'09 or '10 game: Nebraska at Hawai'i (on hold)

Actually, I doubt any of you all want to make the trip to this game. You should really read up on the history of Hawaii fans before you get excited about making a trip down there. If you think Colorado fans are stupid, I would hate to know what the term would be for these guys.

Needless to say, they are BY FAR the most hated fan base in the entire WAC. I would say they are hated more, but considering they play no one of note, it's kinda hard to say. :P However, Alabama fans had encounters with them and they really have nothing nice to say about them.

Basically, if you go, be prepared to fight and protect yourself and your friends.

I was there with the wife for Thanksgiving week. That statement is very true. Every day in the paper there was an article preaching good taste during the Boise St. game. Win or lose. Also, the coach paid for a 1/4 page ad the whole week saying the same. I guess it kinda worked, no riots but crap was thrown on the field the entire game, and I thought that stadium was coming down when they won they rushed it so fast.

Screw it....sounds like a deal to me......Hell, I will go.... I have a cousin stationed over here and can fly family in fairly inexpensive....or at least that is what she and all of my aunts/uncles have said and done....it would be a great excuse to go see her and the Big Red.......as far as the crowd....been too a lot of bad places and games following NU and survived.... so people are a-holes, keep quiet, and go about your business....

I hope this gets done.....only, IF they agree to come to Lincoln for a non-conference game.....home-home....

Actually, I doubt any of you all want to make the trip to this game. You should really read up on the history of Hawaii fans before you get excited about making a trip down there. If you think Colorado fans are stupid, I would hate to know what the term would be for these guys.

Needless to say, they are BY FAR the most hated fan base in the entire WAC. I would say they are hated more, but considering they play no one of note, it's kinda hard to say. :P However, Alabama fans had encounters with them and they really have nothing nice to say about them.

Basically, if you go, be prepared to fight and protect yourself and your friends.

:yeah My brother-in-law went to Hawaii for business earlier this year and was there over a weekend when they had a home game. He said he thought about going to the game but after walking through the tailgating area he would'nt have any part of it. He said it was the craziest thing he has ever seen, he said people were just being total a-hole drunks and he was there just as a neutral party.

Tailgating at Aloha Stadium is comparable to tailgating at Arrowhead. If you are wearing silver and black on Raider Sunday, prepare for some jabs but its all in fun. UH fans are boisterous and LOADS of fun to party with. Not to mention, they know TONS about football. Anyone who was scared of that scene is just scared that the bruddaz are going to pound their haolie asses.

For recruiting purposes, I think it would be a great idea. Nebraska used to have a solid Hawaii pipeline. Dominic Raiola and Toniu Fonoti come to mind.

Have we become this desperate to find players....? The cost of the trip alone makes it a joke to schedule them, especially if your doing it to find recruits that may or may not pan out. It is cheaper to fly the recruits to Nebraska and let them see our program and facilities.

And we shouldn't have to promise mainland recruits a trip to Hawaii to get them to come to Nebraska, if that is the reason they are coming, then it is for the wrong reasons.

The more I think about this proposition, the more I am against it. The average Nebraskan can't afford season tickets in Lincoln, let alone a trip to Hawaii for one game. This is a bad idea, and the money could be better used.

If most can't afford season tickets to the home games how can they afford any away trip? I have season tickets and they aren't "that expensive". I spent double my season ticket price to go to the Big 12 Championship game last year at Arrowhead. I would believe that when you take the drive or flight along with hotel cost anyone going to an away game spends more than they would for the season tickets.

If you don't want to go to the game or can't afford to then don't... but don't say this is a bad idea just because it doesn't fit for you.

And by the way, no where in there did it say that nebraska would bring recruits over with them to see a game there. We wouldn't bring recruits to any away game. Helps when you know what your commenting on!

For recruiting purposes, I think it would be a great idea. Nebraska used to have a solid Hawaii pipeline. Dominic Raiola and Toniu Fonoti come to mind.

Have we become this desperate to find players....? The cost of the trip alone makes it a joke to schedule them, especially if your doing it to find recruits that may or may not pan out. It is cheaper to fly the recruits to Nebraska and let them see our program and facilities.

And we shouldn't have to promise mainland recruits a trip to Hawaii to get them to come to Nebraska, if that is the reason they are coming, then it is for the wrong reasons.

The more I think about this proposition, the more I am against it. The average Nebraskan can't afford season tickets in Lincoln, let alone a trip to Hawaii for one game. This is a bad idea, and the money could be better used.

If most can't afford season tickets to the home games how can they afford any away trip? I have season tickets and they aren't "that expensive". I spent double my season ticket price to go to the Big 12 Championship game last year at Arrowhead. I would believe that when you take the drive or flight along with hotel cost anyone going to an away game spends more than they would for the season tickets.

If you don't want to go to the game or can't afford to then don't... but don't say this is a bad idea just because it doesn't fit for you.

And by the way, no where in there did it say that nebraska would bring recruits over with them to see a game there. We wouldn't bring recruits to any away game. Helps when you know what your commenting on!

I think he meant by that was that Nebraska would use the fact that if you (recruit) come to Nebraska that they will have a trip going over to play against Hawaii in Hawaii.

Nu used to get a few good players from Hawaii (until Darlington got to old that he stop recruiting there or anywhere else) and it might be worth it to go down there and help NU to recruit that area.

NU just spent 75k on a coaching search, so I don't think a trip down there would break them.

What the hell does money spent on having a college football team in Hawaii have anything to do with kids starving in Arkansas? Even if they didn't have a team, none of that money would make it to Arkansas.

Play this from Brudda IZ as you read my reply..

PL-uL2M3xvM

Didn't Bob Devaney schedule them to help us in recruiting? (sort of a 2nd Bowl Game)?

I remember having to hear the game as a child, late at night and having to call the local radio station to find out if we won or not because I fell asleep.

Sounds like some of us have gotten a little spoiled, expecting to see us on TV every week...So what if we don't travel as well to Hawaii (Although I seriously doubt it).

It might cut in to the number of fans that go to a Bowl game, but in reality..Probably a third of the fans (at the Fiesta Bowl at least) are transplanted Huskers like me...(A 20 mile drive).

Hawaii is probably the only team I'd consider scheduling all the games away to...(not Home and Home).

Not able to find the scores of past games with them, but as long as June is there, I'd expect a tough game with them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting tidbits <wikikipedia

They have two different helmets one for Home and another for away games...

1923 - A rainbow appears over Moiliili Field after Hawaii upsets Oregon State, 7-0. Local reporters begin calling UH athletic teams the "Rainbows."

1955 - A year after suffering a 50-0 blowout loss to Nebraska in Honolulu, the Rainbows go up to Lincoln the following season and upset the Huskers 6-0. The win is considered one of the school's all-time biggest upsets.

1961 - The UH Board of Athletic Control votes to abolish the football program due to a lack of finances. The program would return to intercollegiate competition the following year behind the urgings of new athletics director Young Suk Ko.

1974 - Hawaii becomes an NCAA Division I member. The team's new nickname becomes the "Rainbow Warriors." They play their final year at Honolulu Stadium.

2001 - Hawaii changes its nickname from "Rainbow Warriors" to simply "Warriors." Wide receiver Ashley Lelie becomes the highest draft pick in program history as the Denver Broncos select him with the 19th pick in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft.

Thank you, I have liked that version since he recorded it. Could listen to it 20 times a day.

GBR!!! :thumbs