'08 Offensive and Defensive 2-Deep......

With all the "woe is me recruiting talk," I thought I would point out how our recruiting losses this season will not effect the '08 season. The future of NU's recruiting will be contingent upon our '08 season and beyond. if we win next season, the recruiting will take care of itself. Our '08 class will mean very little on the field.

I agree that we were worse off in 2004, but the fall out isn't over yet either. It will not impact 2008, but it will impact the future if this class completely falls apart. Championships aren't won on Signing Day, but we can't lose the meat of this class and not expect for there to be some challenges.

Yes that is true, but Osborne always had recruiting classes ranked 20-30 and he did alright. The rankings give you SOME indication of the talent of the player, but they are really arbitrary. Remember five star Harrison Beck? He's a backup at NC State. Just like I think Levorson will be really good (a 2 star), but I think Trevor Robinson is going to suck (a four star- was for NU, now is going to ND). Stoops never blows people away with recruiting, but he's in the title hunt every year. Bill Callahan was awesome at recruiting and he couldn't beat anyone other than Baylor and Iowa St.

This was talked about in the recruiting forum under more detail, but the notion that Nebraska never had top recruiting class is erroneous. The class that included Turner Gill(80) was highly regarded. The 1985 class that included Steve Taylor, Broderick Thomas and Neil Smith was regarded as the best in the nation and all classes from 91-98 were ranked no lower than 12th, with 4 years in the top 5. Nebraska was good for a long time, we became awesome when our recruiting stepped up.