A Few Little Known Bo Pelini Facts

Oh hell, ya'll are havin' your kind of fun and I am not about to try to throw water on that parade.

Some of the comments just aren't very funny, and I wish there was more respect, but what the hell there isn't and that's the way it is.

This kind of stuff wouldn't have even occurred to most of us back in the '60s, '70s, and maybe even some of the '80s. I guess it's a different sort of humor. And I really don't like it. :dunno

Maybe the mods or admins could check the archives and see what they were saying on Huskerboard in the '60, '70' or 80's....

Watch out, that violence police guy will say we're demeaning T.O. :)

Besides, you stole these from Jack Bauer.

But I know, Bo could kick JB's a**!

Oh hell, ya'll are havin' your kind of fun and I am not about to try to throw water on that parade.

Some of the comments just aren't very funny, and I wish there was more respect, but what the hell there isn't and that's the way it is.

This kind of stuff wouldn't have even occurred to most of us back in the '60s, '70s, and maybe even some of the '80s. I guess it's a different sort of humor. And I really don't like it. :dunno

you, my friend, are a stick in the mud. I apologize if that offends you.

Oh, I know I am a stick in the mud. I accept that. I just come from a different time I suppose.

But just for a moment think about the greatest coach ever here at NU. I can't imagine people making the kinds of comments that are common here, about Tom Osborne. Is he a stick in the mud. Yes, for sure. Is Bo Pelini as good a coach as Os? Not likely ever. I hope so, but probably not gonna happen.

The issue is respect. Tom Osborne deserves respect, and his programs were respected, and what ya'all are doing isn't very respectful.

I hope Bo works out, but I also hope he can lead through respect like Tom Osborne did. Maybe if he can lead, ya'all can learn to follow.

Oh, I know I am a stick in the mud. I accept that. I just come from a different time I suppose.

But just for a moment think about the greatest coach ever here at NU. I can't imagine people making the kinds of comments that are common here, about Tom Osborne. Is he a stick in the mud. Yes, for sure. Is Bo Pelini as good a coach as Os? Not likely ever. I hope so, but probably not gonna happen.

The issue is respect. Tom Osborne deserves respect, and his programs were respected, and what ya'all are doing isn't very respectful.

I hope Bo works out, but I also hope he can lead through respect like Tom Osborne did. Maybe if he can lead, ya'all can learn to follow.

It's ok to have a different sense of humor, it really is. However, this thread is far from disrespectful. I have the utmost respect for this program and university, but it doesn't stop me from basically shootin the sh#t with friends. I'll agree that a lot of authors that post things here would never say the same thing to that person's face, but I guess that's why we are here.

BTW, Did you take that line from a Saturday Night Live skit? RESPECT! That skit was hilarious!

Old fart to old fart.

The Internet provides anonymity, age indifference and worldwide broadcast. Like me, I'm sure your sense of humor was much different when you were in your teens or twenties. Tell me you didn't get together with friends then and make many disrespectful statements about respectful people. As you've aged your desire for respect and your appreciation of respect has grown. Now statements you would have passed off as funny when you were younger you now find insulting or disrespectful.

Don't deny other people the right to express themselves as their life experiences or lack there of have molded their thoughts into a different pattern than your own. And realize the Internet allows anyone into a discussion by a group of friends regardless of age or experience.

Also, is your negative statement about Plelini's career at NU not being up to the quality of Osborne's evidence of your own lack of respect showing? Everyone, especially in sports, will eventually have their records broken. Others WILL come who will equal or surpass comparisons to Tom Osborn and Bob Devaney. Count on it.

Will that person be Bo Pelini? No one knows but if you were around during the years of Devaney and Osborne you know how close the later was to being fired himself before pulling the missing pieces to his program together.

So, give Bo his chance. And give other posters their chance, too.

Damn right Wally... I believe there is a real issue at hand when people from a previous generation completely disregard the attitude and opinions of the current one. In this generation, respect is not necessarily given lightly. It is earned. No one said that to TO's face in the seventy's because they were saying it behind his back. In that way, this is a much more honest generation. There is not a single thread in here that disrespects the life or career of Tom Osborne. That is simply the mindset of Americans today. Do I completely agree with it? No. I was always tought that respect was implied, not earned, but that does not change reality. Go to work son. It is the only way you will find acceptance.

I know damn well that kind of stuff DID occur to us back in the 60's and 70's, having grown up during those long gone decades. I can also tell you that growing up on the east side of the Missouri, we had a LOT more disrespectful things to say about TO (and Devany before him) and the Cornhuskers than anything you'll see on this board...

Remember that you're not the only one over 20 to post here grandpa.

Also, is your negative statement about Plelini's career at NU not being up to the quality of Osborne's evidence of your own lack of respect showing?

I wouldn't want to dis Bo, far from it. What do you think the chances are that he will be one of the greatest coaches in college football? The odds suggest he doesn't have much of a chance. Very few coaches make that list.

I'll sure will give him a chance, and I really do hope for the best. But, the odds are against him, as I am sure you understand. Bob Devaney, and Tom Osborne are a big act to live up to. It is unlikely that Bo will be that good. It's not at all negative, just true. We had an incredible run with Devaney and Osborne. Maybe never to be seen again.

Also, is your negative statement about Plelini's career at NU not being up to the quality of Osborne's evidence of your own lack of respect showing?

I wouldn't want to dis Bo, far from it. What do you think the chances are that he will be one of the greatest coaches in college football? The odds suggest he doesn't have much of a chance. Very few coaches make that list.

I'll sure will give him a chance, and I really do hope for the best. But, the odds are against him, as I am sure you understand. Bob Devaney, and Tom Osborne are a big act to live up to. It is unlikely that Bo will be that good. It's not at all negative, just true. We had an incredible run with Devaney and Osborne. Maybe never to be seen again.

I've met negative people like yourself. You're ready to lose before the game is even played. I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

I've met negative people like yourself. You're ready to lose before the game is even played. I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

I'm not at all negative about Pelini. I think he has a good chance to be a good coach for NU.

But what are the chances of any coach being as great as Osborne? Not good. He is unique.

Hey, I'm all for Pelini. I think he is a good choice. But will he be a great coach? Probably not. Most aren't ya know, even the good ones aren't as great as Os.

My guess is that Pelini will be a good thing for us. But a return to the glory days isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It's just the way football goes.

I'm all for Pelini and I will cheer for the Huskers. Just don't get disappointed if we aren't like the glory teams of the past.

I'm not at all negative about Pelini. I think he has a good chance to be a good coach for NU.

But what are the chances of any coach being as great as Osborne? Not good. He is unique.

Hey, I'm all for Pelini. I think he is a good choice. But will he be a great coach? Probably not. Most aren't ya know, even the good ones aren't as great as Os.

My guess is that Pelini will be a good thing for us. But a return to the glory days isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It's just the way football goes.

I'm all for Pelini and I will cheer for the Huskers. Just don't get disappointed if we aren't like the glory teams of the past.

The "Glory Days" WILL probably return under Pelini. But it depends if you mean Tom's 1st 10 years or Tom's last 10 years as your definition of "Glory Days". Remember, Bob Devaney was here for quite a while before he won his two national championships. If you think NU can't return to 9 win seasons in most years you have sadly bought into Callahan's parity theory. Ask Bob Stoops about parity vs. good coaching.

Since it's snowing outside and I didn't feel like shoveling it right away, I did a little bit of research on Bo Pelini and was amazed by some of the things I found out so in the spirit of a laugh or two on a crappy day:

SOME THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT BO PELINI:

Superman has to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Tall buildings bow down for Bo Pelini.

Ok, I gave it a shot. Shutting up now. :dunno<_<