'08 Offensive and Defensive 2-Deep......

With all the "woe is me recruiting talk," I thought I would point out how our recruiting losses this season will not effect the '08 season. The future of NU's recruiting will be contingent upon our '08 season and beyond. if we win next season, the recruiting will take care of itself. Our '08 class will mean very little on the field.

I agree that we were worse off in 2004, but the fall out isn't over yet either. It will not impact 2008, but it will impact the future if this class completely falls apart. Championships aren't won on Signing Day, but we can't lose the meat of this class and not expect for there to be some challenges.

Yes that is true, but Osborne always had recruiting classes ranked 20-30 and he did alright. The rankings give you SOME indication of the talent of the player, but they are really arbitrary. Remember five star Harrison Beck? He's a backup at NC State. Just like I think Levorson will be really good (a 2 star), but I think Trevor Robinson is going to suck (a four star- was for NU, now is going to ND). Stoops never blows people away with recruiting, but he's in the title hunt every year. Bill Callahan was awesome at recruiting and he couldn't beat anyone other than Baylor and Iowa St.

With all the "woe is me recruiting talk," I thought I would point out how our recruiting losses this season will not effect the '08 season. The future of NU's recruiting will be contingent upon our '08 season and beyond. if we win next season, the recruiting will take care of itself. Our '08 class will mean very little on the field.

QB- Ganz, Lee or Witt - fine here

RB- Lucky (if he stays), Castille, Helu, Glenn, Wilson, Mendoza - fine here

LT- Burkes

RT- Murtha

LG- Slauson, Huff

RG- Hickman or Huff

C- Christensen, Hickman, Henry

O-line is fine!!

TE- Teafatiller, Young, Hetzer

WR, Swift, Peterson, Holt, Paul, Gillelyen, Henry

DE- Potter, Allen

DT- Dixon, Moore

NG- Suh, Barfield

DE- Kuli( if he signs)(turner)

OLB- Larry Asante- I believe Pelini will move him to his natural position, Stafford

ILB- Dillard, Covey

OLB- Lawrence, Washington

CB- Anthony Blue (Future All-big 12), West

CB- Armando Murillo, Shawn Sullivan

SS- Thenarse, Amukamara

FS, Major Culbert, Hagg

My point is the only position that will be effected by the '08 recruiting class is D-End. I think Simi Kuli could come in and start. Other than that, our recruits will make very little difference in '08.

That means, the real recruiting heats up for '09. Our results on the field or perceived improvement will greatly effect the '09 class. If Simi goes elsewhere, that's reason to fret. Otherwise, the '08 class won't be that bad overall. We were much worse off in '04.

I think your offensive back field is clearly the strength of this team next year, with or without Lucky. I think you will have an outstanding backfield either way. O-Line looks solid, and really had some success this year.

The D-line was your big question mark going into last year, and unfortunately the answer wasn't very good. The entire defense will need a major overhaul. Those guys will have to quickly get over being shell shocked this season.

Good luck next year.

The D-line does have a lot to prove, but I do think Pelini will benefit from experience and experienced depth along the D-line. The D-line was able to pressure the QB over the last month of the season. They did get better in that aspect. However, they still were poor against the run. We had one interior D-linemen with any kind of serviceable D-I time going into the '07 season. I think Suh broke down over the course of the season because he had no depth behind him. A d-line rotation is imperative to be successfull.

Pelini will have a lot of bodies at his disposal to rotate in and out. One important factor will involve guys like Terrence Moore and Seth Jensen. How have they progressed? how can they develop in the Spring under Pelini's system?

How is Yancy and Jared Crick coming along? Can those guys see the field next season? If NU can create a D-line rotation with 9-10 scholarship players, they can drastically improve the defense.

Linebacker is a position of concern, but if you square up the D-line and have talent and experience in the secondary, the linebackers can learn on the fly.

I think you guys are deluding yourself about the defense needing to show some improvement...that thing needs a total overhaul. Think about it...the defense was ranked 112th out of 119 schools. There were only 7 defensive units in the entire freakin nation worse than ours! 116th in the nation against the rush? Quick! Name the three schools in the entire country that were worse! Luckily, the defense was so crappy against the rush that people didn't bother to pass all that much and we climbed all the way up to 86th in pass defense...give the secondary a gold star <_< This whole group needs to be thrown into a big group and told..."It's open competition if you want to play this year...you scholarship and five-star guys are starting out at zero. When you prove you're tougher and meaner than these 50 walk-ons here that want your job, you get to play." Then I would have them all beat the living crap out of each other until the season starts. Frankly, you could bring a trained chimp in to coach and you couldn't help but show some improvement over last year's performance.

Offense? Same way. Sure...lots of impressive numbers in the last two weeks. But those were against KSU and CU...two teams coming off defeats by *gasp* Iowa State! But...I saw more NU linemen knocked on their asses this year than I've seen over the past 20 years. This line is fat and slow...I think the main reason that we relied on all the quick hitters to the outside was because we had no linemen fast enough to get out there to lead block for conventional screens. Zone blocking made these guys look fat and lazy. Lucky inspires no fear in opponents. Nobody is going to flinch from contact with him because he's no threat to punish them for getting in his way. You contain Lucky on the outside and he's done. I think if he were to go pro, it would upgrade the entire running game. The passing game about all we have right now and it's not even as good as it appeared in the last two games and with the graduation of Nunn (who I will miss) and Mo (who I will not miss) this part of the game might not be nearly as effective.

I like Pelini and Nebraska football but it's going to take some time to rebuild this trainwreck.

Oh...and insult ISU all you want wiseguy but we did beat Callahan in 2004. Matter of fact, we played some pretty respectable games against Callahan teams. Considering Nebraska was coming at ISU with the vaunted West Coast Offense, I find it fairly satisfying that NU only outgained ISU by 56 yards over the past four seasons (1626 to 1570) while ISU actually outgained NU in the air 1144 yards to 1050 yards. So much for the WCO....

I think you guys are deluding yourself about the defense needing to show some improvement...that thing needs a total overhaul. Think about it...the defense was ranked 112th out of 119 schools. There were only 7 defensive units in the entire freakin nation worse than ours! 116th in the nation against the rush? Quick! Name the three schools in the entire country that were worse! Luckily, the defense was so crappy against the rush that people didn't bother to pass all that much and we climbed all the way up to 86th in pass defense...give the secondary a gold star <_< This whole group needs to be thrown into a big group and told..."It's open competition if you want to play this year...you scholarship and five-star guys are starting out at zero. When you prove you're tougher and meaner than these 50 walk-ons here that want your job, you get to play." Then I would have them all beat the living crap out of each other until the season starts. Frankly, you could bring a trained chimp in to coach and you couldn't help but show some improvement over last year's performance.

Offense? Same way. Sure...lots of impressive numbers in the last two weeks. But those were against KSU and CU...two teams coming off defeats by *gasp* Iowa State! But...I saw more NU linemen knocked on their asses this year than I've seen over the past 20 years. This line is fat and slow...I think the main reason that we relied on all the quick hitters to the outside was because we had no linemen fast enough to get out there to lead block for conventional screens. Zone blocking made these guys look fat and lazy. Lucky inspires no fear in opponents. Nobody is going to flinch from contact with him because he's no threat to punish them for getting in his way. You contain Lucky on the outside and he's done. I think if he were to go pro, it would upgrade the entire running game. The passing game about all we have right now and it's not even as good as it appeared in the last two games and with the graduation of Nunn (who I will miss) and Mo (who I will not miss) this part of the game might not be nearly as effective.

I like Pelini and Nebraska football but it's going to take some time to rebuild this trainwreck.

Oh...and insult ISU all you want wiseguy but we did beat Callahan in 2004. Matter of fact, we played some pretty respectable games against Callahan teams. Considering Nebraska was coming at ISU with the vaunted West Coast Offense, I find it fairly satisfying that NU only outgained ISU by 56 yards over the past four seasons (1626 to 1570) while ISU actually outgained NU in the air 1144 yards to 1050 yards. So much for the WCO....

:yeah

I agree with most of what you say. The Defense absolutely was non-existent 95% of the season...they sucked. There needs to be a new attitude on defense.

The Offense needs work on the O-line. Strength and conditioning was totally absent last year, as was having anyone to teach them how to do the job. They were given the schemes and just expected to do the job, without any teaching from the coaches.

Last years team was treated like a pro team is treated, everyone is just expected to do their job. They came with the physical attributes and some talent, but neither was expanded on. These kids were no better at the end of the season this year, than they were when they arrived. The only thing they developed was a bad attitude, this was apparent by some of the statements made by certain players at places like the Brass Rail.

This years team needs to come into camp with the attitude that there is going to be drastic change in the way they do things. Things like having 4 or 5 missed tackles every play is not acceptable....even one missed tackle should be looked at as a negative. The Blackshirts should have to earn the right to wear them, and to keep wearing them. If they don't perform, they shouldn't be wearing them. I have no problem having only 3 or 4 blackshirts being worn through most of the season, if they are the only ones to be deserving. The idea of handing them out to all the starters is a joke. What is the incentive if you automatically get one because your a starter in your position, even though there really isn't any other viable alternatives in that position? I don't want to see so many blackshirts as we have had the past few years again.

The kids that are going to be taking the leadership roles need to act like they are leaders. The recent debacle with Witt really kind of ticked me off. If he don't grow up and act more responsible, I don't want him directing our offense. He is young, it isn't too late, but he has to take steps to show that he is willing to grow up and be responsible. There is no excuse for off the field problems...these kids came here to get an education, and to play football. Just because they are on the team don't give them the right to get away with what is expected from any other student on campus. If they are caught in the wrong, they need to pay the price, maybe even at a higher rate, because they are here getting a free education, and should be taking advantage of that fact.

It comes down to attitude....they have to come in with the attitude that they are here for a purpose. If they come in with the attitude that things are status quo, we will be 6-6 this year...if that.

:restore

You're a tool. Nebraska's offense is vastly different with Ganz at the helm. The Huskers also put up big offensive numbers against Texas and Kansas. The offense had a three week struggle against AtM, Okie State, and Missouri. Other than that, the offense was pretty damn good.

Ganz made everyone on offense better, including Marlon Lucky, who became the first running back in NCAA history to rush for more than a 1,000 yards and garner 700+ yards receiving.

Nebraska's defense still has more talent than Iowa State, and they will have a better defense next season as well. And I expect Nebraska to kick Iowa State's ass again, whether we win 5 games or 10 next season.

You're a tool. Nebraska's offense is vastly different with Ganz at the helm. The Huskers also put up big offensive numbers against Texas and Kansas. The offense had a three week struggle against AtM, Okie State, and Missouri. Other than that, the offense was pretty damn good.

Ganz made everyone on offense better, including Marlon Lucky, who became the first running back in NCAA history to rush for more than a 1,000 yards and garner 700+ yards receiving.

Nebraska's defense still has more talent than Iowa State, and they will have a better defense next season as well. And I expect Nebraska to kick Iowa State's ass again, whether we win 5 games or 10 next season.

Ganz didn't make everyone else better, his ability to move out of the pocket just made it easier to overlook some of the poor blocking that was being done on the O-line. Keller didn't have the ability to move out of the pocket, and if he was going to take off running, he better have a hole the size of Kansas to run through, of he was a dead man.

Talent without desire takes you to...what? Oh yeah...112th place in total defense. NU may have had more "talent" but the ISU staff knew how to make the most of the talent they did have.

Ganz didn't make everyone else better, his ability to move out of the pocket just made it easier to overlook some of the poor blocking that was being done on the O-line. Keller didn't have the ability to move out of the pocket, and if he was going to take off running, he better have a hole the size of Kansas to run through, of he was a dead man.

Uhhmm.....yeahhhh..... Thanks for making my point. Joey Ganz made his offensive line better than it was because of his ability to avoid pressure or even showcase the zone read which is more about deception than blocking. Ganz's ability made Marlon Lucky and the other running backs more dangerous as well because teams could no longer just key on the running backs.

So back to my initial point which you dumbfoundly tried to refute: Ganz made everyone on else better.

As for Cy's response. If I didn't think Pelini could motivate NU's defense to play the game with a different attitude, then I wouldn't be talking about the Huskers at all. What you're saying is exactly correct, but it's also obvious. if they don't play with the intensity of the Blackshirts past, then it won't matter who plays what position.

I can honestly say though, I'd rather have Nebraska's defensive talent and believe Pelini can get the same thing out of them Chizik got out of Iowa State. I admire Chizik a lot, btw.

cy.... the offense didnt put up some good #'s. they put up absurd #'s dont forget the offense took it to KU as well. to bad our d was terrible. I am not saying that our O will contu\inue to play at that level, but I think you have to look at the group returning and expect that it is going to be a good unit with the chance to be great. IF the D can be just decent we should be looking at going to a bowl this time next year. I think 7-8 wins is not out of the ? dont forget we won 9 games 2 years ago.

Talent without desire takes you to...what? Oh yeah...112th place in total defense. NU may have had more "talent" but the ISU staff knew how to make the most of the talent they did have.

Bo is the coach now. just look at what he did the last time he was here. I promise you we will be no where near the bottom of the country. we will cut that # in half at the bare minimum

Your warning level has been increased for your violation of the Board's rules against personal attacks on other members.

A second offense will result in a temporary ban.

A third suspension will result in a permanent ban.

Your warning level has been increased for your violation of the Board's rules against personal attacks on other members.

A second offense will result in a temporary ban.

A third suspension will result in a permanent ban.

Geez...I don't think calling a guy a tool warrents an increased warning level. We ISU fans consider that a term of endearment. I don't think it fits the personal attack criteria.

The O-line depth sure doesn't look too hot. We better have some more good Tackles or we could be in trouble there. That is where we will sink or swim offensively because I think our skill positions are set pretty well.

Defensively, our D-Line was sure a weak spot as were our LB's. I think our DB's and Safeties will be good as they were young and got some good experience this apst year. The D-line and LB's are the big ?