Biggest Blown Calls In Husker Games

On a pass, until the ball hits the ground it is still live isn't it?

A player may NOT kick a ball. Should have been a 15 yarder

was it a kick or did it bounce off of his foot? i may be wrong but i believe if it bounces off of the foot without ever hitting the ground then it is still a live ball? again i might be wrong.

I'm no reff by any means, but i find it pretty hard to believe that they would penalize someone when the ball hits their foot. You can't seriously think he kicked that on purpse because he knew Davidson was going to be there, do you?

thats my general thought, im sure it has happened in other games by other teams as well. i know i have seen it happen within the last few years, with no flags being thrown.

i think someone is just mad about losing! :box

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingru...BGameReport.pdf

scroll down, second page, left side. note "illegally kicking ball" as an extant foul.

what you are missing is that it was NOT a kick, it clearly bounced off of his foot which is NOT a foul. if he wound back his leg and thrust it forward then yes it would have been illegal but as evidenced by the video i posted above, that did not happen.

Missouri-Nebraska 1997

Frost throws to Wiggins, Wiggins gets hit by Julian Jones. Wiggins kicks ball into air, davidson dives and catches it. No call on kicking the ball.

Go to

, it gives you a different angle and better picture quality. The play is at 1:21 into the video.

Like you said, Wiggins was hit right? Well in the video it shows him falling over after the hit. It cant be a kick if Wiggins was hit and as you should see, after his body hits the ground is when he hits the football, and hes not even looking at the football. His legs bounce of the ground (which im sure yours would do in that situation) and hit the ball. Hows the first way you get up after you get hit over in pads? Well if you want toget straight up you lift your legs in some way Im sure. Bottom line, it wasnt an illegal kick.

The most obviously blown call that resulted in a big play in a big game?

1988, at UCLA. The Bruins ring up 28 points in Q1. Early in Q2, Mark Blazek picks off a pass and falls to his knee. It's not that his knee scraped the ground, he came down solidly. Then he gets up, looks around, and realizes he never heard a whistle, and starts running to the end zone. Players on both sides are coming on and off the field. Blazek goes 75 yards untouched and unchased. Never a whistle. The ref shrugs and signals touchdown. UCLA scored the next 10 and NU was never in the game, so it's pretty well forgotten.

1982 Penn State out of bounds catch was kind of bang-bang. It really wasn't close but you can see how an official could blink and miss it. But it was a huge blown call because of the timing. I consider it the most damaging because we we had a truly awesome team and never got a shot at the title.

94 FSU OB, bad calls, but both judgement calls. I don't recall the clip that well but the non-fumble was in a pileup and not too easy to see.

The Wiggins kick could've been called but that's really a judgement call on intent. He didn't kick at the ball, it landed on his foot. I believe he probably lifted his foot up to keep it alive, but could a ref really make that judgement? It definitely could've been from the hit.

I had always thought the Ruud hit on the kickoff in OU 1978 was a horrible call but I heard a couple years ago that the returner was called out of bounds when he caught the ball, before the hit.

Missouri-Nebraska 1997

Frost throws to Wiggins, Wiggins gets hit by Julian Jones. Wiggins kicks ball into air, davidson dives and catches it. No call on kicking the ball.

Go to

, it gives you a different angle and better picture quality. The play is at 1:21 into the video.

Like you said, Wiggins was hit right? Well in the video it shows him falling over after the hit. It cant be a kick if Wiggins was hit and as you should see, after his body hits the ground is when he hits the football, and hes not even looking at the football. His legs bounce of the ground (which im sure yours would do in that situation) and hit the ball. Hows the first way you get up after you get hit over in pads? Well if you want toget straight up you lift your legs in some way Im sure. Bottom line, it wasnt an illegal kick.

Wiggins admitted in an interview afterwards that he did indeed intend to keep the ball alive by kicking it, but like previous posts, refs can't read minds and unless it was a clear penalty, let the players determine the outcome of the game.

Worst call - K-State "doesn't the face-mask come out of the back of the helmet?" call. Kind of obvious.

Perhaps not a biggie and I don't know if it would have changed the outcome, but in 1962 Mizzou beat Nebraska 16-7.

Johnny Roland broke loose on a long "Touchdown" run. Only problem, the ball had come out of Roland's grasp about the three yard line. It rolled through the end zone and should have been Nebraska ball at the 20. Our seats were on the three yard line where it happened. We went nuts, but there was nothing we could do!

Unfortunately, the ref who was about 20-30 yds behind Roland signaled "Touchdown".

Think of the biggest blown calls by the officials in nebraska games and post the one you think was worst. Eric crouch facemask, 82 penn st., lord throwing a td from his knees, whatever comes to mind.

Ill start it off with the '82 penn st. game when the reciever caught the ball six rows up in the student section and they called it complete.

I thought the facemask was frost?

I am seriously drawing a blank on blown calls here...maybe i get so mad i temporarily black out and lose the memory permanantely. Who knows but I do like the ones your threw out there.

It was Crouch against K State.