chamrocck

Player: Chris Freeman

Hometown: Trotwood, OH

Position: OT

Height: 6'9"

Weight: 325 lbs.

40 time: 5.2

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Miami, Penn State, Kentucky, Florida, LSU, NC State, Michigan, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Alabama, West Virginia

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Basketball player has emerged as raw football prospect. This kid is big!

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 25% We are the first to offer.

• 1 month later...

Player: Chris Freeman

Hometown: Trotwood, OH

Position: OT

Height: 6'9"

Weight: 325 lbs.

40 time: 5.2

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Florida, Kentucky, Miami (FL), Penn State

Favorites: Nebraska, Florida, Kentucky, Miami (FL), Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report: stargold.gif

Assessing the talent:

"A prospect that is going to get lots of looks before its all said and done. A longtime basketball player who has seen the light and will look to earn a scholarship from football. Has a big frame with good feet, must keep weight in check." via Scout

Personally, he reminds me a lot of Michael Oher (Ole Miss OT). Lanky with a basketball background. Fits the prototype for the new wave of offensive tackles. Will be big time. Possibly the best OT in the 2009 class.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 5%.

485971.jpg

From Husker Journal:

FEBRUARY 17, 2008. PREP STAR

CHRIS FREEMAN, OL, 6-9, 325, 5.2, TROTWOOD, OHIO

Chris has offers from Penn State, Florida, Kentucky, Nebraska, Miami, LSU and North Carolina State.

“Right now I don’t have any favorites.” said Freeman, “I’m going to Penn State (3/1) and Ohio State (3/9) junior days with my dad.”

“I plan on making some unofficial visits this summer, I have it all planned out. I will probably make it to Miami, LSU, Florida and possibly Nebraska.” he said.

“Nebraska was the first one to offer me, Bo Pelini is recruiting me. He is a cool guy and funny. With all the rules it’s hard to talk to them (Nebraska coaches). I get a lot of letters from Nebraska with information about the school.”

“I’m a offensive player but defensive players really know about Bo and what he did at LSU.” said Freeman.

“I called the Florida Offensive line Coach (John Hevesy) a couple of times.” he said, “He’s a real nice guy, my parents have talked to him on the phone and really like him. We first met Coach Hevesy last year at my high school. He told me to give him a call some day.”

“I like Penn State they have a great staff and tradition is very good.” said Freeman, “Penn State coaches said they like my size, I’m quick off the ball and have good feet for my size.”

“Ohio State is my home state I grew up a Buckeye fan. Ohio State has been on me since my Freshman or Sophomore year. Coach Tressel is a very good coach. They are like Penn State, lots of tradition and history.”

“I don’t know much about Miami until I get there,” he said, “I know Miami has a nice environment. Coach Shannon seems like a good guy.”

• 1 month later...

here is an article metioning freeman...

Chris Freeman, a mammoth 6-foot-7, 325-pound offensive tackle from Trotwood-Madison High School in Ohio, is from coach Bo Pelini's home state and the Huskers are making a bid for him. Although Freeman won't be easy to get signed, things are looking up. That first offer means a lot to a recruit.

"Nebraska was my first offer so, of course, I have to keep them in mind," Freeman said. "Coach (Bo) Pelini is a cool guy. I've talked to him a couple of times on the phone. He'll bring a lot of energy to the team.

"I'm probably going to go down there this summer and check it out. I know they've got great fan support, and that will be one of the main factors in my decision. I'd really like to go to a game there next fall and take it all in."

A player of his size has to have more offers than Nebraska and he does. Name a top Division-I program and he has an offer from it. Penn State, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Michigan, Miami, North Carolina State and Nebraska are some of them. You can expect Ohio State will end up being in the picture at some point in time. He will be visiting other schools this summer.

"I plan to take a lot of unofficial visits," he said. "I'd like to go to Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Penn State and a lot more. I'll trim it down to a top five or so by the end of the summer, and I'll plan to take all of my official visits next fall - at least three or four of them before making a decision."

Freeman has a few things in mind for the school of his choice and it would seem to fit Nebraska.

"I want to play for a good coaching staff," he said. "I'd like to play in a great environment and campus. I'd like to have great fan support."

Rivals.com has not ranked Chris Freeman yet, but with the impressive list of schools that have offered him a scholarship, and his size and quickness, it should end up placing him high on their list of offensive tackle prospects.

Link

Is he originally from Marrero or did he just move there? I thought he was a teammate of Doug Rippy in Columbus, OH last season.

You are right he is. My mistake. Edited and changed.

Rippy transferred to Trotwood-Madison (near Dayton) last year to get escape the dangers of Columbus. (Or to play for a team that appears on TV.)

A player of his size has to have more offers than Nebraska and he does. Name a top Division-I program and he has an offer from it. Penn State, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Michigan, Miami, North Carolina State and Nebraska are some of them. You can expect Ohio State will end up being in the picture at some point in time.

Link

Oh to be 6'7" and young:

Has played one high school game. Recently declined to be measured at camp. Eye-balled at 6'7" 300 lbs

Ohio State fans are providing their usual calm, level-headed analysis:

Trotwood kids don't get offers from Ohio State.