn't care about anyone, and right now anyone with a newspaper column and a tape recorder is eating it up because it sells papers. I think it is a little bit disturbing that there is a lot of negative being said about him, but these are guys who are bitter and leaving the program who aren't having fun, aren't getting a fair shot at the field blah blah blah. If they were so damn good, don't you think Callahan would have put them out there since it was obvious that this Husker team was lacking in many areas. Or is it maybe that these guys have false perceptions of themselves and didn't feel they should have to work much harder to get on the field and prove they belonged there. You will find these people all throughout life, right now people just happen to be listening to them as they spout off their bitter parting shots towards Callahan and NU football.

As far as Callahan ruining the Raiders, I think that is false as well. Al Davis has run that establishment into the ground and somehow still finds people to work for him. Mike Shannahan had problems there, Norv Turner is having problems right now. There have always been personnel problems there, moreso than on other pro teams.

As far as you changing your sig and admitting you are wrong, that's cool man. I will admit I am wrong too if Callahan tanks Nebraska. It just doesn't add up that guys like Ross and Bradley are standing up for Callahan and a TON of recruits say they like what is being done here and yet you have guys like Brundgardt and Birkel publicly blasting Callahan. I think that this next year will show what Callahan is all about and if this program is going to bounce back with him at the healm.

I would like to find a list of players that have left the Husker program by year. Offhand I can think of several that have left for varying reasons, but I am sure that there are plenty of others that have left that I haven't heard of like the kids who are making headlines this year because it is selling newspapers. If anyone could find out that info that would be great and perhaps help put things in perspective.

Agree with you DJR313. Next year will be a measuring stick to see the direction bC is taking this program...Don't expect much improvement, but we definately need to see PROGRESS. We didn't see that this year. Look to see BC play many young kids (his own recruits). He showed this year that he wanted 'his guys' to play, even if they weren't ready... If no progress is shown, it will be time to worry.

Response to KC husker: Huskers Are National Champs

A little fanclub started on campus in early '90s...

Bring back the glory baby! :horns2

You really don't think he tanked with the Raiders?

Gruden took them to the playoffs 2 years in a row (the first since 1992) and only lost to the Patriots in overtime (on the road, no less) to miss the Super Bowl.

Then, in steps Callahan. This is a guy who went to the Super Bowl the next year with Gruden's system and got beat like a redheaded stepchild by that very same Gruden - then fell to 4-12 the next year when he tried to use his own system - the worst fall for a Super Bowl team in NFL history. Was publically criticized, not by the typical loudmouths, the Sharpes and Sapps of the world, but Wooden, Brown and...Gannon??? Normally low-key guys.

Please understand my perspective here - after suffering through the Willingham era where a high-minded coach comes in with a questionable coaching record and a desire to install the spiffy-sexy Wine & Cheese Offense (which causes a collective jaw drop since we all envision Montana marching up and down the field and think 'Wowzers! That's gonna be soooo cooool!") and then subsequently makes a mess on the football feld, things in Lincoln are taking on a familiar unplesant tinge.

Seeing NU's first losing season since the leather helmet days and horrfic losses as well as a complete lack of competitiveness - I would hate to think of NU suffering the same fate as ND. At least when ND looked shoddy I could point to NU to defend midwest football here in Pac-10 country. ;)

Did I expect too much from BC in his first year? Maybe...expectations for coaches are crazy these days. Am I giving him the benefit of the doubt since he had to deal with Al Davis in Oakland for his seemingly shoddy personality? Yeah...I am, for the time being at least - although that he's had a track record for bad PR moves is undeniable to even the most staunch supporter.

I would rather see the "wait and see" approach than a complete buy-in by the Husker Nation here. Already the same things are being said..."It takes more than 2 years to install the WCO"..."He needs to recrut *his* kind of players", etc. These will, I fear, move quickly into excuses from explanations.

Past experiences tell me it's a setup for a fall - but I'm hoping things will be different this time. I agree with both DJR and HANC that next year is the measuring stick - but I'm keeping my hopes to a minimum here.

One other item of note conerning the desertions - these kids are leaving *after* BC's first season - not after Solich's last. I don't think that's a normal approach for coaching change losses, do you?

The comments made by the departing players suggests to me BC is having a hard time readjusting to the maturity level of the college player, and that's just something a coach has to do.

Does that mean pander to the primadonna or slacker? Hell no! I've sat kids and had 2 removed from my teams when I coached my daughter's youth soccer club for not caring or bad attitudes, so I can totally understand a coach doing that when necessary - even for 12 year-olds.

And for the record, that was Willingham's problem at ND - his "discipline" was really very soft - of the huggy-feely Left Coast variety. He could get away with it just by virtue of his own personal dignity and his ability to comand respect, but that's not something the average coach should try a home. I would hire Ty in a heartbeat as an inner-city counselor for troubled youth or something, but never as a coach for a major football program - awesome man, sucky coach.

And, in stark contrast, Callahan *might* turn out to not even have Ty's strengths - college coaches don't just have to win football games like in the NFL, they have to win football games *and* teach the kids something along the way.

I've said before that winning cures everything. And I'll grant that the players leaving could be whiners. But I don't care if we go undefeated next season - if the disgruntled player bit continues and it becomes obvious he's disrespecting the players (good or bad), he's got to go.

IRISH!

You really don't think he tanked with the Raiders?

Gruden took them to the playoffs 2 years in a row (the first since 1992) and only lost to the Patriots in overtime (on the road, no less) to miss the Super Bowl.

Then, in steps Callahan. This is a guy who went to the Super Bowl the next year with Gruden's system and got beat like a redheaded stepchild by that very same Gruden - then fell to 4-12 the next year when he tried to use his own system - the worst fall for a Super Bowl team in NFL history. Was publically criticized, not by the typical loudmouths, the Sharpes and Sapps of the world, but Wooden, Brown and...Gannon??? Normally low-key guys.

Why were the 2002 Raiders Gruden's team, and why were the 2003 Raiders Callahan's team? If Gruden was so damn good, he would have won the super bowl with the raiders. The year Gruden left, the Raiders offense exploded and carried them to the Super Bowl. That Super Bowl looked as if Gruden knew what Callahan was going to call. Callahan was his offensive coordinator during those 2 seasons that you mentioned Gruden took the Raiders to the playoffs. He bolted for Tampa because he knew that good defense wins championships and Dungy and Kiffin had set up a great one in Tampa. Gruden hasn't made the playoffs again with the Buccaneers since the SuperBowl. They were a perennial playoff team with Dungy. This begs the question, did Gruden take Dungy's team to the Super Bowl? If you wanna look at things the way that you choose to, put the shoe on the other foot and see how it fits.

Charles Woodson had a beef with Callahan. He seems to be having problems with Norv Turner. So I think the argument that it was Callahan isn't very valid. Al Davis wouldn't sign Woodson to a long term deal because even he sensed that Woodson to be a possible bad egg. Tim Brown was pissed because his role in the offense was being lessened because he isn't a playmaker anymore. I think that this year in Tampa proved that. It's hard to take for some guys, same with Rice, but he at least had the class to not blame someone else for his diminishing skills.

I've said before that winning cures everything. And I'll grant that the players leaving could be whiners. But I don't care if we go undefeated next season - if the disgruntled player bit continues and it becomes obvious he's disrespecting the players (good or bad), he's got to go.

IRISH!

Good points, I don't agree with all, but most.. Winning does cure everything, especially in Lincoln.... Don't you expect some of the disgruntled whining to continue a bit? I expect that we will see a few more 'defectors' after next season too... I believe that a few more of "Frank's recruits" may become frustrated when BC brings in his own players and they see the field much earlier than some of the veterans... If BC's own recruits start defecting, then I totally agree with you, a change will be needed.

From what ive read lately Irish you make some relly good points, but i have to call you on this one. maybe this charlie wooden guy is low key, but the charles woodson Im familiar with is a large mouth arrogant ass. you kno the same guy that just got picked up for being a drunken idiot and harassing women in oakland at 3 am?

and i agree with DJR. if your gonna say it wasnt Callahans team he took to the 'bowl you cant then turn around and say it was grudens who won it. IMO callahan's stint in the NFL as HC was inconclusive. and of course teh jurys still out on him at the college level, and anyone who feels otherwise is being ridiculous, and are the same people that would probly try to say their newborn baby doesnt work right b/c he cant talk or walk. ;)