former Husker in trouble with law

np_husker

This was before my time, but do any of you remember this guy?

Former player arrested in Osborne check fraud

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 - 11:04:12 am CST

A former Nebraska football player was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of passing a check from University of Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne.

Lynn Finney, 54, was arrested at 1 p.m. Wednesday. He is suspected of defrauding Old Chicago of $161 in food and cash on Feb. 12 with a previously electronically voided check.

The check was made out to Wal-Mart and came from the account of Tom and Nancy Osborne.

Finney, who is listed as a transient in police records, was a linebacker for the Huskers for two years, starting in 1972.

In high school, he was standout defensive player at Pius X High School and was named outstanding defensive player in Nebraska’s Shrine Bowl.

Lincoln Police Officer Katie Flood said last week that the Old Chicago server apparently didn't realize the check had been stamped electronically and that a transaction already had occurred. Finney allegedly got $60 worth of food and the rest in cash.

It's uncertain where he found the used check and if he doctored it to make it look like it had not been used before.

According to Flood, he told the server at the Old Chicago in the Haymarket he had gotten an endorsed check from the Osbornes in relation to a fundraising event for cancer.

Finney left college to study ballet and became a stage performer for several years. He developed the Finney Method, combining ballet stretching moves with his athletic experience to train players for the Harlem Globetrotters and the San Diego Chargers.

In a 1995 interview, Finney said he got caught up in the recreational drug scene and had to go through rehabilitation to kick a crack cocaine habit that cost him $150,000.

In 1995, he was working in construction and speaking to school and youth groups about the dangers of doing drugs.

More recently, Flood said, he has been a fixture in downtown Lincoln.

This guy is an idiot. Can't wait for the rumors to start swirling around with this.

The guy maybe an idiot but so are a large number of us. Some of us get lucky and avoid certain troubles, some of us get lucky and have others around us to help us avoid trouble and most of us through the grace of God avoid troubles. I guess what I'm saying is from this idiot I hope he works it out and someone who can help him get is life back together finds a way to get him started on the right track again. I hope he makes it.