• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Old-school Pensick learns from Dad

Lincoln Journal Star

The juxtaposition was striking.

A dozen Lincoln Northeast students giggled and made rather loud small talk. Meanwhile, seated nearby in the school's cafeteria, senior Cole Pensick lamented the state of football. It's becoming "kind of soft," he said. His five-minute discourse on the subject belied his relative youth. Let's just say the kid possesses an old soul when it comes to gridiron matters.

"Football's gotten away from being mean," said the 6-foot-1, 260-pound Pensick, a two-time Super-State lineman. "It's sort of gone NBA. They're calling things now they used to let go."

Things like horse-collar tackles and helmet-to-helmet hits.

"I don't want to be a dirty player at all," Pensick said. "But some of those things are a little too safe."

Northeast coach Dave Svehla recently said of Pensick: "He practices hard, he's physical and he's mean."

Mean in a good way, mind you. Mean in a rugged player sort of way. Mean in a throwback kind of way. Why should anybody be surprised if the kid's a tad old-school? After all, Pensick counts among his friends Bill Barnett, 52, a standout defensive tackle at Nebraska in the late 1970s who shared playing time with Cole's father, Dan Pensick.

Dan Pensick is a gregarious sort who is peacock proud that his son is following in his footsteps as an interior defensive lineman at dear old NU. The younger Pensick's non-binding oral commitment to Nebraska last January becomes set in stone Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period.

"Cole's going to make relationships with teammates that'll last the rest of his life," the elder Pensick said.

Dan Pensick reels off names of ex-teammates with whom he's remained close over the years: Barnett, Barney Cotton, Kerry Weinmaster, Dan Steiner, John Havekost, and several others. No wonder Cole Pensick has an old-school inclination, growing up around a bunch of former linemen. And no wonder Cole chose Nebraska. Really, was there ever a doubt?

"When the coaching staff changed after the 2007 season, it was a relief because it took the pressure off having to make that decision," Dan Pensick said. "The old coaching staff (led by Bill Callahan) was showing interest in Cole, but they had their height and weight demands of linemen. And Cole is not quite in the height pattern of most of those guys' wishes. So we thought at that stage we had better look elsewhere."

What was the previous staff looking for height-wise?

"Six-foot-4 or 6-5, in that range," Dan Pensick said.

Notable exceptions were 2006 starters Ola Dagunduro and Barry Cryer, both 6-2. The 2008 starters were 6-4 Ndamukong Suh and 6-3 Ty Steinkuhler, with Jared Crick (6-6) and Terrence Moore (6-3) serving as top backups.

"Cole being 6-1 or 6-2, we were concerned about that," Dan Pensick said. "The previous staff didn't make any qualms about it. Every time they came up to Cole, it was, 'Is he going to get taller?' Then the staff changed, and things happened fast."

Bo Pelini took over as Nebraska head coach on Dec. 2, 2007. On Jan. 16, 2008, Pelini met with Cole and Dan and offered Cole a scholarship. Cole accepted on the spot, becoming the first player to verbally commit to the Huskers' 2009 recruiting class.

It was around that time when Cole stood next to former Louisiana State All-America defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey at the Outland Trophy banquet in Omaha.

"His body's bigger than mine, but he looked to be the same height as me," Cole said.

Dorsey is listed at 6-1, 297 on the Kansas City Chiefs' Web site.

"Bo told us, 'We're designing our defense in the middle to have guys who can plug it up and get underneath people's shoulder pads,'" Dan Pensick said.

Said Cole: "Coach Pelini and his staff never said anything to me about height. They said, 'If you can play, you can play.'"

Please rewind to 1979. Nebraska's middle guards were 6-foot, 220-pound Weinmaster and 6-2, 225-pound Oudious Lee. The Huskers led the Big Eight in total defense, allowing 216.6 yards per game — and only 12 touchdowns all season while finishing 10-2.

"They were tough, quick ballplayers," Dan Pensick said of Weinmaster and Lee.

Tough and quick, with maybe a dash of orneriness, like Cole Pensick. Ornery in a good way, mind you — an old-school way.

Suh teaching will help, Pensick says

Steve Sipple

One thing I didn't mention in the column about Cole Pensick is how much he looks forward to learning from All-Big 12 nose tackle Ndamukong Suh.

"The coaches basically say Suh is a great people person and leader," Pensick said. "He helps the younger kids. If they're doing something wrong and Carl Pelini doesn't see it or Coach 'P' (John Papuchis) doesn't see it, Suh will pull him aside. Carl was saying that Suh finally got a good grasp of everything toward the end of this season and was teaching the younger kids.

"I came to practices and watched them as a group," Pensick added. "I'm looking forward to being part of the d-line, because the d-line kind of makes or breaks the defense, really."

He closely watched Nebraska's defensive line struggle in 2007. He also noted its improvement in 2008.

"Coach Pelini's defensive line scheme works," Pensick said. "You could tell each game they kept getting better and better. They were understanding his philosophy and going after it.

"I'm very proud to be part of that."

Guys thanks for the updates on Cole. I'm very excited to see this young man on NU's D-line. Sounds like a true stud and these D-Tackles are priceless. I will always pay more homage/attention to this position over any other position on the football field as this makes or breaks your entire defense. You gotta have a very, very mean streak in you to play this spot. Hopefully he can learn a lot from Suh and Carl while red shirting and filling out.

• 3 months later...