'08 Linebackers: OUCH!!

215 - 220 is actually a pretty decent weight for an OLB. I see no problem with Asante there...especially if he hunts heads like he did in the secondary.

only memory I have of Assante is dodging Javorski Lane .... when did he ever hit anyone ? when did any husker defender hit anyone this season ( and I mean when the game mattered, before it was a blowout cuz I stopped watching a few games ) ?

Asante hit the guy holding the down marker a pretty good lick when they played ISU. Old guy went down like a ton of bricks! Blythe kept running but I think they ended up taking that old man off the field in a cart...

I was probably close to death by alcohol poisoning at that point

:hmmph:cheers

I posted this a little while age, but if you look at all of the SEC defenses, they all have "undersized" LB's I would put asante at LB. Asante, dillard, culbert. thats the type of speed we have been missing.

Excactly what I was thinking....

Ali Highsmith 226

Luke Sanders 229

Darry Beckwith 229

I'll take speed and good tackling technique over size any day. If the defensive line does its job you don't need monstrous LBs

That's why I think Eric harper will play linebacker. I love his film. He's extremely explosive at 6'4 230. Culbert still has to put on quite a bit of weight to get to the 220 range.

I think Asante has the "hitter" instinct, but his angles were always so poor. I think that something to do with a kid having never played the safety position before. He's trying to adapt to the speed of D-I and playing a position he's never played before. I think if he makes the transition to Will, he could be a far more productive player.

We're all in agreeance that between Dillard, Lawrence, Washington, Stafford, and possibly Asante or Culbert, those guys will definitely see the field.

The real question is whether or not Covey can ever see the field and produce. And is Kyle Moore ready to provide minutes?

10 pounds? if he doesnt gain close to that over the offseason I will be upset.

I agree with you about asante. I think you could see him flourish with Bo.

215 - 220 is actually a pretty decent weight for an OLB. I see no problem with Asante there...especially if he hunts heads like he did in the secondary.

only memory I have of Assante is dodging Javorski Lane .... when did he ever hit anyone ? when did any husker defender hit anyone this season ( and I mean when the game mattered, before it was a blowout cuz I stopped watching a few games ) ?

Asante hit the guy holding the down marker a pretty good lick when they played ISU. Old guy went down like a ton of bricks! Blythe kept running but I think they ended up taking that old man off the field in a cart...

I posted this a little while age, but if you look at all of the SEC defenses, they all have "undersized" LB's I would put asante at LB. Asante, dillard, culbert. thats the type of speed we have been missing.

Ali Highsmith 226

Luke Sanders 229

Darry Beckwith 229

I'll take speed and good tackling technique over size any day. If the defensive line does its job you don't need monstrous LBs

That's why I think Eric harper will play linebacker. I love his film. He's extremely explosive at 6'4 230. Culbert still has to put on quite a bit of weight to get to the 220 range.

I think Asante has the "hitter" instinct, but his angles were always so poor. I think that something to do with a kid having never played the safety position before. He's trying to adapt to the speed of D-I and playing a position he's never played before. I think if he makes the transition to Will, he could be a far more productive player.

We're all in agreeance that between Dillard, Lawrence, Washington, Stafford, and possibly Asante or Culbert, those guys will definitely see the field.

The real question is whether or not Covey can ever see the field and produce. And is Kyle Moore ready to provide minutes?

The problem though with guys who are the weight that some of you want is that they will be too slow. The real ideal is that your WILL is a 4.5 guy with a 4.3 pro agility quickness. Your SAM needs to be as well a 4.5 or 4.55 guy. The MIKE needs to be no slower than 4.6. If a player is slower than any of those prescribed speeds then they better have some serious skills to compensate for lack of speed (great tackling skills, a nose for the ball, great instincts, quick decision making, physically able to disengage from blocks, etc.).

I would rather have the WILL meet the speed requirement and play at 200 pounds, or my SAM meet the speed requirement at 225 than have the guys weigh in heavy and be too slow.

As for Harper, well his measurables place him more in the quick (semi-quick) DE range than a LB. Is he not a 4.68 guy? That is OK speed for a DE, but a LB? Or, maybe I have a wrong notion of his speed. Also game film against HS athletes makes any D1 guy look quick and explosive. There is a huge difference when one gets to the B12. Could he perhaps be a MIKE?

Lack of speed and strength and poor fundamentals really hurt the NU defense last year --- and bad schemes (and a defeated attitude). This year, at least start with putting speed out there (or at least as much speed as we can get out there).

The linebacker play at Kansas has been the best in the Big 12 North for 3 of the last four seasons. They had the best unit in the whole Big 12 this past season. I guarantee you, there isn't one linebacker at KU who runs under a 4.7.

Derrick Johnson, who's arguably the best linebacker from the Big 12 over the last decade, ran a 4.67 at the combine. Jay Moore ran a 4.7 and the Niners recruited him to play OLB in the NFL.

As for Eric Harper's film, have you ever watched a high school game in Louisiana? Every kid on the field is fast. Harper sticks out like a sore thumb. When he gets to Nebraska he will be one of NU's most impressive athletes in the '08 class. He has outstanding explosion. Sean Fisher is listed as a 4.6 guy, and he looks like he's running in slow motion compared to Harper's film.

Speed is needed at the linebacker position, but having a nose for the football and learning how to pursue the ball carrier and fight off blocks is more important.

I disagree with anyone whom belives NU's defense sucked because of athleticsm. It's simply not the case.

Innexperience was the first issue. Poor Coaching and schemes were the second issue. A lack of proper motivation and leadership was the next problem. Athleticsm was a problem, but not the biggest culprit.

I'll take my chances with a weakside and strongside linebacker who run 4.6's if they can tackle a ball carrier, take proper angles, and fight off blocks.

I know he didn't really show much in his chances this year but I personally think blake lawrence will be a star for us. Possible not even next year but if he gets to work in the offseason it could be next season. I was really surprised when I saw the film and everything for this kid, Seemed like the type of guy Callahan would normally pass on but that we made a living on in the past.

I know he didn't really show much in his chances this year but I personally think blake lawrence will be a star for us. Possible not even next year but if he gets to work in the offseason it could be next season. I was really surprised when I saw the film and everything for this kid, Seemed like the type of guy Callahan would normally pass on but that we made a living on in the past.

and this is why bo is back. TO remembers the turnaround of 2003. yeah, there were some games that got ugly, but by and large the D was better than when bolh was running things.

we have talent on this team. and there are some nebraska kids who really REALLY want to play. hopefully, everything will come together by fall.

Ali Highsmith 226

Luke Sanders 229

Darry Beckwith 229

The problem though with guys who are the weight that some of you want is that they will be too slow. The real ideal is that your WILL is a 4.5 guy with a 4.3 pro agility quickness. Your SAM needs to be as well a 4.5 or 4.55 guy. The MIKE needs to be no slower than 4.6. If a player is slower than any of those prescribed speeds then they better have some serious skills to compensate for lack of speed (great tackling skills, a nose for the ball, great instincts, quick decision making, physically able to disengage from blocks, etc.).

I would rather have the WILL meet the speed requirement and play at 200 pounds, or my SAM meet the speed requirement at 225 than have the guys weigh in heavy and be too slow.

As for Harper, well his measurables place him more in the quick (semi-quick) DE range than a LB. Is he not a 4.68 guy? That is OK speed for a DE, but a LB? Or, maybe I have a wrong notion of his speed. Also game film against HS athletes makes any D1 guy look quick and explosive. There is a huge difference when one gets to the B12. Could he perhaps be a MIKE?

Lack of speed and strength and poor fundamentals really hurt the NU defense last year --- and bad schemes (and a defeated attitude). This year, at least start with putting speed out there (or at least as much speed as we can get out there).

The linebacker play at Kansas has been the best in the Big 12 North for 3 of the last four seasons. They had the best unit in the whole Big 12 this past season. I guarantee you, there isn't one linebacker at KU who runs under a 4.7.

Derrick Johnson, who's arguably the best linebacker from the Big 12 over the last decade, ran a 4.67 at the combine. Jay Moore ran a 4.7 and the Niners recruited him to play OLB in the NFL.

As for Eric Harper's film, have you ever watched a high school game in Louisiana? Every kid on the field is fast. Harper sticks out like a sore thumb. When he gets to Nebraska he will be one of NU's most impressive athletes in the '08 class. He has outstanding explosion. Sean Fisher is listed as a 4.6 guy, and he looks like he's running in slow motion compared to Harper's film.

Speed is needed at the linebacker position, but having a nose for the football and learning how to pursue the ball carrier and fight off blocks is more important.

I disagree with anyone whom belives NU's defense sucked because of athleticsm. It's simply not the case.

Innexperience was the first issue. Poor Coaching and schemes were the second issue. A lack of proper motivation and leadership was the next problem. Athleticsm was a problem, but not the biggest culprit.

I'll take my chances with a weakside and strongside linebacker who run 4.6's if they can tackle a ball carrier, take proper angles, and fight off blocks.

Well King our issue with Harper now seems rather moot --- unless we watch Louisiana Tech games. Your points about being able to compensate for lack of speed are well presented and I agree. Still, speed is a great thing. I also agree that lack of athleticism was one of many problems at NU last year --- but it too was problem.

Ali Highsmith 226

Luke Sanders 229

Darry Beckwith 229

Well King our issue with Harper now seems rather moot --- unless we watch Louisiana Tech games. Your points about being able to compensate for lack of speed are well presented and I agree. Still, speed is a great thing. I also agree that lack of athleticism was one of many problems at NU last year --- but it too was problem.

yeah no Harper. I didn't see that one coming. Perhaps Pelini knew something we didn't know. The lack of athleticsm didn't help, but I will argue NU had more athleticsm than Kansas, and they had a much better defense than we did.

On one hand I'm upset we will be losing a kid like Mohler who would likely come in and start, which would lead to more depth. On the other hand, I'd rather take our bumps and bruises with a sophomore or redshirt freshman than relying on a JUCO guy.

So what's gonna happen to this unit next season? Will we move a guy like Asante to play on the Weakside? Can he get play that position at 215 to 220? Is LaTravis Washington capable of playing a position he never played in high school? I have very little faith in his development this past fall. Cosgrove never proved he could develop a linebacker. Did Blake Lawrence receive enough experience to propel him into a starting role over Stafford or Washington?

Can Covey finally get healthy? If so, does he have the ability to see PT? He might be the only guy who can back up Dillard inside. Can Kyle Moore or Thomas Grove step up and produce at a scholarship level?

Will a guy like Sean Fisher get some early PT? Eric Harper, whom I believe is Nebraska's most athletic defensive recruit, could see some early PT as well. Harper would be the #1 HS player in Nebraska by far. If he didn't attend a poor, inner city HS in New Orleans, he'd be receiving far more attention. I think he will play Backer instead of D-End at NU.

Right now this is what we know:

Dillard is slated to start inside. Lawrence will probably start at the Weakside position, at the very least, he'll play extensively. Stafford is probably ahead of Washington because of experience. We'll probably see both of those guys on the field.

Pelini might leave Asante at safety, but he might move Larry back to the position he excelled at in JUCO. Virginia Tech had him slotted as an outside backer. Perhaps a real defensive coach will do the same thing.

It just seems like a no-brainer for Thenarse to play Free Safety and Culbert at SS. I don't like Culbert at linebacker because he's just not big enough. Let him roam in space in the defensive backfield.

Covey makes this equation easier to swallow. If he can respond from injury and produce, that will be a great thing for this defense.

Linebacker is a serious question mark going into '08. Ironically, it's unlikely the linebacker play can be any worse than it was in '07. God help us if it is worse.

Some good questions, pking. I was trying to breakdown the LB and S positions the other night and depending on who we move we are going to be thin at one or both positions. Pelini is going to get a good look at these guys this Spring and I feel good about his personnel decisions, unlike the last moron we had at DC. Apologies to morons out there.

First off, hopefully we'll see a streamlined Phillip Dillard at MIKE. If he could play at 235-240, that would be a big improvement IMO. I would pencil Culbert at WILL, and Lawrence at SAM as starters going into Spring ball. I know you disagree with Culbert playing LB but I don't think he has the speed to play S. He's a 4.65 type of guy who's a good athlete but I have my questions about his coverage ability. My dilemma, is that I think Asante would make a better LB as well. It doesn't seem reasonable to put both at LB because we would be beyond thin at S. So I begrudgingly keep Asante at Safety.

At Mike

Dillard (hopefully streamlined)

Covey? (Is he a MIKE, is he any good?)

Impact guy from recruiting class (Compton is still alive, maybe someone else comes in?)

WILL

Culbert

Washington(may have the frame/ability to move over to SAM)

Stafford

Grove

SAM

Lawrence

Wortman(not ideal but we're hurting)

Moore

Fisher

Obviously we would have other walk-ons and whomever else comes in from the recruiting class but it's hard to expect anything from that bunch. So many question marks as to who can actually play or not? I have high hopes for the three kids from last years class (Lawrence, Washington, and Stafford) but I haven't seen them.

At Safety we're looking thin if we do as I have suggested as well

S (without breaking it into SS, FS)

Thenarse

Asante

Hagg

West(do we move a talented guy like him back here)

plethora of walk-ons

incoming recruits

It's very tough to gauge right now. Whatever Pelini decides, he is going to have to be creative to make it all work.

Ali Highsmith 226

Luke Sanders 229

Darry Beckwith 229

yeah no Harper. I didn't see that one coming. Perhaps Pelini knew something we didn't know. The lack of athleticsm didn't help, but I will argue NU had more athleticsm than Kansas, and they had a much better defense than we did.

Of course NU had more talent than KU did. However, NU didn't play the all but the weakest schedule in the country either. KU's D also played as one unit rather than 11 guys out there all going in different directions looking lost 95% of the time. KU's D was solid because they played as a team, and they were fundamentally sound. They didn't get crushed with misdirection.

One of the best LB's ever to play at NU was Farley. He was somewhat small, but was tremendously fast. IMO, speed kills. If you take the same coaching, but change up the speed the speed will always win.

I know this position is a real question mark for us...However I believe we will see marked improvment out of current players, and oh by the way we are not done recruiting yet either. Sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned, I can't wait to see how much we improve on the field. Just my 2 cents.

What about Roy Helu moving over to LB? I remember when he was being recruited it was mentioned on either these message boards or another one? 6'0" 210...put 10 pounds on him and I would imagine he could still run a 4.5-4.6...what do you think?

He could probably be a good LB in a couple years, but he is a pretty good rb right now, so why not leave him there?

What about Roy Helu moving over to LB? I remember when he was being recruited it was mentioned on either these message boards or another one? 6'0" 210...put 10 pounds on him and I would imagine he could still run a 4.5-4.6...what do you think?

He could probably be a good LB in a couple years, but he is a pretty good rb right now, so why not leave him there?

Leave him at RB or last year was a waste for him. BC liked the idea of moving players between off/def and I hated it. If you want to move them around on def fine, but the switching of sides is a waste of time/talent (see Culbert and Leon Jackson).