SIGNED S Mason Wald

huskers13

Spartness, I hope no one gets it twisted that I am bashing the kid. I like Mason as a prospect, because I love any kid who is not afraid to lay the wood. However, for some to make it out like they wonder why he isn't a 4* prospect are going overboard.

He is in the heart of SEC country, playing for a powerhouse in Alabama. His only offer is Samford. That alone should calm everyone down a bit.

Really, I think of Wald as a taller (not heavier) version of Brandon Rigoni. Nothing wrong with that, because Rigoni was a stud on ST for us and brought a style of play we did not see from any player last year. But that isn't exactly someone I would consider a stud performer.

Major buzzkill. :blink:

Well then maybe Huskervision should hire the producer of this video. :restore

Spartness, I hope no one gets it twisted that I am bashing the kid. I like Mason as a prospect, because I love any kid who is not afraid to lay the wood. However, for some to make it out like they wonder why he isn't a 4* prospect are going overboard.

He is in the heart of SEC country, playing for a powerhouse in Alabama. His only offer is Samford. That alone should calm everyone down a bit.

Really, I think of Wald as a taller (not heavier) version of Brandon Rigoni. Nothing wrong with that, because Rigoni was a stud on ST for us and brought a style of play we did not see from any player last year. But that isn't exactly someone I would consider a stud performer.

Major buzzkill. :blink:

Well then maybe Huskervision should hire the producer of this video. :restore

I'm sorry dude. It's just weird that Wald may be the most overrated zero star recruit on the planet. :lol:

This guy is incredible. I just watched his highlight film at Rivals, he's one of the hardest hitters I've seen out of high school in a very long time. Seems to be a ball hawker too, which is nice. I'd love to see the things Pelini could do with the kid, and it would be nice to have a true headhunter in the secondary again, so these 5'10 WRs from Tech and KSU think twice about their slants and skinny posts.

Edit: mods, please merge this to the Mason Wald thread that is in the recruiting forum, thanks. Sorry, it's too early for me.

From the roster:

S:

4 Asante, Larry S 6-1 210 Jr. Alexandria, Va. (Coffeyville Community College) (Hayfield)

8 Cassidy, Austin S 6-1 205 RFr. Lincoln, Neb. (Southwest)

28 Hagg, Eric S 6-1 195 So. Peoria, Ariz. (Ironwood)

36 May, Matthew S 6-1 195 RFr. Imperial, Neb. (Chase County)

33 O'Hanlon, Matt S 5-11 200 Sr. Bellevue, Neb. (Bellevue East)

3 Thenarse, Rickey S 6-0 190 Jr. Los Angeles, Calif. (Jordan)

24 Watson, Adam S 6-0 185 So. Lincoln, Neb. (Niwot (Colo.))

CB:

21 Amukamara, Prince CB 6-1 180 So. Glendale, Ariz. (Apollo)

14 Blue, Anthony CB 5-10 175 So. Cedar Hill, Texas, (Cedar Hill)

27 Ford, Ryan CB 5-11 175 So. Winfield, Ala. (Winfield)

5 Murillo, Armando CB 6-0 195 Sr. Tampa, Fla. (Eastern Arizona Community College) (Robinson)

18 Sullivan, Shawn CB 5-10 190 RFr. Brenham, Texas (Brenham)

22 West, Anthony CB 6-0 195 So. San Diego, Calif. (Point Loma)

Who do we have at safety?

Thenarse. Asante. Culbert (actually he's more of a LB now).

LaTravis Washington?...who else (not including recruit class).

According to the OLD depth charts... on Huskers.com

SS - Asante, O'Hanlon

FS - Thenarse, Hagg

Also listed at safety - Watson, May and Cassidy

Culbertson was WLB and Washington at CB.

Of course, Bo may shake things up a bit!

Heard the staff told him we no longer have room for him after PJ Smith commit.

Maybe Mason will continue what's become something of a trend this year for NU and eschew a scholly offer from a smaller school in order to walk-on at NU (Thorson, Maher, Donahue, etc). One way or another, I really hope he winds up N!

I doubt this kid will walk on for us. He had a chance to come here but sat on the offer too long, and now it seems to be gone. But the difference between this kid and our walk-ons is that those kids are the Nebraska-bred types, whereas Wald doesn't have that commitment to the program. If he has to walk on and pay money somewhere, he might decide to just stick around home and go to 'Bama. I hate to say it, but we may have lost Wald for good.

Thanks for the depth chart...it looks like very shaky depth. In this year's class I see Levorson, potentially one of the Osborne brothers, and PJ Smith. Are we going to try Sean Fisher as safety? Move Kenny Wilson there?

I'm a little worried about how inexperienced we'll be back there.

About walking on, he's also out of state, that'd be expensive, wouldn't it?

Thanks for the depth chart...it looks like very shaky depth. In this year's class I see Levorson, potentially one of the Osborne brothers, and PJ Smith. Are we going to try Sean Fisher as safety? Move Kenny Wilson there?

I'm a little worried about how inexperienced we'll be back there.

About walking on, he's also out of state, that'd be expensive, wouldn't it?

Amukamara has some experience and we also have Ford, Watson and Sullivan. Not sure if the last three got any playing time.