Ron Brown offically hired

Apparently you're not mature enough to discuss something intelligently without personal insults, so I see no need to respond to your comments. And I'm not your brother, so enough with that act too.

And apparently you're not mature enough to accept another person's faith and their right to express it, as well. So we've figured that one out.

Ah, but I am. I am totally ok with his right to believe in whatever he wants. I am totally ok with him expressing it in the appropriate forum. I think his job with the FCA was perfect for that. I just don't think it is appropriate to use his job as a Nebraska coach to do it. Please do not twist my opinion into something it is not.

That hole you're digging? It's just getting deeper. You should stop before you lose any credibility on this subject whatsoever.

Apparently you're not mature enough to discuss something intelligently without personal insults, so I see no need to respond to your comments. And I'm not your brother, so enough with that act too.

And apparently you're not mature enough to accept another person's faith and their right to express it, as well. So we've figured that one out.

Ah, but I am. I am totally ok with his right to believe in whatever he wants. I am totally ok with him expressing it in the appropriate forum. I think his job with the FCA was perfect for that. I just don't think it is appropriate to use his job as a Nebraska coach to do it. Please do not twist my opinion into something it is not.

in what ways has he not used the appropriate forum?

Have you ever had something affect your life so deeply that you wanted to tell everyone about it. For some (I wish it was all) of us, that faith in God, doesn't allow us to be silent about the love of Jesus Christ. For Ron Brown he believes he is obligated in his life, whether its a football coach or janiotor, whatever to share the love of Jesus Christ. If you don't like it, he'd rather be fired than be quiet about it. Praise God for a man of convictions like that. If you don't like it, don't listen. That's your right as much as it's his right to say it. I for one hope that the convictions and character of this man grace the sidelines of Nebraska until he can no longer physically do it! Thanks coach Pelini for bringing in a man like Ron Brown as a coach at Nebraska!

Using the pulpit provided to you by a government job is not the appropriate forum to be talking about your religious beliefs (or lack thereof).

As far as simply not listening, that is exactly what I do. When Ron Brown is interviewed on tv I just ignore it or turn the channel, because I know half of it is going to be about God. Given that it is a government job, it isn't quite that simple to determine whether it is "right" for him to do it or whether he has the "right" to do it.

I get the feeling that many people are ok with him using a government sponsored position to promote his religious beliefs because they happen to agree with his religious beliefs. I may agree with his beliefs as well, but that doesn't make it right for him to do that. I certainly wouldn't want a coach to use his job to promote his beliefs in radical Islam or Hatian Voodoo. My opinion is the same regardless of what religious belief (or lack thereof) that he is promoting.

You guys are hilarious. According to some he has the right to talk about his beliefs but I don't have the right to be annoyed by it? I would never say he doesn't have the right to talk about his beliefs, but why don't I have the right to talk about mine? I believe religious beliefs are a private matter and you don't go around advertising them at every opportunity. I also believe (based upon the constitution) that you don't use a government job (yes, that's what being a coach at NU is) as a platform for advancing your religious beliefs.

Like I said, I am glad he is back, because i think he is a good person and a good coach. I just wish he would stop trying to convert me when I am reading the sports page and just want to learn about the team.

Are you so totally backed up that even the merest mention of the word "God" throws you into a fit?

It must be a difficult life you live, brother.

Allah Akbar!

Using the pulpit provided to you by a government job is not the appropriate forum to be talking about your religious beliefs (or lack thereof).

As far as simply not listening, that is exactly what I do. When Ron Brown is interviewed on tv I just ignore it or turn the channel, because I know half of it is going to be about God. Given that it is a government job, it isn't quite that simple to determine whether it is "right" for him to do it or whether he has the "right" to do it.

I get the feeling that many people are ok with him using a government sponsored position to promote his religious beliefs because they happen to agree with his religious beliefs. I may agree with his beliefs as well, but that doesn't make it right for him to do that. I certainly wouldn't want a coach to use his job to promote his beliefs in radical Islam or Hatian Voodoo. My opinion is the same regardless of what religious belief (or lack thereof) that he is promoting.

You are correct, but it won't make any difference. You will still be attacked. That's the way they do it.

The rumors had been around but I'm really glad to see this confirmed!

Welcome back coach!

Now only if he will stop preaching about GOD everytime he speaks!

you are living in the wrong country brotha......he can talk about his beliefs all he wants

You guys are hilarious. According to some he has the right to talk about his beliefs but I don't have the right to be annoyed by those beliefs? I would never say he doesn't have the right to talk about his beliefs, but why don't I have the right to talk about my beliefs? I believe religious beliefs are a private matter and you don't go around advertising them at every opportunity. I also believe (based upon the constitution) that you don't use a government job (yes, that's what being a coach at NU is) as a platform for advancing your religious beliefs.

Like I said, I am glad he is back, because i think he is a good person and a good coach. I just wish he would stop trying to convert me when I am reading the sports page and just want to learn about the team.

I am not looking for an argument and I totally understand where you are coming from. Coach Brown's faith is HUGE part of his life and he is just expressing how he feels. He is not trying to force his beliefs on anyone, but just expressing his beliefs and morals. We shouldn't be fighting about this, but instead be celebrating a great coach coming back to Nebraska.

You are correct, but it won't make any difference. You will still be attacked. That's the way they do it.

teachers at public schools do that all of the time and nothing is said. esp the lack there of part. and I am not talking about in science classes.

as for the interviewing thing... expecting him not to speak his feelings is nothing short of censorship(as is the first part). again, if that is what you want, you've got the wrong country.

I couldn't care less if he was athiest, agnostic, Wiccan or Muslim. He has the same First Amendment rights you and I have. There is absolutely no prohibition against referencing God or Allah or Yahweh or the Flying Spaghetti Monster in an interview whether you work for the UNL Athletic department or anywhere else.

Get a freaking clue already!

I couldn't care less if he was athiest, agnostic, Wiccan or Muslim. He has the same First Amendment rights you and I have. There is absolutely no prohibition against referencing God or Allah or Yahweh or the Flying Spaghetti Monster in an interview whether you work for the UNL Athletic department or anywhere else.

man that guy scares me! thanks a lot pal. I wont be able to sleep for weeks

Again with the insults, huh? Anyway, I do have a clue. You may not personally have a problem with someone using a government position to promote his religious views, but the Consitution of the United States does. The First Amendment PROHIBITS someone from using a government position to advance his or her beliefs about religion. What that person does on his own time is his business, and is PROTECTED by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has been quite clear about this on numerous occasions. Including the very conservative version of the Supreme Court that currently decides cases. Just last year they affirmed this position (take a look at McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties if you don't believe me).

I'm sorry this issue is so emotional for you that you continue to resort to personal insults. I've had enough of your personal insults, so I will not be replying to your comments any further since intelligent discourse is not about insults and emotional responses.

Again with the insults, huh? Anyway, I do have a clue. You may not personally have a problem with someone using a government position to promote his religious views, but the Consitution of the United States does. The First Amendment PROHIBITS someone from using a government position to advance his or her beliefs about religion. What that person does on his own time is his business, and is PROTECTED by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has beenq quite clear about this on numerous occasions. Including the very conservative version of the Supreme Court that currently decides cases. Just last year they affirmed this position (take a look at McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties if you don't believe me).

I'm sorry this issue is so emotional for you that you continue to resort to personal insults. I've had enough of your personal insults, so I will not be replying to your comments any further since intelligent discourse is not about insults and emotional responses.

First off, you have NO CLUE what you're talking about - McCreary was a case where the ACLU felt that the display of the ten commandments was an official espousal of the tenets of Christianity, and therefore unconstitutional. This is FAR DIFFERENT from having employees who believe in a particular flavor of religion. Seriously know what you're talking about before posting next time - don't just spend two seconds googling something and then pretend you're an expert. Some people here actually do work in this field.

Finally, don't even pretend to claim moral high ground here. YOU are the person who, with no provocation, came out and attacked Ron Brown because of his faith. Your intolerance has perpetuated this conversation, and your whining is what has kept it going. I advised you once already to stop digging your hole, but here you are, getting deeper and deeper with every post.

I'm sorry that you cannot have a conversation without crying that someone is insulting you, but that appears to be the case. And way to insinuate that I'm not intelligent because I disagree with you. So much for the moral high ground on not insulting people.