SPORTING NEWS RATING OF NEW COACH HIRES

Some of his past "A" coaches...Fran for A&M, Billy C and Mike Stoops. Two fired, one on the hot seat.

His only "F" Rich Brooks at Kentucky looks one hell of alot better than many of the better grades that are already fired.

More to prove that this guy doesnt know his lowest opening from a hole in the ground.

ME...

Still not sure why so many are high on Jim Grobe..A career 50% winner.

Because he took a basketball school, gave them a football team and won the ACC. He is a good coach and i love bo pelini, but i would have taken paul johnson or jim grobe over him. GT is going to be good in a few years

Still..Have a problem with anybody who went 0-2 against Callihan.

And do we have a good enough Basketball team to allow Grobe to do his "Magic" here? :box

wikipedia Prior to coaching at Wake Forest, he was coach of the Ohio Bobcats from 1995-2000, where he compiled a 33-33-1 record. His all-time record hovers around 50%. He led Ohio to an 8-3 record in 1997 and a 7-4 record in 2000.

On February 27, 2007, the 55 yr old signed a 10 year contract extension through 2016...After backing out of Arkansas.

apparently the editior at sporting news does not think to highly of the new coach as nu.. not sure what to think about this article, even if the guy knows what he is talking about...but he seems to thinks so.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=332276

Anyone who thinks Skippy is a good hire doesn't know right from left. The guy has issues wherever he coaches (see Colorado and Washington).

Well..Being Left handed only when I write and throw, and Right Handed for everything else..You could be right.

I wouldn't want Skippy to be OUR coach, but he's a good fit for UCLA..And the BoneHeaded things he did at CU and UW are a lot more easily correctable than not being able to develop talent or suddenly be able to make halftime adjustments...Judging by his Press Conference.. <_< , he seems to have taken ownership of his past mistakes..Which is a lot more than I expect from some previous "A coaches".

Above all, he was winning 69% of his games..(66-30) Not good enough for NU..But pretty good for UCLA standards.

wikipedia His 2001 and 2002 teams posted records of 8-4 and 7-6 respectively, as criticism began to mount that the team was becoming less physical and playing more of a finesse style. Passing yardage records were routinely broken while Washington's running game fell off dramatically.

Neuheisel was fired in the summer of 2003 from the University of Washington for participating in a neighborhood pool for the NCAA Basketball Tournament . He first denied the accusation to investigators <_< , and before admitting to it after consultation with school officials. The gambling case became a local sensation when it was revealed that he had received an internal UW memo which authorized gambling in off-campus tournament basketball pools :bang . That fall, the NCAA infractions committee found Neuheisel violated NCAA rules against gambling but didn't sanction him, citing the memo by Washington's former compliance officer that mistakenly authorized this type of gambling. It also became apparent that the NCAA violated its own rules when questioning Neuheisel about the gambling.

Legal proceedings enabled Neuheisel to collect a $4.5 million settlement as the NCAA and University of Washington were forced to abandon their case

Still not sure why so many are high on Jim Grobe..A career 50% winner.

UW and the NCAA got after him on the basketball pool because he bet like 25k on it. If it had been $100, no one would have cared. But to throw down such a large amount, especially knowing the position your in and how the NCAA feels about gambling was just plain retarded. This is the first time in a long time i agree with what Mark May said on ESPN. He thinks UCLA will be on probation within 3-5 yrs. Cant disagree. I about fell out of my chair when i heard UCLA hired him, i thought he was on the black list of coaches who would never get another shot. Just goes to show you can pretty much do anything you want and someone will give you a 3rd chance. <_<

I thought he did bet $100 with the winner taking 25K

Enough to make even me watch more than just the last couple of minutes of a College Basketball game.

(I always preferred HS BB).

What exactly did he do at Colorado other than wimpify them into a finesse team and maybe contact a recruit or 3 when he wasn't supposed to?..Bad enough..but I doubt he makes that mistake again.

Why would anyone here care about UCLA football to begin with? However, I digress, let's remember one thing, college football writers have a job to do, that is to write about college football, now they don't have to be write but they do have to demonstrate some degree of knowledge even when we perhaps think we have more. these articles are put out there if nothing more then to stir the pot, in this case it did just that on a NU board.

Why would anyone here care about UCLA football to begin with? However, I digress, let's remember one thing, college football writers have a job to do, that is to write about college football, now they don't have to be write but they do have to demonstrate some degree of knowledge even when we perhaps think we have more. these articles are put out there if nothing more then to stir the pot, in this case it did just that on a NU board.

Yeah..We don't play them until Sep 08 2012 at Pasadena, Calif. (Pelini will probably be coaching tOSU by then).

It's the offseason..There's not much else to do but bitch about kooky writers pretending they know as much about Football as the rest of us do.

Jocking the Neuheisel-hire lost me.

Neuheisel is soft and UCLA will win a decent amount of games but be soft in the clutch with him as coach.

I seriously doubt USC is sweating that hire. I think they'd have sweated Leach or June Jones, especially if they kept DeWayne Walker at DC or used their newfound budget to bring in an ace-DC from elsewhere.

I see UCLA getting over the .500-mark but not making a national-splash under Neuheisel.

t-bomb25 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:29 am

Look at this article from the Omaha World Herald after Callahan and Cosgrove were hired; This is funny if you look at Hayes' comments.

Hayes and the Sporting News give Nebraska an "A" for hiring Callahan, and Hayes thinks that would be an accurate grade for the addition of Cosgrove.

"I think Cosgrove's a fantastic hire," Hayes said. "That's a guy a lot of programs have looked at the last five or six years, but he's been very loyal to Barry Alvarez (Wisconsin's head coach). I think he's done a lot with that defense, considering the limitations he's had there."

Here is the link to the entire article: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&...mp;u_sid=977852

The part about Hayes is towards the bottom.

This is a post from the feedback section of the Hayes article. I'd say t-bomb pretty well nailed our friend Mr. Hayes. :)

And again it seems that some people cant get past the 'proven' part on coaches. Winning at one place doesnt mean winning at another. Just ask how that worked out for A&M with Fran. The 'experts' loved that hire.

Winning at two schools AS A HEAD COACH- (i.e. Paul Johnson) makes you a proven commodity-- it proves that you can win as a head coach. In his case, he turned around losing programs (doormats). Many put Grobe in this category turning a school known only for basketball into a winner.

By contrast-- winning one game as an interim head coach piloting another HC's team (i.e. Bo with Frankie's team) --- doesn't make you a proven commodity.

Some would think that, with its strong football tradition, NU could get a coach from the former category rather than the latter.

but opinions vary.

TO got the best guy he could.

It was Bo.

Bo will do ok.

GO BO!!

And again it seems that some people cant get past the 'proven' part on coaches. Winning at one place doesnt mean winning at another. Just ask how that worked out for A&M with Fran. The 'experts' loved that hire.

Winning at two schools AS A HEAD COACH- (i.e. Paul Johnson) makes you a proven commodity-- it proves that you can win as a head coach. In his case, he turned around losing programs (doormats). Many put Grobe in this category turning a school known only for basketball into a winner.

By contrast-- winning one game as an interim head coach piloting another HC's team (i.e. Bo with Frankie's team) --- doesn't make you a proven commodity.

Some would think that, with its strong football tradition, NU could get a coach from the former category rather than the latter.

but opinions vary.

TO got the best guy he could.

It was Bo.

Bo will do ok.

GO BO!!

What some of these 'experts' dont seem to understand, is there is a very big difference between taking a doormat program in a mid-major conference and getting them to 8 or so wins, and leading one of the big boys in a BCS conference to 10+ wins. There is no magic bullet to pick a head coach for the big schools. A 'proven' Meyer worked well for Florida. A 'proven' Fran didnt for A&M. Untested Stoops worked for OU, Richt worked for Georgia. Coker didnt for Miami, and Stoops isnt working for Arizona.

I think the talking head should maybe look at who did the hiring, and say to himself, "Dr. Tom is one of the greatest coaches of all time, he must see something I dont" But saying that would never mesh with the ego of a talking head.

What some of these 'experts' dont seem to understand, is there is a very big difference between taking a doormat program in a mid-major conference and getting them to 8 or so wins, and leading one of the big boys in a BCS conference to 10+ wins. There is no magic bullet to pick a head coach for the big schools. A 'proven' Meyer worked well for Florida. A 'proven' Fran didnt for A&M. Untested Stoops worked for OU, Richt worked for Georgia. Coker didnt for Miami, and Stoops isnt working for Arizona.

I think the talking head should maybe look at who did the hiring, and say to himself, "Dr. Tom is one of the greatest coaches of all time, he must see something I dont" But saying that would never mesh with the ego of a talking head.

Good observation strigori...couldn't agree more.

So NOW, we're saying Frank was a "good hire"?

Good observation strigori...couldn't agree more.

So NOW, we're saying Frank was a "good hire"?

He won 75% of his games at NU. Was he great, no, and probably the wrong guy to lead NU into the 2000's. Good, yeah, he was good, better than most. Good just isn't quite good enough at dear old Nebraska U.

I have no problem with this article at all, and it has nothing to do with Bo. I love Bo, however the thing that speaks to me is that we are supposed to be Nebraska, we are supposed to be this powerhouse program yet we aren't willing to get a staff that represents that. Michigan went out and got a top coach and is paying him top money, Texas went out and got one of the best defensive coordinators in CFB in what is basically a lateral move, and yet we are coming off our worst stretch in fifty years, it looks like we will only pay the same for a head coach as Southern Methodist and get assistant coaches that either haven't coached in years, coached lately but weren't sought after by anyone else or haven't ever coached at all.

Taking off the rose colored glasses I'd give us a D+ at best.

Now when I put them back on I see a staff that will bring NU back to the kind of hard, fundamental football we used to have, a coach that will revitalize this team and show these kids what it really means to be a Black shirt.

But I'm not going to criticize a non-Nebraska fan for saying we could have done a lot better, when technically we could have done better. Face it, if Bo wasn't here in 2003 he wouldn't have even made our shortlist. He's what we need now, but he isn't the best coach we could have gotten.