If you're going to be spending big, get a Kuro...

if not, stick with a budget LCD or DLP....you can get really good deals on Vizio's (which aren't half bad of televisions).

If you go big, 1080p is definitely a must. At smaller screen sizes the difference between 720 and 1080 isn't as noticeable, but the bigger you get the more of a chasm there is between the two.

Plasmas are overpriced and usually under perform. Plus if you play games, your risking getting some major burn-in. LCD's are the way to go. You may however be able to find a cheaper (compared to LCD) DLP with the same specs but it will be larger and you will have to replace the lamp about every 5000 hours. DLPs still provide the best contrast ration however. I have had a Infocus projector (720 DLP) and a Sharp Aqueous 42" LCD. Both, were excellent. As far as 1080 interlaced vs 1080 progressive, go with the 1080p. You'll be glad you did later.

Actually guys, I'm in the A/V business and I can tell you anything over 40" go Plasma. A lot of the plasma hate you hear comes from the first generation of them. They have improved dramatically over the last year and now are considered just as good if not better in some areas than a LCD tv. The Plasma will give you faster response time to minimize motion blur and plasmas have the richest and deepest blacks/colors out of any screen on the market. Also, burn-in is a thing of the past....and not to mention they are a lot cheaper!

Well fellas, for the most part, i have to disagree with you guys...

Unless you are willing to buy a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player (go with BD if you are), a 1080p TV won't do you much good. Right now at least. No tv stations broadcast their signal in 1080p due to bandwidth issues right now, so TV won't go any higher than 1080i. Again, for now at least.

And from what i've heard, the Plasma vs. LCD argument comes down to the size you are going to buy, what you use it for, and the brand. I think Plasma is better as long as you get a good model, but overall LCD is more reliable. If you are going to buy a TV less than 42 inches, you can't tell a difference between LCD and Plasma, so go with LCD. If more, go with Plasma.

Dish HD is great specially American Chopper HD :)

I have a 46" Samsung LCD 1080i that looks great but the black fade out is kinda weird. It's not the 120hz version so there can be some artifact with lots of motion although Transformers looked pretty good. My son has a 46" Plasma that looks good also. Go with what you eye tells you. Just like stereo what every sounds best to you. my .02

GBR

Well fellas, for the most part, i have to disagree with you guys...

Unless you are willing to buy a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player (go with BD if you are), a 1080p TV won't do you much good. Right now at least. No tv stations broadcast their signal in 1080p due to bandwidth issues right now, so TV won't go any higher than 1080i. Again, for now at least.

First of all, you seem to be forgetting about videogame consoles (although I guess you can count PS3). Secondly, while tv stations aren't broadcasting in 1080p right now, it's really not going to be long before they do. If you have the money you should absolutely buy a 1080p tv now, because it IS a big difference (especially the bigger the tv), and it is going to become the standard and stay that way for a while.